• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Etickets on Manchester Metrolink

Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
OK this question is irrelevant to me now because I'm not a key worker, but it's been on my mind for a while so I am going to ask it anyway.

Day Returns from stations within the GMPTE travelcard zone (if it's still called that) to a Manchester city centre station is available as either a paper ticket, or an E ticket with a QR code. There is no doubt that the E ticket has the same validity as the paper ticket on trains, but the paper versions of these tickets are also valid on Manchester Metrolink services within Metrolink Zone 1 on the day of ticket validity.

My question is, is the electronic version still valid on Metrolink in the same way? Last time I saw a Metrolink revenue protection officer they didn't have a QR code scanner so how would they check?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
OK this question is irrelevant to me now because I'm not a key worker, but it's been on my mind for a while so I am going to ask it anyway.

Day Returns from stations within the GMPTE travelcard zone (if it's still called that) to a Manchester city centre station is available as either a paper ticket, or an E ticket with a QR code. There is no doubt that the E ticket has the same validity as the paper ticket on trains, but the paper versions of these tickets are also valid on Manchester Metrolink services within Metrolink Zone 1 on the day of ticket validity.

My question is, is the electronic version still valid on Metrolink in the same way? Last time I saw a Metrolink revenue protection officer they didn't have a QR code scanner so how would they check?
I've certainly seen E tickets with the destination "MCZ" (in the same sense that they have LON as the destination for London Terminals) so it certainly appears that they are valid.

This is a problem all over the railway really. They can't be differently valid according to medium, but it doesn't stop some staff saying that they are - mostly a failure to be given the proper training. There is enough info for an inspector to read and come to a conclusion about validity, if they trust that the ticket is genuine. If e-tickets are not acceptable on the tram, then tickets to MCZ or any of the zones should never be available in that form.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes agreed; as Roger Ford said 15 years ago "What matters is the message, not the medium"!

The product is valid; it's not the customers concern if staff are not familiar with the medium.

plugwash

Established Member
Given the huge variety of ticket stocks that valid tickets for Manchester public transport (busses, trains and trams) can be issued on (particularly the "system 1" day tickets) it must be a nightmare trying to spot fake tickets.

I guess they mostly rely on harsh penalties if-caught as a way to discourage ticket faking.

Last edited:

Alex365Dash

I guess they mostly rely on harsh penalties if-caught as a way to discourage ticket faking.

The penalty fare for Metrolink (excluding contactless cards/devices) is a flat £100 regardless of the journey you make, or £50 if paid within 14 days. Compared to the National Rail penalty fare scheme, where it can be anything from £20 to twice the single fare*, it seems fairly steep!

*Which I believe the highest Anytime Day Single within Greater Manchester is £7.70, so you'd just pay twenty quid anyway!

Mathew S

Established Member
At present, this is a non-issue, since, "Free cross-city Metrolink travel in Zone 1 covering all city centre stops is now available for all rail users, irrespective of whether their journey originates at a Greater Manchester station. This will be in place until normal services are resumed."*

Wrong though I believe it to be, TfGM have always taken the attitude that if Metrolink inspectors can't check the ticket, it's not valid. So an e-ticket for such a journey would, likely, be a problem. However...
Day Returns from stations within the GMPTE travelcard zone (if it's still called that) to a Manchester city centre station is available as either a paper ticket, or an E ticket with a QR code.
I'm interested in where you're finding these available as e-tickets? Certainly Northern won't sell e-tickets for Anytime or Off-Peak singles or returns from Greater Manchester stations into the city centre (or, at least, wouldn't before Covid - I haven't travelled since but a quick check of the app reveals that this still seems to be the case).

* from https://tfgm.com/coronavirus/rail

py_megapixel

Established Member
At present, this is a non-issue, since, "Free cross-city Metrolink travel in Zone 1 covering all city centre stops is now available for all rail users, irrespective of whether their journey originates at a Greater Manchester station. This will be in place until normal services are resumed."*

Wrong though I believe it to be, TfGM have always taken the attitude that if Metrolink inspectors can't check the ticket, it's not valid. So an e-ticket for such a journey would, likely, be a problem. However...

I'm interested in where you're finding these available as e-tickets? Certainly Northern won't sell e-tickets for Anytime or Off-Peak singles or returns from Greater Manchester stations into the city centre (or, at least, wouldn't before Covid - I haven't travelled since but a quick check of the app reveals that this still seems to be the case).

* from https://tfgm.com/coronavirus/rail
I was using www.tpexpress.co.uk
I selected "Heaton Chapel" as the origin (since that is a commuter station in the Greater Manchester area) and "Manchester Piccadilly, Victoria, Oxford Road or Deansgate" as the destination (which I assume is the Centralzone)
It gives the option to get an E-ticket or collect from the station

Mathew S

Established Member
I selected "Heaton Chapel" as the origin (since that is a commuter station in the Greater Manchester area) and "Manchester Piccadilly, Victoria, Oxford Road or Deansgate" as the destination (which I assume is the Centralzone)
It gives the option to get an E-ticket or collect from the station
Interesting, thanks. I'll see if I can get an official answer out of TfGM/Metrolink, because I can see that getting people into bother with this one.

tarq

That’s the simplified name for MANCHESTER STNS (the station group). It has to be a ticket to destination MANCHESTER CTRZ to be valid on Metrolink.

Mathew S

Established Member
That’s the simplified name for MANCHESTER STNS (the station group). It has to be a ticket to destination MANCHESTER CTRZ to be valid on Metrolink.
It's not quite that simple, I'm afraid (what is!).

If you pick Manchester Picc, Vic, Ox Rd, or Deansgate on most booking sites, it will automatically sell you a ticket to Manchester Central Zone (as was, now Zone 1), as long as the ticket origin is within Greater Manchester. Less confusing for passengers, especially since there's no extra cost.

Atm, though, as mentioned above, all rail tickets include Zone 1 Metrolink and will do for the foreseeable future, until we are post-COVID.

Mathew S

Established Member
I emailed TfGM yesterday to ask about this issue. They have replied to say:

"I would like to assure you that all Metrolink Customer Service Representative’s (CSR) will accept valid e-tickets. Although they do not have ticket machines to carry out the checks, they will just read the ticket as a flash pass, just like a paper ticket."

Status
Not open for further replies.