• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EU Referendum: The result and aftermath...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyreneenguy

Long may it continue! The longer they keep messing Brexit up the better, keeps them all occupied rather than messing up the NHS, education, policing!

It saddens me when I read than £1.5 billions have been wasted on preparations for a no-deal Brexit.

I'm hoping and praying ( not bad for an atheist) that the E.U elections will be held. I will vote with a huge amount of personal satisfaction.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pyreneenguy

October 31st is the new Bday, conveniently just long enough to organise a referendum on any deal May and her no-mates conjour up and remain. Would have been longer but Macron wanted less so we get a half way point.

I'm hugely disappointed in Emmanuel Macron. All his hype got him elected, but he has failed to deliver, which isn't new as all recently elected Presidents have failed to live up to their promises.

I do, however, approve of his stance in only giving the U.K six months to sort itself out. Time enough for negotiating an agreement across the House and putting it to the people in a Confirmatory Vote.

I cringe when I think the likes of Jacob Rees-Mogg could have a more important role in Government, his attitude towards the E.U is nothing short of shameful. They are not the enemy but have been our partners for 45 years.

d9009alycidon

My take on Jacob Rees-Mogg (who I agree with Bletchleyite re being despicable) is that he is one of the perennial back benchers who revel in stirring things up and making things difficult for the Government but would shy away from a more important role as they may have to be seen as accountable and have to actually form a policy that was workable. I have seen his like in many clubs and associations, sitting sniping from the body of the hall but never wanting to be nominated to the organizing committee

takno

Established Member
I do, however, approve of his stance in only giving the U.K six months to sort itself out. Time enough for negotiating an agreement across the House and putting it to the people in a Confirmatory Vote.
Probably needs 9 months to actually get that done. If they gave them that much upfront though they'd probably just waste it. It's a reasonable assumption that if we commit to a referendum but need another 3 months to actually hold it that much would be forthcoming

Groningen

Established Member
So the daughter of Jacob Rees-Mogg will be a choice of the brexit party of Nigel Farage according to The Independent.

Groningen

Established Member
OK! Can it still be the same family? To that person that is disappointed in Macron. I can understand that, but apparently he was alone against 26 others of the EU. Our PM and foreign secretary do not want a No Deal. That would really be a black hole.

AM9

Veteran Member
My take on Jacob Rees-Mogg (who I agree with Bletchleyite re being despicable) is that he is one of the perennial back benchers who revel in stirring things up and making things difficult for the Government but would shy away from a more important role as they may have to be seen as accountable and have to actually form a policy that was workable. I have seen his like in many clubs and associations, sitting sniping from the body of the hall but never wanting to be nominated to the organizing committee
Rees-Mogg is just a cynical speculator who uses his power over a gang of similar selfish MPs to create the turmoil and instability that any speculator needs to profit from others' losses. It's in part a benefit of being in the EU that wild swings in our markets have largely been avoided over the past 40 years. The hard-line leavers are so keen to drive the UK economy to the edge of international bankruptcy in order that they can prosper. If they succeed, I don't want to be around when the penny drops in the minds of all the honest voters who will realise that they have been used in this deception. The threats that the more loose-tongued leavers have hurled at almost everybody else are nothing compared with the reaction when the whole plot becomes common knowledge.

Last edited:

greyman42

Established Member
To that person that is disappointed in Macron. I can understand that, but apparently he was alone against 26 others of the EU. Our PM and foreign secretary do not want a No Deal. That would really be a black hole.
If he was 'alone' so what. He is entitled to vote as he sees fit.

Groningen

Established Member
If he (Jacob) was a really great Brexiteer he would move all his business to the UK, but he still has something in Ireland and maybe other places outside the UK.

EM2

Established Member
So, Nigel's new party, then.
Formed too late to take part in the local elections, and if a deal is passed, no raison d'etre to take part in the European elections either.
Another one-policy party, on a policy that we all know is going to happen some time (I can't see A50 being revoked now).
A party that's going to give the elite what-for, with squillionaire Richard Tice, career politician 20 years an MEP, Nigel Farage, and Annunziata Rees-Mogg.
A party whose leader accuses MPs of being "classic career politicians" who go into it in their 20s and love the EU as "a wonderful safety net for people who fail in national politics". But who also started UKIP age 29, failed to be elected as an MP 7 times, and (as already mentioned) been an MEP for 20yrs.

Last edited:

Pyreneenguy

I beg to differ. We've never been so close to a Confirmatory Vote or simply Revoking Article 50. There is now plenty of time to organize a People's Vote and another extension should be a simple matter if things go this way. In the bright of day, what's the point of Brexit for the sake of Brexit ? No tangible advantages being outside the E.U and leaving with May's deal.

Groningen

Established Member
Why does Nigel Farage does not use his own UKIP? His party will for the Brexiteers; the Remainers should have erected a party for the own believes. If so and those 2 parties attract a lot of votes than Labour and Tories could reach record low numbers. But Theresa May wants to avoid a vote in May 2019.

nidave

Why does Nigel Farage does not use his own UKIP? His party will for the Brexiteers; the Remainers should have erected a party for the own believes. If so and those 2 parties attract a lot of votes than Labour and Tories could reach record low numbers. But Theresa May wants to avoid a vote in May 2019.
I think he lost control of Ukip and you know our Nigel. Never turns down an opportunity to talk about Nigel.

Darandio

Established Member
That's his story and he's sticking to it :lol:

She cannot be his daughter, her name is fairly tame when you consider what he has named his children.

Fast forward to 2070, when Sixtus Dominic Boniface Christopher Rees-Mogg becomes Prime Minister.

mmh

Established Member
Remainers: winning but still obsessed by backgrounds, class and names.

"You only sneer when you're winning"

Sadly they don't, it's been constant for three years.

The kindler, gentler politics in action.

EM2

Established Member
Just pointing out the hypocrisy of the so-called anti-elites.
Jess Phillips and Mhairi Black are elite because they support Remain, but Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage aren't, because they support Leave? Yeah, right.

mmh

Established Member
Just pointing out the hypocrisy of the so-called anti-elites.
Jess Phillips and Mhairi Black are elite because they support Remain, but Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage aren't, because they support Leave? Yeah, right.

There are MPs from privileged and unprivileged backgrounds on both sides of the house. The EU is not a posh or common, or left or right wing party political issue.

BlueFox

There are MPs from privileged and unprivileged backgrounds on both sides of the house. The EU is not a posh or common, or left or right wing party political issue.

Nigel Farage (who is one of the elite) would like you to think that he's an ordinary bloke, and the "elite" want to stay in the EU. That's how he tries to appeal to people. Trump did the same sort of thing. You would think people would be intelligent enough to realise they're being conned.

takno

Established Member

"You only sneer when you're winning"

Sadly they don't, it's been constant for three years.

The kindler, gentler politics in action.
Kindler gentler politics is a Corbyn slogan, and he's not exactly a remainer, if you're going to persist in being tribal about these things. I'm sure we can all agree that violence or incitements to violence against people are not acceptable, but using their names and backgrounds to point out that these anti-elite heroes are as elite as they come is pretty much fair game.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Kindler gentler politics is a Corbyn slogan, and he's not exactly a remainer, if you're going to persist in being tribal about these things. I'm sure we can all agree that violence or incitements to violence against people are not acceptable, but using their names and backgrounds to point out that these anti-elite heroes are as elite as they come is pretty much fair game.

I never really understood why so many people were conned into believing that Farage was some kind of "people's" hero. Were the images of a former commodities trader (hardly a job of the people) standing in a pub with a pint enough to convince millions that he had the country's best interests at heart? Sadly it seems so, along with some nice rhetoric about how evil the EU is and how all we had to do to "make Britain great again" was stick two fingers up at them, Farage has become the instigator-in-chief of the biggest political crisis for decades. And when the proverbial hit the fan, Farage did a runner faster than you can say "Donald Trump", returning only when he runs out of other things to keep him in the public eye.

He truly is the definition of the snake oil salesman, yet some still can't see through his facade. I seriously worry about the country when people like him can so easily fool so many.

Last edited:

EM2

Established Member
It's nothing to do with privilege. I am a white, heterosexual, cis, notionally Christian male in a Western democracy, which makes me one of the most privileged people on the planet, along with Nigel and Boris.
But when multi-millionaires that hold their birthday parties at the Ritz say people like me, the son of an AA mechanic and a clerk, who didn't even pass his A-levels are the elite, and are part of the problem, I tend to get a little annoyed.

Last edited:

Geezertronic

Established Member
I beg to differ. We've never been so close to a Confirmatory Vote or simply Revoking Article 50. There is now plenty of time to organize a 2ND People's Vote and another extension should be a simple matter if things go this way. In the bright of day, what's the point of Brexit for the sake of Brexit ? No tangible advantages being outside the E.U and leaving with May's deal.

My bold, corrected for you

.......To that person that is disappointed in Macron. I can understand that, but apparently he was alone against 26 others of the EU.......

Macron wasn’t alone at that summit.
Austria, Spain and one other country were of a similar view.
At least there was no report of heated arguments threatening to boil over, as there was at the last summit at the end of March.

If he (Jacob) was a really great Brexiteer he would move all his business to the UK, but he still has something in Ireland and maybe other places outside the UK.

The FT states that RM’s shareholding in Somerset Capital is just above 15%.
Not exactly his company, despite earning a nice living from its dividends.
The company invests in emerging markets, which requires them to operate from a number of international bases.
They are principally based in London and Singapore, but have funds operating in various other locations, including Ireland.
That’s pretty typical of international financial companies.

Last edited:
......But when multi-millionaires that hold their birthday parties at the Ritz say people like me, the son of an AA mechanic and a clerk, who didn't even pass his A-levels are the elite, and are part of the problem, I tend to get a little annoyed.

I think they are referring to those in positions of power and influence, e.g. MP’s, others in high office, or formerly in high office (e.g. Blair) and certain business leaders, when they say “elite”. Not the ordinary voters.

Status
Not open for further replies.