• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Esk Valley Bridge Renewals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marton

Network Rail is completing essential improvements to four bridges on the Esk Valley Railway that links Middlesbrough to Whitby between 2 June to 10 June 2012.

According to the Northern website The main bridge elements will be transported to site by rail and Network Rail will use large cranes to remove the existing bridge decks and install the new steelwork.

Does anyone know the details of the movements for the "bridge elements"?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Network Rail is completing essential improvements to four bridges on the Esk Valley Railway that links Middlesbrough to Whitby between 2 June to 10 June 2012.

According to the Northern website The main bridge elements will be transported to site by rail and Network Rail will use large cranes to remove the existing bridge decks and install the new steelwork.

Does anyone know the details of the movements for the "bridge elements"?

I have a feeling they are already at Tees Yard - I saw some girders etc on flat wagons on the western end of the yard on Saturday.

sidmouth

With the NYMR taking advantage of the closure with a 2hr frequency clock face departure from Whitby to Grosmont between 10am and 6pm. A sign of things to come?

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
With the NYMR taking advantage of the closure with a 2hr frequency clock face departure from Whitby to Grosmont between 10am and 6pm. A sign of things to come?

I Presume this means the bridges being replaced are West of Grosmont towards Middlesborough and not towards Whitby.?

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Yes that is correct.
Bridges named in this article off the beeb

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-18252107

That's interesting, they mention the 4 bridges work will cost around 2 milllion quid, which does not seem that expensive really, it's good to see they are spending some money on that line which has seen closure threats, it's a shame there are not more services along that route. (Although I guess if NR did have more trains, it would cause problems for the NYMR, whose Whitby services always seem busy, I did see on another thread that there may be some work done too at Whitby Station, either now or at a later date, maybe bringing both platforms into use instead of just the one at the moment, a loop there would also be very useful to the NYMR to speed up turn arounds there.)

Established Member
I wonder if this will also allow slightly higher line-speeds - I hope so as at the minute it is quick for me to get to Scarborough than Whitby by train.

LadyDeltic

Thanks for the information on the Esk Valley Railway improvements, all. I'm unable to contribute much to that discussion, unfortunately, but it's always good to keep abreast of the latest engineering works.

Great stuff there, wensley. :)

wensley

Established Member
Cheers guys :D
It was worth freezing for...I'll be the first to say it isn't my best shot ever but I hope you agree it's not bad for 2200hrs!!! Worth getting on record. That beats the 60015 and that high speed plastic thing lol

Status
Not open for further replies.