• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EPS Mk3 @ Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.

GM228

I see what appears to be one of the old EPS Mk3 generators has appeared at UKRL Leicester, any ideas why?

Also curious of the satus/location of the other Mk3s, I think 4 were converted?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
There were five converted. Their locations, to the best of my knowledge, are as follows:

96371 - UKRL Leicester
96372 - Long Marston
96373 - Long Marston
96374 - Wabtec Doncaster
96375 - Long Marston

As to why 96371 has found its' way to Leicester in the last few days I don't know.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
In the last few days? I could have sworn I noticed one there a couple of months ago but OI didn't really take any notice of it...

GM228

Mystery solved.

http://www.wnxx.com/16/1601/150116/96371.htm

From WNXX

"Former 'night star' generator coach 96371, one of five constructed, one other is at Wabtec while the other three at at Long Marston, has been brought to Leicester as part of a project to try to convert its power output to that of a conventional locomotive. If successful the generator coach could be used for stock heating/testing at places such as Ilford where a Class 86 has been used for the task."

Would it be nearly 20 years since it's generators were fired up? Also it looks to be in reasonable condition considering it was in open storage for so long, although inside and the generators are probably not too good.

I can't resist...

How much power can one of these EPS coaches generate?

2 x 350 kVA Cummins engines producing 1500V AC I believe!

Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
Mystery solved.

http://www.wnxx.com/16/1601/150116/96371.htm

From WNXX

"Former 'night star' generator coach 96371, one of five constructed, one other is at Wabtec while the other three at at Long Marston, has been brought to Leicester as part of a project to try to convert its power output to that of a conventional locomotive. If successful the generator coach could be used for stock heating/testing at places such as Ilford where a Class 86 has been used for the task."

Would it be nearly 20 years since it's generators were fired up? Also it looks to be in reasonable condition considering it was in open storage for so long, although inside and the generators are probably not too good.

2 x 350 kVA Cummins engines producing 1500V AC I believe!

Thanks for that! Mystery solved then as you say, and as mentioned another is in use at Wabtec.

As for the generators, I'd have thought if the original generators are useable after a good service - then they can and will probably be used. With the way modern technology is going, it wouldn't be too difficult I'd have thought to replace it with something like the MTUs used in the Class 800s or 73/9s.

BestWestern

Established Member

I can't resist speculating that 'the power output of a conventional locomotive' could run the traction motors of a 442; couldn't it?!! :D

hwl

Established Member

I can't resist speculating that 'the power output of a conventional locomotive' could run the traction motors of a 442; couldn't it?!! :D

You would need 2 to power a 442.

It would need a 73 type reengineering job to power 442...

GM228

Thanks for that! Mystery solved then as you say, and as mentioned another is in use at Wabtec.

As for the generators, I'd have thought if the original generators are useable after a good service - then they can and will probably be used. With the way modern technology is going, it wouldn't be too difficult I'd have thought to replace it with something like the MTUs used in the Class 800s or 73/9s.

Is the one in Wabtec actually "in use"? If so for what? AFAIK unless heavily modified they couldn't power anything in the UK?

captainbigun

Have to wind down the output to 1000V, which is doable but you lose overall power output in proportion, I.e. Lose a third.

ash39

Established Member
The one at Doncaster, if it's what I think it is, has been on view at the back of west yard for the past few months, behind where the thunderbird is usually parked.

fgwrich

Established Member
Is the one in Wabtec actually "in use"? If so for what? AFAIK unless heavily modified they couldn't power anything in the UK?

I thought it was in use as an ETH provider for coaches there, although this ended last year? Resulting in a Colas 47 being used instead. Not sure whether it may have gone bang then, or whether the Colas 47 being used for the Wimbledon to Doncaster moves was a convenient hire in?

Status
Not open for further replies.