• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Euro 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

Established Member
So it's getting quite close to the start of Euro 2012 and I think the event justifies its own thread considering it was never the original intention of the football thread to go into detailed discussions about specific matches.

Group A
Poland
Greece
Russia
Czech Republic

Group B
Netherlands
Denmark
Germany
Portugal

Group C
Spain
Italy
Republic of Ireland
Croatia

Group D
Ukraine
Sweden
France
England

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18265377

England will be without Frank Lampard this tournament due to a thigh injury. He is to be replaced by Jordan Henderson.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tigerroar

On Moderation
I'm starting to feel really underwhelmed by the whole thing and wonder how injured some of these players really are. Do they have the hunger to play for the national team anymore?

SS4

Established Member
I still maintain it's a blessing that Lampard won't be fit, he's been terrible for England recently. Give the kids a run out instead of chopping and changing friendlies and build a team for the future

sonic2009

Established Member
'Fat Frank' ate too many pies ;).

Id agree that England need to ditch the old guard, and start giving some of the kids a run out.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Metrailway

Lampard being out is a blessing in disguise as Roy won't be able to make the same mistake every England manager in recent history has committed which is to play the two similar minded players, Lampard and Gerrard, together.

tigerroar

On Moderation
I still maintain it's a blessing that Lampard won't be fit, he's been terrible for England recently. Give the kids a run out instead of chopping and changing friendlies and build a team for the future

Watching him in either the Barcelona game or the Final I thought he was superb under pressure. I not sure what it is that he does that makes people seem to dislike him so much. Club rivalry?

SS4

Established Member
Watching him in either the Barcelona game or the Final I thought he was superb under pressure. I not sure what it is that he does that makes people seem to dislike him so much. Club rivalry?

I was referring specifically to England players, virtually anyone can look good in the right team.
Lampard represents the old guard who we need to get rid of in the interests of team cohesion. Although speaking of Chelsea it's remarkable how quickly their season turned around once someone the old guard liked was put in charge.
The sad fact with the national team is that in some cases it's secondary to club football and players have too much power to the point where they're always in the team and, at Chelsea, dictating it - look at the furore around Rio Ferdinand not getting in, I remember one paper (the metro iirc) calling it a snub as though the manager had a vendetta with the player. Nobody is bigger than the team

jon0844

Veteran Member
That's England through and through. A load of good players (and some who are only good because of the people that support them) and they all want to be the man of the match and compete with their fellow players, not work with them.

Remember when we had all the nonsense with the WAGs following them around, and players were clearly just trying to show off how big they were - and not really caring about the football.

Maybe England simply reflects our society in general!

Zoe

Established Member
John Terry has been cleared to play at Euro 2012 after concerns about a hamstring injury but Gary Cahill is to be replaced by Martin Kelly due to a double jaw fracture.

Ferret

Established Member
John Terry has been cleared to play at Euro 2012 after concerns about a hamstring injury but Gary Cahill is to be replaced by Martin Kelly due to a double jaw fracture.

Any more injuries and Beckham will be getting a call up. FFS! I watched the Belgium game yesterday evening and was distinctly underwhelmed. I may need waking up when it's all over.....

gordonthemoron

Established Member
while I was in Krakow & Warsaw last week, work was still ongoing to tart the city centres up, so it's not just Britain who leaves things to the last minute

Butts

Veteran Member
Perm one from Germany, Netherlands or Spain for the winner in my view.:p
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ah well the wait is almost over and no doubt this thread will go nuclear - particularly after England matches (good or bad)

First match Poland v Greece 4.15 tommorrow :cry:

Saturday looks like a cracker.....

Netherlands v Denmark

Germany v Portugal

Time will tell :lol:

Johnuk123

Established Member
Have we ever been in a football competition that has less interest than this one.

Ivo

Established Member
Have we ever been in a football competition that has less interest than this one.

Have we ever been in a football competition where the media have not decided to bestow totally unreasonable expectations on the team that eminate from the vacuous minds of sub-editors...<(

I take it Le Tournoi (which we won :lol:) doesn't count?

Honestly, the lack of pressure is a good thing. We should be able to get out of the group, but even if we don't everyone knows we're in a transitional period and looking towards 2014 rather than now. Anything better than losing to Spain by a margin of about 3-1 (or in extra time against Italy/Croatia) would be considered over-performing, so we travel with no pressure. Who knows - maybe that will help?

But would things be different if Rooney was available for selection from the start...?

SS4

Established Member
We all know that, but do the media accept that? Had he been available from the start, would we still be arriving without the usual pressure?

Ah I misinterpreted (me and getting up before 11 don't get on). If Rooney was playing the media would probably expect him to win the entire tournament single-handedly (and should he fail then it'll be Hodgson's fault)

ole man

Did i hear right that the BBC 1 studio is in Salford? Cant they even afford to send the presenters and panalists over there?

SS4

Established Member
Did i hear right that the BBC 1 studio is in Salford? Cant they even afford to send the presenters and panalists over there?

Ah but had they done so you'd get the waste of licence fee argument because it could be done in Salford. Since they don't know what they're talking about half the time I subscribe to the argument in my previous sentence.

ole man

Totally agree with you, already talking rubbish, Ireland can get out of that group ha ha ha

GB

Established Member
Honestly, the lack of pressure is a good thing. We should be able to get out of the group, but even if we don't everyone knows we're in a transitional period and looking towards 2014 rather than now.

If that is how the squad really see things then we might as well pull out now. We're either in it 100% or not at all.

ole man

You can have all the transitional period's you want, England will never win anything as long as im alive and im only 35.
A team full of ego's and arrogant wasters, i laugh everytime i hear people say maybe England can win something.

SS4

Established Member
That was never a red card (unlike BBC1 I am not showing a biopic of Scott Parker)

Half time in the Poland vs Greece match but if you'd just turned on you'd be forgiven for thinking that England were playing. This is what I despise about international matches especially - half time is meant to be used to reflect on the first half and try and guess the second half in the current match <(<(<(<(<(

Robinson

Shocking refereeing so far <(<(<(<(<(

I genuinely thought he would give a free kick for that challenge 2 minutes into the 2nd half having seen that sending off :roll:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
And 10-man Greece have just equalised :D

Status
Not open for further replies.