EU Parliament votes for significant improvements in passengers' rights

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by ForTheLoveOf, 6 Dec 2018 at 11:45.

1. Randomer

Randomer Member

I really don't see forcing ticket sales to be allowed on board going down very well in a lot of Europe. In some countries conductors don't sell tickets at all due to rulings from the countries health and safety bodies about lone working with large amounts of cash or purely revenue enforcement reasons. They only check and issue (very hefty) penalty fares if not shown or valid.

2. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

Card only transactions?

3. nidave

nidave Member

This is why it has to still be agreed by the EU Parliament and debated by the members. Thats how EU law works. There is a proposal - its debated, amended if no agreement thrown out.

4. ijmad

ijmad Member

Please do explain how you'd manage to maintain a functional government with a working majority if you have a tenth or so of the parliament changing every six months.

In the US, it is the states that generally decide to coordinate their elections with national elections each November for this very reason. It makes practical sense. If anything we should align our fixed term parliaments with EU election dates, not the other way around!

5. JP

JP Member

The EU parliament doesn’t have legislative initiative so maintining a majority or coalition is less important than, say, in Westminster. Its members also don’t form the executive so also reducing the importance of maintining a status quo for longer periods.

6. LeeLivery

LeeLivery Member

Could be tweaked a bit, as I'm sure it will.

The EU is undemocratic because people can't be bothered to vote?

Seriously? People voted to leave on the expectation that our railways will dramatically improve? And I thought someone telling me leaving the EU would immediately result in 7%+ growth in GDP was ridiculous.

You're suggesting 28 different election dates for one body. That just would not work.

7. TUC

TUC Established Member

Without getting into the Brexit debate, why should it matter if conditions like this vary between countries? Yes, have agreed rules for international services but why should variation matter for any of the rest?

8. Jonfun

Jonfun Established Member

None of this will ever be implemented in the UK, Brexit or no Brexit.

The industry will simply turn round and point out to the DfT that this wasn't per the franchise agreement and thus it will affect the financial viability of the operation, putting at risk the ability to deliver the service. The government won't want to take the franchise off the holder and run the service directly, so the requirements will be quietly ignored.

This is a prime example of EU meddling in things which aren't any of their business.

9. ForTheLoveOf

ForTheLoveOf Established Member

I rather suspect that, if the Regulation ever comes to roost, by that time most franchise agreements will either have been renegotiated or have terminated naturally!

10. Bedpan

Bedpan Member

Another excuse for Thameslink..."This train has been cancelled due to insufficient bicycles being on board" <:D