• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Epping-Ongar URGENT INFORMATION APPEAL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I urgently need information (Photos, videos, DEV videos, text documents etc) on the old Central Line's Epping-Ongar route east of North Weald...

I have Video 125 Central Line DEV, but half of the route is edited out.

Any help with providing me with information east of North Weald will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Met Driver

Established Member
I can't personally offer much help, but it might be worth paying a visit to the Epping Ongar Railway in person (assuming you haven't already done so) so you can see it for yourself etc. Obviously what you see today will be slightly different to the way things were, but the route itself is obviously unchanged! Just a thought?

The Snap

Established Member
Seth said:
I can't personally offer much help, but it might be worth paying a visit to the Epping Ongar Railway in person (assuming you haven't already done so) so you can see it for yourself etc. Obviously what you see today will be slightly different to the way things were, but the route itself is obviously unchanged! Just a thought?

I think EB is planning on today. He is hoping to get a cab ride, or a cab video on the line today as far as I know. :)

Daniel

Established Member
The 3rd and 4th rails were removed by London Underground.

The enitre strench from North Weald ==(EAST)==> Ongar is being preserved by the EOR Presservation society. They run a DMU every weeked. It doesnt go to Epping, as LU wont allow it. Its service pattern is:

North Weald ===> Ongar ===> North Weald ===> Coopersale ===> Northweald

and repeats its cycle. Last station served is Northweald, the DMU is kept on the track at Coopersale overnight.

New%20DMU.gif

[EDIT]
EB, I just thought... would Epping Forest council have anything of use?

Ariel maps or something...?

If it has, I can ask my Dad if he can get something for you...??

Coxster

Established Member
Rich said:
He is hoping to get a cab ride
Could just look out the front of the DMMU (I'm guessing they'll have the blinds up...).

memorex said:
It doesnt go to Epping, as LU wont allow it.
I thought it was clearence issues with a certain bridge?

The Snap

Established Member
Coxster said:
Could just look out the front of the DMMU (I'm guessing they'll have the blinds up...).

Not a bad idea, although it depends on the unit I guess...?

I thought it was clearence issues with a certain bridge?

But surely they don't want DMUs from preserved lines running into Epping, the terminus of the Central line...?

Coxster

Established Member
Rich said:
But srely they don't want DMUs from preserved l;ines running into Epping, the terminus of the Central line...?
Doesn't matter what they want if the EOR can't get trains under the bridge to start with...

Met Driver

Established Member
The bridge clearance issue was resolved quite a while ago when the trackbed was lowered. The problem now, as Memorex says, is LU's refusal to allow the EOR to run into Epping station itself.

Coxster

Established Member
Seth said:
The bridge clearance issue was resolved quite a while ago when the trackbed was lowered. The problem now, as Memorex says, is LU's refusal to allow the EOR to run into Epping station itself.
Cheers for that confirmation. If LU approved would they just need to re-signal the connection or is it already done?

joy54.gen

I visited the railway before services began running and was given a walking tour of the route (The DMU was under repair). There was a long running dispute between the EOR and ORPS. There was after the 1994 closure a request for bids for the preservation of the line, there were two main bidders: Pilot Developments (current owners under name EOR) and the ORPS. Pilot Developments consisted of several local businessmen including owner of Blue Triangle buses Roger Wright. ORPS has apparently already formed and established good relations with London Underground. Notably this had allowed restoration of the disused North Weald signal box even before the line had closed. A bitter blow it was then when Pilot Developments were the preferred bidders as they proposed to run profitable commuter trains. Pilot offered ORPS the opportunity operate heritage steam trains for a fee, it proved impossible to reach an agreement. Sale of the railway to Pilot was completed in September 1998. EOR were pleasant enough people to me and explained how ORPS had made their lives hell, apparently the chairman of the ORPS had many council contacts and made several complaints to LUL. EOR had before these interferances been in discussion with LUL to have part funding to build a special platform at Epping which would now have been operational with the railway, this is now a distant future for the railway.

This should give you enough information about the sale of the railway the only bit of the railway I'm familiar with.

LondonBVE

EmergencyBrake went it during the Bear Picnic Event. Sad is he missed the BBQ at North Weald. Anyway he told me that the bus broke down in the morning and staff have to use their car. Poor staffs and their cars.

Alan, do you really have to post everything I told you?

Anyway, I went to EOR last sunday and I got much of the information I needed for the project. Thanks for your help anyway.

That day was a special events day (Teddy Bear Picnic) and it was quite busy. I arrived at Epping station at about 1:30 and I waited for the vintage bus service (at 2 o clock) which did not turn up. After a little while, EOR staff came to Epping station with their cars. I asked them when will the bus come and a young chap replied "Its cars today, theres no bus, the bus wouldnt start this morning so we had to shuttle people between North Weald and Epping with our cars"

*Thinks* I wonder if the staff gets their petrol money back?

James (EOR) said:
Young chap??? That might have been me, if you spoke to me in the station.

Well i can tell you all the info you need to hear or go to my site about the history of the line: www.eohistory.bravehost.com

Cheers
James

Nah, that young chap wasnt you, he was a bit older that you and was in the car when I was on my way to North Weald.

BTW, James, you have a PM from me.

insider

What I do not understand is why EOR does not simply build their own platform the other side of the bridge, they could put buffers etc in, and have a simple walk way beneath the bridge. Or if LUL kick up about that, have their own entrance

Daniel

Established Member
Hello :).

After the meeting about the Central Line in Theydon Bois, I had an interesting chat with an LU representative.

He had told the group that the plan for an extra platform at Epping was rejected due to 'Safety Reason's', (incompatible signalling systems).

However, my group obviously being train enthusiasts weren't going to take that ****e for an answer >=)

Anyway, the outcome answer was:

London Transport Representative said:
If any redevelopment of Epping station is going to take place, London Underground want to be the ones to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.