• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ETCS on Preserved Steam locos that run on NR Metals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcq

Hopefully the mods will think this is an appropriate place to ask this question.

In the 'Resignalling on the East Coast/Great Northern route including Moorgate branch' thread under Infrastructure, @LNW-GW Joint said
"
Roast Veg said:
That implies that the charter operators don't have to foot the bill themselves, and that nr are paying for it. I'd want my loco mainline registered asap!
As I understand it, NR is funded by DfT for the "first in class" fitment of ETCS on each class of traction in current use.
The roll-out of whole fleets after that is between the TOCs and NR/Siemens, but the hard part (R&D and initial fitment and testing) will already have been done.
How this maps onto charter stock I don't know, but again the hard bit should have been done for common loco classes.
NR will also have a policy about steam traction over some lines after ETCS conversion - I doubt they are going on HS1/2 for instance, or to Heathrow, or Crossrail, even if ETCS-fitted.
"
I wonder if those who have relevant preserved locos that are currently allowed to run on NR metals, could comment on any progress to have ETCs fitted to their loco is progressing please?

I love a good thrash on NR metals by vintage locos and would hate to see the experience cancelled by lack of ETCS

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Roast Veg

Established Member
I would be mightily surprised if the first ECTS fitted loco is not Tornado.

Mcq

That's encouraging and doubtless P2 when it comes along as these are new builds, but I'm really thinking of earlier locos which currently are main line certified - Clan Line for instance - any news about them?

Last edited:

zwk500

Veteran Member
I'd expect a Black 5 to be fitted first - there's a number of them in mainline preservation and they're much more gauge friendly, cheaper to operate and aren't in the same demand Tornado is, so having one out of action as they bed the equipment down isn't a problem.

D365

Veteran Member
If it's not the very first, it definitely will be one of the.

Bearing in mind that the contract for electrical and mechanical design has only just been awarded (I'm talking within the last few weeks), I can guarantee that won't be any news on charter & heritage fitment until at least the autumn.

Status
Not open for further replies.