• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ERTMS Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

ole man

Got a question regarding ERTMS.
This will get rid of Lineside signalling system's and have cab signalling, but i was wondering when taking line blockages and using signals for protection what will happen then?
At the moment all COSS use signals for protection and or place stop boards and detanators at the signals, how will this work in the future for protection.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TGV

From a cab signalling point of view, I imagine this will be similar to what we use on LGV. TVM430 (with ATP) is equivalent of ERTMS Level 2. We request protection from the controller (ECO/EMMIS) and then activate the required ERS lineside which sends stop signals to the relevant part of the line. Or more accurately, it prevents the TVM signal being sent thus displaying "trois rouge" in the cab display (STOP NOW).

At least it will be a similar affair I'd imagine. No point in reinventing the wheel when all this has existed in France for 25-30 years.

barrykas

Established Member
From a cab signalling point of view, I imagine this will be similar to what we use on LGV. TVM430 (with ATP) is equivalent of ERTMS Level 2. We request protection from the controller (ECO/EMMIS) and then activate the required ERS lineside which sends stop signals to the relevant part of the line. Or more accurately, it prevents the TVM signal being sent thus displaying "trois rouge" in the cab display (STOP NOW).

At least it will be a similar affair I'd imagine. No point in reinventing the wheel when all this has existed in France for 25-30 years.

There's a revised issue of Rule Book Module T3 specifically for ERTMS equipped lines...But briefly: Planned possessions are taken from non-passable block marker board(s) to non-passable block marker board(s) and the controlling signaller has to close all the routes leading to the possession, within the possession and through the possession.

That's then backed up by the use of Track Circuit Operating Devices (where authorised), disconnections of signalling controls (ditto), route barring (ditto) or by the PICOP (or their Agent) being physically present in the 'box.

I can't find an immediately obvious reference for emergency protection on ERTMS lines, however.

swtandgw

I think the arrangement at the moment would be similar to the German LZB system: lineside signals co-existing with in-cab signals, although this will be in the interim during the first roll-out until the legacy signals are decommissioned and all trains equipped with ERTMS.

EWS 58038

ERTMS "in cab" works as follows:

When you enter a ERTMS section the train will "call in" to the system and will gain a "Movement authority" (to be called MA). For this the signalling system ERTMS has to know the trains length and mass.
A MA is a data package containing the distance till the END of the MA and the maximum allowed speed. Near the end of the MA the "Brake curve" will apply indicating to the driver that he has to slow down the train. Normally, and if the driver is within "brake curve limits" it will show as a yellow speedometer slowly decreasing to the desired speed at the end of the MA. When the train is not braking hard enough the speedometer will turn orange accompanied by acoustic warnings, indicating that the driver has three seconds to react. If he fails to do so the speedometer will turn red and the emergency brake will fully apply bringing the train to a complete stop.

A Movement Authority can have any specified speed limit at the end. Like a curve with a limit of 60 or a complete stop. Also the MA can be extended when the train will receive a new MA overwriting the previous one. For example the proceeding train is no longer an obstacle and a higher speed is approved.

This is what happens if a train will NOT receive a data package, or a incomplete or faulty one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PuCN1SivXs

And during ERTMS testing: (In English)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqpYRiR6Ipc

In the Netherlands there are 4 main line routes with ERTMS:
- HSL Zuid (speeds up to 300 km/h)
- Betuweroute (Freight only)
- Amsterdam Bijlmer - Utrecht (mixed traffic, dual signalled ERTMS and classic light signals)
- Hanzelijn (Lelystad - Zwolle) (mixed traffic, dual signalled ERTMS and classic light signals)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.