• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EU Referendum: The result and aftermath...

Status
Not open for further replies.

radamfi

Established Member
Really? Why are UK students paying massive fees to study here then?

Same reasons why most people live and work near where they grew up, for example to stay reasonably close to friends and family.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Er, very often students pick a University a long way from home. Southerners go up North and vice versa. Maybe you're right about settling down with a job but unless they want to live at home to reduce accomodation costs students won't choose the local university.

If I was leaving school to study I'd go to a free EU university rather than pay many thousands of £ each term in tuition fees in the UK and leave with massive debt.

radamfi

Established Member
Er, very often students pick a University a long way from home. Southerners go up North and vice versa

Still in the same country though. Some travel to the other end of the country but most students go no more than 2-3 hours train ride away. Some UK universities have good reputations, which is why foreign students are willing to pay huge sums to study there as well.

Howardh

Established Member
Conversely, freedom of movement also has an impact on the lives of people who find house prices in their local area have become inflated due to demand versus supply, with demand having been fuelled by rising population.

Life is about choices and trade-offs. Not being able to afford a house or having to move away from family will likely be higher on the priority list than a mythical ability to work in another country which most people will never take up.
It ain't mythical buddy, it's real.
https://ukandeu.ac.uk/fact-figures/how-many-british-citizens-live-in-the-eu/
According to data from the United Nations, in 2015 1.2 million people born in the UK lived in other EU countries. Spain is host to the largest group, 308.000.
So by your reckoning, those 1.2m have left so have freed up housing so as to deflate local house prices.
Now, suppose a lot came back, and a huge chunk of the next generation couldn't move away....??
And if Britain is a success due to Brexit, it may well attract more and more Russians, Chinese, Japanese etc all wanting to live in your neck and push up house prices even futher. And they'll be let in as "control" doesn't apply if you have spare cash by the million.

Howardh

Established Member
Eh? Switzerland gained free movement in 2002 when they signed a bilateral deal with the EU and have not lost free movement since. There was a scare after the 2014 referendum when 50.3% voted to put quotas on immigration, but when the impracticality of implementing that became apparent, the Swiss government effectively cancelled the proposals.
You mean a government cancelled a referendum result - and there weren't riots in the streets??

anme

Established Member
There's no barrier to studying abroad - doesn't really matter where you're from or where you want to study (as long as you can afford it)

And you so rightly point out, money is a barrier to studying abroad.

anme

Established Member
What % of Brits move abroad to work? Must be extremely low so not high on the ordinary person's priority list.

Are you not in favour of people "getting on their bike" to find work and better themselves.

Freedom is important, right?

And you so rightly point out, money is a barrier to studying abroad.

Apparently studying in the EU is free - I was unaware of this. So there's no less of a barrier to university in the EU for Brits than there is in their own country with overpriced tuition.

radamfi

Established Member
Apparently studying in the EU is free - I was unaware of this. So there's no less of a barrier to university in the EU for Brits than there is in their own country with overpriced tuition.

It is not free everywhere in the EU but the fees are usually inexpensive compared to the UK. Aside from fees, there are other living costs to consider, for example compulsory medical insurance. If you study in the UK, you have to pay high fees, but you can get a subsidised loan which you might not have to pay back in full if it gets written off in the future. So if you study in the UK, you will at least have enough money to support yourself. If you study in the EU, you aren't entitled to the same student loans so unless you get some kind of grant/loan in the host country, you have to pay for your living costs yourself.

bramling

Veteran Member
Nobody forces you to live where house prices are high. You are free to move too.

I don’t need or want to move, I have the house I want, fully paid off. Ironically I may well have on paper benefited as its value has climbed heavily in the last decade. However I have friends and family on good incomes who simply can’t afford property which would have been readily available to them a generation ago, that bugs me far more than the prospect of a few retirees not being able to retire to Spain.

takno

Established Member
I don’t need or want to move, I have the house I want, fully paid off. Ironically I may well have on paper benefited as its value has climbed heavily in the last decade. However I have friends and family on good incomes who simply can’t afford property which would have been readily available to them a generation ago, that bugs me far more than the prospect of a few retirees not being able to retire to Spain.
The housing shortage such as it is is largely down to population movements within the UK, homeowners choosing not to downsize when their children move out, and an ongoing failure to build new houses at the required rate.

In addition there is a problem with Labour, and more significantly the Tories, propping up housing prices at well beyond their natural level through lax monetary policy and sketchy help-to-buy schemes

Immigration is barely even a rounding error.

bramling

Veteran Member
The housing shortage such as it is is largely down to population movements within the UK, homeowners choosing not to downsize when their children move out, and an ongoing failure to build new houses at the required rate.

In addition there is a problem with Labour, and more significantly the Tories, propping up housing prices at well beyond their natural level through lax monetary policy and sketchy help-to-buy schemes

Several million people is simply not a rounding error, especially as much of this is heavily oriented towards the London area.

cactustwirly

Established Member

No immigration isn't the issue, it's the vast amount of people moving out of London that is the issue

bramling

Veteran Member
No immigration isn't the issue, it's the vast amount of people moving out of London that is the issue

Why is that? My Street has progressively filled with ex Londoners over the last few years, and by their own admission the reasoning is “so we can get more space for the money” and “London has turned into an overcrowded s***hole and we wanted out”.

takno

Established Member
Several million people is simply not a rounding error, especially as much of this is heavily oriented towards the London area.
The immigration isn't that heavily oriented towards the London area, and in fact non-European immigration is probably a larger factor there. You've also got to factor in a higher level of emigration from London and the southeast. In all cases it's not that significant compared to migration to London from other parts of the UK. London is fast becoming a completely unsustainable magnet for all the people and money in the country, but at no point is European migration an important factor in that

cactustwirly

Established Member
Why is that? My Street has progressively filled with ex Londoners over the last few years, and by their own admission the reasoning is “so we can get more space for the money” and “London has turned into an overcrowded s***hole and we wanted out”.

Because all the well paying jobs in the UK are in London and the South East, so you get immigration from the rest of the UK into London

DanDaDriver

Buy to let Landlords have their part in this.

Groningen

Established Member
The comment of 20.51 yesterday is cynism and sarcasm put together. It seems that Theresa May will leave office on June 10th, 2019. Her suggestion of a second referendum did not go well with the Tories.

I think Labour should have backed her deal with the 2nd ref parliament vote added onto it. They would then look like they're honouring their manifesto promise but the 2nd ref would go ahead and Brexit stopped (fewer members of the public would vote for May's deal than voted Yes in 2016).

As it stands now the divisions over Brexit will be amplified as the next PM could be full Brexit supporter.

General election is required but it will be difficult for Labour to get one without May in power.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
General election is required but it will be difficult for Labour to get one without May in power.
It's possible one will happen if the next leader tries to push the Tories towards no deal or otherwise rightwards and their more moderate MPs join Change UK or just vote down their own government. However with the Brexit party riding high in the polls and Change UK likely to be wiped out, the result could actually be a Parliament with a majority for no deal, especially if the election is all about Brexit. In the view of anyone that doesn't have an axe to grind, that would be an absolute disaster.

At the moment the only way out I can see is for the backbenchers to take control again and try to force a referendum. Or revoke if no other option exists, but as I posted previously that would be very dangerous.

Groningen

Established Member
Studying in Europe is free!? Who comes up with this stupid statement. At least not in the Netherlands. You have to pay for every thing even for your public transport ticket. You lent money and you have to pay it back with interest. The government is currently to raise the % even more. Your debt also counts for the buying of a house. Causing more problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.