• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ERTMS rollout on ECML and GWML

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lozzy0603

When they finally go ETCS on the fast lines out of Paddington (and I presume turn off the coloured light signals) does that automatically mean the 800/801 series will be able to run at 140mph?
Is there further line work, or will the 800/801 need an upgrade to run at 140mph?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
When they finally go ETCS on the fast lines out of Paddington (and I presume turn off the coloured light signals) does that automatically mean the 800/801 series will be able to run at 140mph?
Is there further line work, or will the 800/801 need an upgrade to run at 140mph?
NR-owned track is only signed off for up to 125mph in general, so there would have to be a re-evaluation of whether the track is capable of faster operation. But then there'd still be the thorny issue of pathing and timetabling - at 125mph there is already a differential with 100mph Heathrow Express services, and though with the 378s I'd have thought that becomes 110mph, it goes from being a 25mph differential to a 30mph differential.

In other words, the loss of paths (or timetable inefficiency) would be even worse then than now. There's no easy solution without constructing an extra two tracks until Heathrow Airport Junction, which, let's be honest, isn't happening this side of the century, if ever!

As far as I'm aware, there should be no mechanical issues with running the IETs at 140mph, but I wouldn't be surprised if software had to be modified it to allow it (as at the moment I believe all new stock has automatic speed limiting).

DerekC

Established Member
The Digital Railway Long Term Deployment Plan just published by NR (see "Digital Railway" thread) shows the following dates for ECML and GWML. (The map is hard to read because you can't zoom in on it so don't shoot me if I have got some of the intermediate points wrong):

ECML

CP6 (by 2024) - KX to Crews Hill and Hatfield
CP7 (by 2029) - Sandy to Peterborough; Grantham to Retford
CP8 (by 2034) - Peterborough to Grantham; York (North) to Northallerton; Ferryhill to Alnmouth
CP9 (by 2039) - Retford to York (North); Northallerton to Ferryhill; Alnmouth to Berwick
CP10 (by 2044) - NIL
CP11 (by 2048) - NIL
CP12 (by 2052) - Hatfield and Hertford North to Sandy

It's getting late so I will do GWML tomorrow.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
The only way you are getting 140mph on the GWML is if Heathrow Express stock gets replaced with something like a Class 395.....

Which might happen but I very much doubt it.

Jonny

Established Member
GWML will get ETCS (European Train Control System) between Paddington and Reading (including the Heathrow branch) by 2019 (I think). The contract has been let (to Alstom).
Fitment beyond Reading, as originally mooted, is anyone's guess.
This is an "overlay" and does not require the removal of existing signalling, but it will allow removal of GW ATP where it is implemented.

The ECML was due to get it south of Doncaster, accompanied by the removal of fixed signals.
I'm not sure any of this is committed, despite tests taking place on the Hertford Loop.
The Hitachi system being implemented in the Thameslink Core will probably have some impact on the wider ECML scheme.
Among other things, the costs of fitting large numbers of cabs, including freight locos and older stock, are very high.

The implementation instead of conventional signalling on a major line would be a massive step; so far it has been avoided as there is little to no commercial freight on the two ERTMS-ETCS lines converted thus far. Once lines with significant commercial freight come into play then it will be a different matter altogether.

DerekC

Established Member
And here's the ERTMS dates for GWML (see post #33):

CP6 (by 2024) - NIL
CP7 (by 2029) - Plymouth to Totnes
CP8 (by 2034) - Paddington to Slough and Heathrow; Totnes to Exeter
CP9 (by 2039) - Wootton Bassett to Exeter via Bristol; Pewsey to Cogload Junction
CP10 (by 2044) - Didcot area (Cholsey to Wantage Road); Didcot to Oxford and Honeybourne
CP11 (by 2049) - Reading area (Slough to Cholsey); Wantage Road to Wootton Bassett; Reading to Pewsey

I suspect they are a response by NR to exactly the question it has been asked by DfT - what would a minimum cost rollout look like? As such they are just another half-turn of the endless ERTMS rollout planning merry-go round which has been going on for the past twenty years, with zero progress in terms of main lines.

Last edited:

Belperpete

Established Member
When they finally go ETCS on the fast lines out of Paddington (and I presume turn off the coloured light signals)
I understand that ETCS on the lines out of Paddington is an overlay system, where the ETCS is added onto the existing signalling, not replacing it.

Belperpete

Established Member
On Sunday, there was a telecom failure at Machynlleth SCC that crippled the ETCS for the whole of the Cambrian network. Fortunately it was a Sunday, and "only" the Cambrian. What happens when a similar failure affects the Thameslink core, or in the future the ETCS out of Paddington or Kings Cross in the morning or evening peak?

The only way you are getting 140mph on the GWML is if Heathrow Express stock gets replaced with something like a Class 395.....

Why not cl.800s all round?

JN114

Established Member
On Sunday, there was a telecom failure at Machynlleth SCC that crippled the ETCS for the whole of the Cambrian network. Fortunately it was a Sunday, and "only" the Cambrian. What happens when a similar failure affects the Thameslink core, or in the future the ETCS out of Paddington or Kings Cross in the morning or evening peak?

Same as when you have a telecoms failure out of Paddington or Kings Cross now. Thankfully such events are quite rare.

DerekC

Established Member

Isn't the 12 miles of track between Paddington and Airport Junction a tail, not a dog? If 140mph Class 800s had to be limited to 110mph for that small section it will make only a minute or two's difference to the journey time to Bristol or wherever. I appreciate the capacity impact if you try to maintain the differential speed is significant, but the answer is - don't.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Isn't the 12 miles of track between Paddington and Airport Junction a tail, not a dog? If 140mph Class 800s had to be limited to 110mph for that small section it will make only a minute or two's difference to the journey time to Bristol or wherever. I appreciate the capacity impact if you try to maintain the differential speed is significant, but the answer is - don't.

I have previously suggested such things, but people tend to get annoyed when I suggest surrendering hard won speed improvements.

The cost of a new HEx fleet is quite minor compared to the IEPs, and having up to 18tph losing travel each and every day will add up in disbenefits quite quickly

DerekC

Established Member
I have previously suggested such things, but people tend to get annoyed when I suggest surrendering hard won speed improvements.

The cost of a new HEx fleet is quite minor compared to the IEPs, and having up to 18tph losing travel each and every day will add up in disbenefits quite quickly

If you were buying a new HEx fleet at the same time as considering the 140mph upgrade then it would be the differential cost of 140mph versus 110mph HEx trains versus the loss of a couple of minutes per main line train. What you wouldn't do is reduce the service or buy new HEx trains just to suit 140mph running on that short section of route.

MarkyT

Established Member

I suspect the time for the two classes to traverse that 12 mile stretch from a standing start to the airport divergence will be very close indeed. The 387 might be a bit more sprightly in the lower speed ranges so can get ahead. Just as the heavier 80x catches up, the 387 dives off the main to the airport leaving clear path ahead for the IET to continue accelerating into. This was definitely the case with the 332s and much slower accelerating HSTs. Higher top speeds on shorter hops seem to make little difference. Even with tilt, WCML pendolinos only gain about two minutes on 110mph desiros from Euston to Milton Keynes, a distance of about fifty miles, so on that basis the natural acceleration profiles may give a section time difference from Paddington to the junction of 30 seconds, if anything at all. Perhaps the IET just needs to drive in economy mode as far as the junction, where it can engage 'warp'.

Last edited:

hwl

Established Member

CP6 (by 2024) - NIL
CP9 (by 2039) - Wootton Bassett to Exeter via Bristol; Pewsey to Cogload Junction
CP10 (by 2044) - Didcot area (Cholsey to Wantage Road); Didcot to Oxford and Honeybourne
CP11 (by 2049) - Reading area (Slough to Cholsey); Wantage Road to Wootton Bassett; Reading to Pewsey

I suspect they are a response by NR to exactly the question it has been asked by DfT - what would a minimum cost rollout look like? As such they are just another half-turn of the endless ERTMS rollout planning merry-go round which has been going on for the past twenty years, with zero progress in terms of main lines.
Given ETCS has been installed in the Heathrow Tunnels is one part of NR talking to another? Or is this plan about full ERTMS not just ETCS installation?

kevin_roche

CP6 (by 2024) - NIL

That is all quite disappointing.

coppercapped

Established Member
I suspect the time for the two classes to traverse that 12 mile stretch from a standing start to the airport divergence will be very close indeed. The 387 might be a bit more sprightly in the lower speed ranges so can get ahead. Just as the heavier 80x catches up, the 387 dives off the main to the airport leaving clear path ahead for the IET to continue accelerating into. This was definitely the case with the 332s and much slower accelerating HSTs. Higher top speeds on shorter hops seem to make little difference. Even with tilt, WCML pendolinos only gain about two minutes on 110mph desiros from Euston to Milton Keynes, a distance of about fifty miles, so on that basis the natural acceleration profiles may give a section time difference from Paddington to the junction of 30 seconds, if anything at all. Perhaps the IET just needs to drive in economy mode as far as the junction, where it can engage 'warp'.
I would agree that the time difference between Paddington and Airport Junction would be, at the most, counted in seconds. The 125mph limit starts at and finishes at Acton West, not Paddington, and the distance from there to Airport Junction is all of seven miles. Allowing for acceleration the timing difference would be negligible.

DerekC

Established Member
Given ETCS has been installed in the Heathrow Tunnels is one part of NR talking to another? Or is this plan about full ERTMS not just ETCS installation?

I suggest you have a look for yourself - the link is in the Digital Railway thread. I won't repeat it here or I will have to copy all the guff from the introductory page again! It isn't at all clear what is being talked about in the plan. It looks to me as though what has been published is the executive summary and top level map of something a lot more detailed. DfT seems to have asked NR how to save money by installing ERTMS when the current equipment is life expired.

coppercapped

Established Member
That is all quite disappointing.
Is it?
The safety record of multiple aspect signalling with TPWS at speeds of up to 125mph is pretty good. How much of an improvement is anticipated?

It is not clear whether on a mixed traffic railway such as we have that ERTMS/ETCS will add any significant capacity - the limits are not set by plain line capacity but by station and junction layouts, dwell times, pathing requirements and so on.

Even the cost of installation and maintenance of conventional signalling has been controlled recently with things such as lightweight signal posts which can be practically man-handled into position and long life LED signal heads with built-in redundancy.

This is not to say that ETCS should not be used on newly constructed routes - but I can see that it will only make sense on most routes in Britain when the existing signalling falls due for renewal - and the signal engineers can pass over a lot of the cost of the renewal to the rolling stock people!

Dren Ahmeti

I understand that ETCS on the lines out of Paddington is an overlay system, where the ETCS is added onto the existing signalling, not replacing it.
ETCS Level 1, which just introduces bailises that operate like ATP in that setting.

Dren Ahmeti

Really? It was my understanding that there were no plans to use either L1 or L1 LS on the GB network. Overlay does not necessarily imply L1.
Unless I’ve forgotten my ETCS, it should be L1 to keep lineside signals, but L2+ would be interesting to see overlaid over conventional signalling (notwithstanding the PoSA signals).

RichardGore

Unless I’ve forgotten my ETCS, it should be L1 to keep lineside signals, but L2+ would be interesting to see overlaid over conventional signalling (notwithstanding the PoSA signals).

That is close but not quite correct, the distinguishing factor is that in L1 movement authorities are conveyed by balise (and potentially euroloop) whereas in L2 they are transmitted over a radio link, in practise always GSM-R. Lineside signals are essentially a requirement for L1 but L2 can be deployed with or without lineside signals—see Thameslink for the former and the Cambrian for the latter.

Belperpete

Established Member
That is close but not quite correct, the distinguishing factor is that in L1 movement authorities are conveyed by balise (and potentially euroloop) whereas in L2 they are transmitted over a radio link, in practise always GSM-R. Lineside signals are essentially a requirement for L1 but L2 can be deployed with or without lineside signals—see Thameslink for the former and the Cambrian for the latter.
My understanding is that the ETCS out of Paddington will indeed be an L2 system, with movement authorities transmitted over radio. The movement authorities will be from signal to signal, with the ETCS only authorising a train to proceed if the signal is showing a proceed aspect, so the ETCS will effectively act as an ATP system for the existing signalling.

It is a pity that CrossRail has CBTC rather than ETCS, as there will have to be a handover between the two systems as trains enter and exit the tunnel.

kevin_roche

My understanding is that the ETCS out of Paddington will indeed be an L2 system, with movement authorities transmitted over radio. The movement authorities will be from signal to signal, with the ETCS only authorising a train to proceed if the signal is showing a proceed aspect, so the ETCS will effectively act as an ATP system for the existing signalling.

That is correct.

EDIT: However I believe the plan is to fit ETCS Level 2 only in the Heathrow Tunnel now to replace the existing GW-ATP system.

It is a pity that CrossRail has CBTC rather than ETCS, as there will have to be a handover between the two systems as trains enter and exit the tunnel.

The Crossrail CBTC uses some of the same technology as ETCS. The balises are the same spec. The main difference is that position reporting and movement authority is transmitted by a system a bit like wi-fi.

In the central section there is a requirement to have moving block signals so that the trains can run closer together. Also it was thought that interference to GSM-R from local mobile phone signals and capacity constraints would stop ETCS Level 2 from working. When using CBTC a crossrail train reports its position every 0.4 secs. GSM-R can't handle that traffic.

ETCS level 3 was thought to be unlikely to be ready in time to allow Crossrail to use it. They have agreed to move to ETCS Level 3 when the specification is finalised and an upgrade is available. It is likely there will be an option to use wi-fi or LTS or 5G in the future ETCS Level 3. Possibly also in an update to ETCS Level 2

Last edited:

carriageline

Established Member
Are the 80xs fitted, or can be, with ATO? As I personally think that will be the biggest improvement with ETCS L2.

Belperpete

Established Member
Are the 80xs fitted, or can be, with ATO? As I personally think that will be the biggest improvement with ETCS L2.
Not sure what 80xs are, but trains running through the CrossRail core will work under ATO, as this is necessary to achieve the headways. At the Western end, they will switch out of ATO before they cross onto Network Rail territory - I can't recall whether it is intended that the driver will takeover manual control on the move, or while the train is stationary at Paddington "low level". I understand that at the Eastern end the trains will continue under ATO into Stratford station, where the driver will take manual control. I suspect that this will be the first place on NR that has ATO?

Belperpete

Established Member
ETCS level 3 was thought to be unlikely to be ready in time to allow Crossrail to use it. They have agreed to move to ETCS Level 3 when the specification is finalised and an upgrade is available. It is likely there will be an option to use wi-fi or LTS or 5G in the future ETCS Level 3. Possibly also in an update to ETCS Level 2
By that time, CrossRail will (hopefully!) have been up and running for quite some time. Swapping to a new signalling system will require a lot of work, expense and disruption, not least because it will require extensive retesting. Unless ETCS L3 offers substantial advantages, I think it will be hard to justify either the cost or disruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.