• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EU Referendum: The result and aftermath...

Status
Not open for further replies.

furnessvale

Established Member
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-46481643

A judgment from the ECJ that recognises the sovereignty of member States. Who'd have thought it, eh?

The line in the BBC statement says a lot:
"But their case was opposed by the UK government and the EU itself."
If the 'UK Government' is the current administration, rather than some civil servant's view, then it looks like the now oficially declared position would undermine those leavers in the government's position, regarding us being past the point of being able to completely unwind all of this nonsense since the referendum, at no long-term economic cost.

NSEFAN

Established Member
I think he was drawing an analogy between paying to settle our relationship with the EU (full price fare, analogous to WTO/less favourable arrangements with the EU) or remaining a member and getting the benefits of this (paying for a railcard to get the discount).

furnessvale

Established Member
I think he was drawing an analogy between paying to settle our relationship with the EU (full price fare, analogous to WTO/less favourable arrangements with the EU) or remaining a member and getting the benefits of this (paying for a railcard to get the discount).
Perhaps analogies to travelling by rail in the UK at the moment, especially by Northern, are best left out if people wish to be taken seriously! :)

deltic

Established Member
So the PM postpones Parliament's meaningful vote and £ collapses again

bnm

Established Member
8am. ECJ confirms the UK can exercise sovereignty.

12pm. Theresa May decides to deny Parliament it's sovereign right to a meaningful vote.

NSEFAN

Established Member

12pm. Theresa May decides to deny Parliament it's sovereign right to a meaningful vote.
I just loved the reason for this, because it "would be rejected by a significant margin". Captain Obvious to the rescue!

Ken H

On Moderation
I just loved the reason for this, because it "would be rejected by a significant margin". Captain Obvious to the rescue!
and now donald tusk has said
I have decided to call #EUCO on #Brexit (Art. 50) on Thursday. We will not renegotiate the deal, including the backstop, but we are ready to discuss how to facilitate UK ratification. As time is running out, we will also discuss our preparedness for a no-deal scenario.
https://twitter.com/eucopresident/status/1072190546863669248

so parliament wont pass Mays WA, and the EU wont change it.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

ECJ: "HINT! HINT! TAKE RUDDY LIFELINE WILL YOU?!"

EM2

Established Member
Last week, the Government were found to be in contempt of Parliament, so thinking logically, how can Parliament have confidence in a Government which has been contemptible (i.e. disobedient or disrespectful) to it?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
So, would you say that people should never buy a Railcard?

If only I had a bus to paint on...

"We each give £30 a year for a Railcard. Let's spend it on a nice pair of Jeans instead!"

furnessvale

Established Member
Well you pay a fee to the EU so you get (to share in) its benefits.

You pay a fee for a Railcard so you get its benefits.

Surely even a Brexiteer can understand the link?
That's where the analogy fails.

The UK pays a fee to the EU to enable the EU to sell more goods to us than we do to them.

Rather like buying a railcard which gives you the right to buy tickets at twice the standard price.

Surely even a remainer can understand that.

matacaster

On Moderation
In view of the supposed lack of warehouse space to stockpile medicines and or food etc, would it be wise to set up a register?

I nominate
1. Vast, disused old railway warehouse which has at least had its roof repaired and all the windows and frames repaired. Should be easy to convert to warehousing and its effectively rail served as (short) carriage siding next to it.
2. Enormous empty disused B&Q at Stairfoot in Barnsley, was due to become a Sainsbury's, but that plan seems to have died a death - no rail access sadly.

Basher

That's where the analogy fails.

The UK pays a fee to the EU to enable the EU to sell more goods to us than we do to them.

Rather like buying a railcard which gives you the right to buy tickets at twice the standard price.

Surely even a remainer can understand that.
Well Said

Ken H

On Moderation
In view of the supposed lack of warehouse space to stockpile medicines and or food etc, would it be wise to set up a register?

I nominate
1. Vast, disused old railway warehouse which has at least had its roof repaired and all the windows and frames repaired. Should be easy to convert to warehousing and its effectively rail served as (short) carriage siding next to it.
2. Enormous empty disused B&Q at Stairfoot in Barnsley, was due to become a Sainsbury's, but that plan seems to have died a death - no rail access sadly.
or buy from outside the EU

Basher

Just today UKIP, has announced that from the beginning of December they have received a total of 1900 applications for membership. I think that the Tory party is going to have big problems.

Basher

Anyone seen this below.
The UN Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration

Many of you will be aware of this despite the fact that the so-called ‘mainstream media’ have reported nothing about it. I have made speeches about it in the European Parliament and done my best to publicise it.

Essentially what the Compact will do is to make illegal immigration legal. It will make migration a ‘human right’ and simplify immigration processes. It will also make it much more difficult to deport illegal migrants, and it will seek to criminalise anyone who speaks out about uncontrolled immigration under ‘hate speech, xenophobia and racism’ legislation.

Her Majesty’s Government signed up to the UN Compact in Marrakesh on Sunday 9th December.

About 150 countries signed up to it, most of these are poor, developing countries with increasing populations which they cannot support and which they are happy to see migrate.

A number of countries have refused to sign up: the USA, Italy, Austria, Bulgaria, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Poland and Switzerland.

The UN Compact is not a law as such but what is known as customary international law – e.g. signatories will be expected to apply it.

Despite some of its member states not signing up, the European Union signed up in its own right, as it has the right to do under the Lisbon Treaty.

The Member States will not be protected by not-signing because if the EU adopts the Compact’s provisions in the form of Directives and Regulations, and if they are approved by the European Parliament, then the Member States will have to transpose them into national law.

Britain has already committed to adopting the Compact, and if we remain in the EU then we will have no choice anyway when the Directives or Regulations come down the line.

Only UKIP is defending Britain in these vital areas where we are being sold down the river by our Government and political class.

Yours sincerely,

Gerard Batten MEP
UKIP Leader

Ken H

On Moderation
Anyone seen this below.
The UN Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration

Many of you will be aware of this despite the fact that the so-called ‘mainstream media’ have reported nothing about it. I have made speeches about it in the European Parliament and done my best to publicise it.

Essentially what the Compact will do is to make illegal immigration legal. It will make migration a ‘human right’ and simplify immigration processes. It will also make it much more difficult to deport illegal migrants, and it will seek to criminalise anyone who speaks out about uncontrolled immigration under ‘hate speech, xenophobia and racism’ legislation.

Her Majesty’s Government signed up to the UN Compact in Marrakesh on Sunday 9th December.

About 150 countries signed up to it, most of these are poor, developing countries with increasing populations which they cannot support and which they are happy to see migrate.

A number of countries have refused to sign up: the USA, Italy, Austria, Bulgaria, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Poland and Switzerland.

The UN Compact is not a law as such but what is known as customary international law – e.g. signatories will be expected to apply it.

Despite some of its member states not signing up, the European Union signed up in its own right, as it has the right to do under the Lisbon Treaty.

The Member States will not be protected by not-signing because if the EU adopts the Compact’s provisions in the form of Directives and Regulations, and if they are approved by the European Parliament, then the Member States will have to transpose them into national law.

Britain has already committed to adopting the Compact, and if we remain in the EU then we will have no choice anyway when the Directives or Regulations come down the line.

Only UKIP is defending Britain in these vital areas where we are being sold down the river by our Government and political class.

Yours sincerely,

Gerard Batten MEP
UKIP Leader

124,216 people have
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/232698?reveal_response=yes#response-threshold

Status
Not open for further replies.