• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EU Referendum: The result and aftermath...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Howardh

Established Member
May - on one hand she say's it's Chequres or remain, and now she says it's Chequers or no-deal. R-i-g-h-t.

Meanwhile, I have now baulked at booking my first break of next year, I always go away for a 5-day Mediterranean break in April or May (avoiding Easter) before the hoards arrive; but not 2019. Absolutely no idea what's facing us - whether it's long queues for Visas we haven't got to absolutely no difference from today and all points inbetween. Can't take the chance, so that money's on hold until things are clearer and take the missing break later in the year (if at all).
Wonder if, up and down the country, people are feeling the same?
Meanwhile looking up what would have been my second break - a few days in Gibraltar for the hockey, which will be early July; but so far can't find any scheduled flights bar British Airways from Heathrow (er, no thanks!); normally easyjet fly from Manchester. As it's not really a holiday destination as such I can leave the booking until the situation's clearer.

bramling

Veteran Member
May - on one hand she say's it's Chequres or remain, and now she says it's Chequers or no-deal. R-i-g-h-t.

A lot of the problem is that May is simply not very good. I really don't think we should associate this with whether the long-term benefits of Brexit are achievable or not.

Meanwhile, I have now baulked at booking my first break of next year, I always go away for a 5-day Mediterranean break in April or May (avoiding Easter) before the hoards arrive; but not 2019. Absolutely no idea what's facing us - whether it's long queues for Visas we haven't got to absolutely no difference from today and all points inbetween. Can't take the chance, so that money's on hold until things are clearer and take the missing break later in the year (if at all).
Meanwhile looking up what would have been my second break - a few days in Gibraltar for the hockey, which will be early July; but so far can't find any scheduled flights bar British Airways from Heathrow (er, no thanks!); normally easyjet fly from Manchester. As it's not really a holiday destination as such I can leave the booking until the situation's clearer.

No such problems here next year. My usual four GB holidays are already booked. ;)

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
A lot of the problem is that May is simply not very good. I really don't think we should associate this with whether the long-term benefits of Brexit are achievable or not.

She is, for a want of better words, ****ed because everyone knows we can't negotiate a good Brexit. We know it. The EU knows it.

Anyone else would be in the same position and clearly it wasn't a job anyone wanted to secure a future in politics - hence so many people involved in Brexit running away and likely only coming back when it hits the fan and they can be seen as trying to make the most of a bad deal.

Groningen

Established Member
The source for the 2 maps is Michael Von Freising from Muenchen, Germany. There is also a kneipe in that area.

mmh

Established Member

It's only been a few weeks since you last said this and I pointed out that Easyjet always open bookings for the following summer season in October. You wouldn't have been able to book Manchester to Gibraltar at this time last year either.

Howardh

Established Member
It's only been a few weeks since you last said this and I pointed out that Easyjet always open bookings for the following summer season in October. You wouldn't have been able to book Manchester to Gibraltar at this time last year either.

Just checked Easyjet's site and it says they are taking bookings up until February/March; they have now got some dates for later, released on the 20th and 27th. Sept.

Maybe they have lost a few pax who have gone to other cariers who allowed earlier booking? A fair few simply gop to sites like Skyscanner and if a companies flights don't appear then those PAX won't know that there will be an alternative later on to the ones shown.
Anyhow it's good news that I can finally have a confirmed time. Now let's just hope the UK and EU sign it all off, assuming Brexit ever goes ahead.

Last edited:

Howardh

Established Member

No such problems here next year. My usual four GB holidays are already booked. ;)
One would think you are scared of going abroad!! Must admit, one of mum's carers went to Marakech last week and got severe food poisoning; but before you gloat a couple of years ago my dad got severe food poisioning from Fleetwood. At least one's nearer home....

jon0844

Veteran Member
One would think you are scared of going abroad!! Must admit, one of mum's carers went to Marakech last week and got severe food poisoning; but before you gloat a couple of years ago my dad got severe food poisioning from Fleetwood. At least one's nearer home....

I got ripped off at Fleet services once. Never going back there!

EM2

Established Member
https://elpais.com/politica/2018/09/16/actualidad/1537126159_632155.html
(translated via Google Chrome)
It's quite a long read, but here's the opening paragraph.

Spain claims a chapter on Gibraltar in the Brexit agreement
Spain claims more prominence for the Gibraltar dispute in the European negotiation of Brexit . The Government is pressing for the UK withdrawal agreement to include a specific chapter on the British colony. Foreign wants to take advantage of this exceptional moment, the departure of London from the EU, to achieve fiscal, environmental and anti-contraband arrangements, among other issues, to which the British authorities have always resisted. The chief negotiator of the EU for Brexit, Michel Barnier, increasingly sensitive to this strategy, meets Monday in Madrid with President Pedro Sánchez. To propitiate the success of this maneuver, Spain renounces to raise now the thorny chapter of sovereignty over the Rock.

Howardh

Established Member
https://elpais.com/politica/2018/09/16/actualidad/1537126159_632155.html
(translated via Google Chrome)
It's quite a long read, but here's the opening paragraph.

Spain claims a chapter on Gibraltar in the Brexit agreement
While everyone's finally concentrating on Ireland, this little problem's been simmering; the irish Border is not, strictly, our only land border with the EU, one could claim this one is too; and certainly cross-border traffic in persons and goods is very likely to be affected - let alone the Spanish undercurrent that they want more say in GIB (at least) and full control (at worst).

I see troubled times ahead, although we can prevent that immediately....

AM9

Veteran Member
... Can't take the chance, so that money's on hold until things are clearer and take the missing break later in the year (if at all).
Wonder if, up and down the country, people are feeling the same? ...
If visiting EU countries is your choice, (after all those places won't change for the worse), it might be a good idea to invest in some Euros. They may stay roughly at the same value, but much more likely, UKP will take a further hit and even if you then want to holiday in an area that hasn't risen relative to the pound* you can still sell them.
* Probably just the UK.

mmh

Established Member
Just checked Easyjet's site and it says they are taking bookings up until February/March; they have now got some dates for later, released on the 20th and 27th. Sept.

Maybe they have lost a few pax who have gone to other cariers who allowed earlier booking? A fair few simply gop to sites like Skyscanner and if a companies flights don't appear then those PAX won't know that there will be an alternative later on to the ones shown.

We've had this discussion before too. It must work for Easyjet. Perhaps the amount of advance bookings made further in advance than that is small - I'd be surprised if many people book their summer holiday before the autumn, especially for short-haul destinations. The amount of holiday advertising in the winter would suggest that's the peak period for doing it.

Anyhow it's good news that I can finally have a confirmed time. Now let's just hope the UK and EU sign it all off, assuming Brexit ever goes ahead.

I would really recommend not worrying about Brexit quite so much and booking your April hols if you want to go then rather than waiting and having to pay a fortune a week or two in advance!

greyman42

Established Member
No I don't think they are. Go to passport control, show your passport and go on your way.

Howardh

Established Member
We've had this discussion before too. It must work for Easyjet. Perhaps the amount of advance bookings made further in advance than that is small - I'd be surprised if many people book their summer holiday before the autumn, especially for short-haul destinations. The amount of holiday advertising in the winter would suggest that's the peak period for doing it.

I would really recommend not worrying about Brexit quite so much and booking your April hols if you want to go then rather than waiting and having to pay a fortune a week or two in advance!
Easter's late and with the bank holiday in May I bet a huge chunk of the country will be off work/school for a long break. That leaves my only real window mid-May onwards if I want to miss all that lot (or go early April, but as that's after Bidet not a chance - don't wnat to book a short break and then find the plane's times have altered or even cancelled - which until there's a deal that's quite likely).

I'll stop worrying about Brexit when it's confirmed we keep the EHIC card, roaming rights, travel consumer rights, can travel visa and waiver-free and our car documents are valid including insurance. Care to confirm that's the case? No? Then I'll worry.

mmh

Established Member
Easter's late and with the bank holiday in May I bet a huge chunk of the country will be off work/school for a long break. That leaves my only real window mid-May onwards if I want to miss all that lot (or go early April, but as that's after Bidet not a chance - don't wnat to book a short break and then find the plane's times have altered or even cancelled - which until there's a deal that's quite likely).

What's the point of worrying about reschedules or cancellations? Take that to an extreme and nobody would ever go anywhere by plane, ship or train.

I'll stop worrying about Brexit when it's confirmed we keep the EHIC card,

Take out personal travel insurance. It's inadvisable to travel without it and rely on a EHIC, but if you're willing to you can wait until the day before, and if EHIC still works, save the 20 quid or so.

roaming rights,

Who goes on holiday to use their phone more than a bare minimum? If it is important though, have a phone with one of the providers who've said they've no plans to change anything, or with Three, who've said they won't be.

travel consumer rights,

Which rights? ATOL and the CAA will still exist

can travel visa and waiver-free

We've done this numerous times already too, and you still don't seem to understand what tourist visas and visa waiver schemes are. Massively unlikely to be any material change, at worst the most belligerent of outcomes would be paying in the region of a tenner.

and our car documents are valid including insurance.

If you're booking flights that seems a bit irrelevant, as you won't be taking your car.

Care to confirm that's the case? No? Then I'll worry.

Seriously, don't. What's the point? Your predictions may (cough) or may not come true. Why use theoretical scenarios which haven't happened to deny yourself your holiday? If you're right you might never be able to leave the country again, so it's worth taking a gamble that you might just be able to have one last holiday during the "transition period", surely?

Howardh

Established Member
What's the point of worrying about reschedules or cancellations? Take that to an extreme and nobody would ever go anywhere by plane, ship or train.
This is THE most ridiculous answer ever. If someone like myself is tied to 3 days (72 hrs from start to finish) and are restricted to the number of breaks they can take - then to lose more than a couple of hours severely dents your valuable spare time. Those holiday hours are to be spent on a beach, in the sea, in the bar (!) and not hanging around airports wondering if you will get there/back; and no amount of compensation covers the lost time - it won't come back.

Take out personal travel insurance. It's inadvisable to travel without it and rely on a EHIC, but if you're willing to you can wait until the day before, and if EHIC still works, save the 20 quid or so.

I do, but travel insurance doesn't cover everything - may not even cover a fall if someone's got alcohol in them - the EHIC does. Also for many who have pre-existing conditions health insurance is impossible or extremely expensive (ie after a heart by-pass or someone with mild dementia) so they would be covered for accidents and emergencies. Is it the Big Idea for Brexit to prevent the elderly or ill from travelling?

Who goes on holiday to use their phone more than a bare minimum? If it is important though, have a phone with one of the providers who've said they've no plans to change anything, or with Three, who've said they won't be.
Having no pland doesn't mean they won't change - I give you one T. May! However, having a phone handy is useful if you have to connect in an emergency and not have to worry about the cost. When my mum fell seriously ill last year, I was so glad I could keep in touch with the carers and hospital, book an emergency flight home and no have to worry about a large data bill on return. Must have spent hours on the phone and video during that awful evening.

The rights the EU have given delayed or cancelled passengers. To be fair - our government has indicated they will strengthen thise after Brexit, so that's a plus if they do. However, what they say and do....

We've done this numerous times already too, and you still don't seem to understand what tourist visas and visa waiver schemes are. Massively unlikely to be any material change, at worst the most belligerent of outcomes would be paying in the region of a tenner.
Many innocent people will fall foul of the Schengen Visa - have you seen what it consists of? Name your first night's stay for example. Huh...day trips?? How much money have you got? And most worryingly, you have to indicate medical conditions. Again, hopefully it won't come to that..but what are the odds?

If you're booking flights that seems a bit irrelevant, as you won't be taking your car.
Er, car hire anyone?? Will we need an international licence on top? And, of course, many have flight holidays + drive and ferry ones too at seperate times.

Seriously, don't. What's the point? Your predictions may (cough) or may not come true. Why use theoretical scenarios which haven't happened to deny yourself your holiday? If you're right you might never be able to leave the country again, so it's worth taking a gamble that you might just be able to have one last holiday during the "transition period", surely?
If I had a severe medical condition - maybe a stroke (or even family history of conditions which are hereditary and haven't yet struck???) and couldn't afford the huge insurance bill (EG USA today) then there's every chance I wouldn't be "allowed" to leave the country again. That what you want, guv?? Nice one bud, hope you never fall ill and want a break. Cheers.

Last edited:

Howardh

Established Member
If visiting EU countries is your choice, (after all those places won't change for the worse), it might be a good idea to invest in some Euros. They may stay roughly at the same value, but much more likely, UKP will take a further hit and even if you then want to holiday in an area that hasn't risen relative to the pound* you can still sell them.
* Probably just the UK.
As it happens - and nothing to do with Brexit (!!) I have quite a stockpile of Euros due to one holiday being abandoned and having a few hundred in notes left over, and subsequently this year using my cards to pay for dear stuff abroad (hotel rooms and ferry tickets mainly!) so even though they are being whittled down I'm still covered for a bit!!

They were bought this time last year, I suspect around 1.14-ish to the £; Tesco's quote 1.07-ish today.

I expect it would now be possible to have a holiday without using one cent of paper/coin cash - anyone?? **Note - not in Ibiza if one used the buses, still cash and ticket, the good old days!

radamfi

Established Member

You can't 100% rely on travel insurance. What happens when the insurer wriggles out of a claim? There are many cases where people have been financially ruined because of getting ill on holiday. If you have previous medical history or get old, insurance can be prohibitively expensive, meaning that Europe is the only place you can travel to (for now).

VauxhallandI

Established Member
This is THE most ridiculous answer ever. If someone like myself is tied to 3 days (72 hrs from start to finish) and are restricted to the number of breaks they can take - then to lose more than a couple of hours severely dents your valuable spare time. Those holiday hours are to be spent on a beach, in the sea, in the bar (!) and not hanging around airports wondering if you will get there/back; and no amount of compensation covers the lost time - it won't come back.

I do, but travel insurance doesn't cover everything - may not even cover a fall if someone's got alcohol in them - the EHIC does. Also for many who have pre-existing conditions health insurance is impossible or extremely expensive (ie after a heart by-pass or someone with mild dementia) so they would be covered for accidents and emergencies. Is it the Big Idea for Brexit to prevent the elderly or ill from travelling?

Having no pland doesn't mean they won't change - I give you one T. May! However, having a phone handy is useful if you have to connect in an emergency and not have to worry about the cost. When my mum fell seriously ill last year, I was so glad I could keep in touch with the carers and hospital, book an emergency flight home and no have to worry about a large data bill on return. Must have spent hours on the phone and video during that awful evening.

The rights the EU have given delayed or cancelled passengers. To be fair - our government has indicated they will strengthen thise after Brexit, so that's a plus if they do. However, what they say and do....

Many innocent people will fall foul of the Schengen Visa - have you seen what it consists of? Name your first night's stay for example. Huh...day trips?? How much money have you got? And most worryingly, you have to indicate medical conditions. Again, hopefully it won't come to that..but what are the odds?

Er, car hire anyone?? Will we need an international licence on top? And, of course, many have flight holidays + drive and ferry ones too at seperate times.

If I had a severe medical condition - maybe a stroke (or even family history of conditions which are hereditary and haven't yet struck???) and couldn't afford the huge insurance bill (EG USA today) then there's every chance I wouldn't be "allowed" to leave the country again. That what you want, guv?? Nice one bud, hope you never fall ill and want a break. Cheers.

Thank you for responding, I face planted when I saw these statements last night.

I had an awful near death experience the other year and having my EHIC card meant there were no worries at the time and no worries at a later date trying to claim monies back from a slippery insurance company.

Howardh

Established Member
You can't 100% rely on travel insurance. What happens when the insurer wriggles out of a claim? There are many cases where people have been financially ruined because of getting ill on holiday. If you have previous medical history or get old, insurance can be prohibitively expensive, meaning that Europe is the only place you can travel to (for now).
Indeed. Before my mother was hit with dementia, she was a regular traveller to France, with my dad. When she hit 80, with her pre-conditions her travel insurance quotes increased dramatically, well into three figures and one qoute was for over a grand. I know - I did them! However the EHIC card (previously the E111) allowed her to travel with the minimum of worry, and we managed to insure her for repatriation after death (or something along those lines, think it was with Saga but can't remember) + theft etc. Of course if she had wanted to travel to the USA there would have been no chance whatsoever, the EHIC still gave her (and dad!) the opportunity to travel within the EU.
Shortly afterwards dementia struck which then became a whole new issue.

AM9

Veteran Member
As it happens - and nothing to do with Brexit (!!) I have quite a stockpile of Euros due to one holiday being abandoned and having a few hundred in notes left over, and subsequently this year using my cards to pay for dear stuff abroad (hotel rooms and ferry tickets mainly!) so even though they are being whittled down I'm still covered for a bit!!

They were bought this time last year, I suspect around 1.14-ish to the £; Tesco's quote 1.07-ish today.

I expect it would now be possible to have a holiday without using one cent of paper/coin cash - anyone?? **Note - not in Ibiza if one used the buses, still cash and ticket, the good old days!
OK that's fine. I bought quite a few Euros a week before the referendum at about 1.30 per £1. They fell below 1.20 the day after the referendum and have not above 1.22 since, - so that warning was reality, not project fear! I've still got most of them and don't have a problem spending cash on holiday anyway.

Howardh

Established Member
OK that's fine. I bought quite a few Euros a week before the referendum at about 1.30 per £1. They fell below 1.20 the day after the referendum and have not above 1.22 since, - so that warning was reality, not project fear! I've still got most of them and don't have a problem spending cash on holiday anyway.
No need to brag <D blimey - makes my eyes water! Think all my leftovers will be used up next month, I'll have to find something to spend them on. Wine sounds a pretty good excuse ;)

bramling

Veteran Member

It’s more that I have a lot of things I want to see and do in this country, which is enough to keep me going for many years to come. The only negative feature of this country is the weather - even this year hasn’t been that good outside the south-east.

Howardh

Established Member
It’s more that I have a lot of things I want to see and do in this country, which is enough to keep me going for many years to come. The only negative feature of this country is the weather - even this year hasn’t been that good outside the south-east.
Ah, totally disagree with you on that! Up here June/July were just fabulous, I registered less than a half-inch of rain over that period and for the first time ever the whole lawn turned brown. In fact it was so dry the lawn shrank to expose bush roots which are normally sub-surface! Thankfully temperatures were never stifling as they can be darn sawf.

But as you say, this is the exception that proves the rule.

Meanwhile, when my caring days are over and I get to use my sparkly new railcard I hope to cover some parts of the UK so far unseen. Bucket list = Unst on the longest day (so not much use for the Northern Lights, then :oops: ) Norfolk's broads and coast, the Scillies + all the Channel Islands (not much railcard use there, then!) and some posh spa hotels around Sandbanks, near the nude beach 8-) in high summer.

And follow the World's Most Useless Cricket Team around the country a bit. Great fun (except the cricket bit) but it isn't Formentera, Haarlem or Kleine Scheidegg, but hey. Hopefully retirement gives plenty of time for all.

Now, just need the readies....

bramling

Veteran Member
Ah, totally disagree with you on that! Up here June/July were just fabulous, I registered less than a half-inch of rain over that period and for the first time ever the whole lawn turned brown. In fact it was so dry the lawn shrank to expose bush roots which are normally sub-surface! Thankfully temperatures were never stifling as they can be darn sawf.

But as you say, this is the exception that proves the rule.

Meanwhile, when my caring days are over and I get to use my sparkly new railcard I hope to cover some parts of the UK so far unseen. Bucket list = Unst on the longest day (so not much use for the Northern Lights, then :oops: ) Norfolk's broads and coast, the Scillies + all the Channel Islands (not much railcard use there, then!) and some posh spa hotels around Sandbanks, near the nude beach 8-) in high summer.

And follow the World's Most Useless Cricket Team around the country a bit. Great fun (except the cricket bit) but it isn't Formentera, Haarlem or Kleine Scheidegg, but hey. Hopefully retirement gives plenty of time for all.

Now, just need the readies....

Depends on how one defines fabulous! May, June and the first part of July were certainly dry and sunny, but then it changed to the familiar westerlies pattern leaving many parts of the country very cloudy and unsettled ever since. Lost count of the number of times I find myself in the midst of a grey/damp day somewhere in Wales or the north-west only to look at the CCTV of my house in the south-east to see it basking in sunshine. Or, to put it another way, go away to a week of rain, and come home to find my garden hasn’t had a drop of rain...

Despite all that I’d still rather go on holiday here, as there really are so many fantastic places in Britain, and when the fine days do come it really doesn’t get much better. Not being quite so conveniently able to go abroad really isn’t the end of the world at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.