• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Euro Nazis

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Snap

Established Member
There probably has been no such entity as a communist system that would be considered as adhering to most of the basic principles of the system.

Perhaps the closest has been Cuba :idea:

You're probably right. In theory, communist states should be just as peaceful as any normal democratic ones. The people just all look the same, wear the same, do the same, earn the same etc.

The killing of people (for whatever reason, in large or small groups) by communist regimes seems to be an extra strand added to the communist framework depending on the country, the individuals running it and their specific grievances against those people!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Badger

The fact people are so surprised to find they're actually liberal is what's wrong with politics. People don't want to be associated with certain labels even when it's what they agree with. This is politics, not name calling, it doesn't matter if you're x but would rather call yourself y, if you're x vote for x!

Lefty Liberal here according to that quiz.

LE Greys

Established Member
The fact people are so surprised to find they're actually liberal is what's wrong with politics. People don't want to be associated with certain labels even when it's what they agree with. This is politics, not name calling, it doesn't matter if you're x but would rather call yourself y, if you're x vote for x!

Lefty Liberal here according to that quiz.

Well, I've voted Tory in every election so far, not because I agree with them entirely, but because they are nearest to my opinions on a lot of things, although I disagree with them on the economy and nationalisation. Maybe if there were still old-fashioned Whigs in British politics, I might support them.

SS4

Established Member
To be fair that link was American based and we're typically more liberal than them (I think someone mentioned this earlier in the thread) so it's not surprising to see that many liberals and I suspect someone who'd describe themselves as centrist is probably liberal according to US (and the quiz) standards. Couldn't find one for the UK though :(

Trog

Established Member
I think it rather depends on the questions asked, with such a small set of questions, you can get a skewed answer because they have missed the subjects where you are somewhere to the right of Ghengis Khan. But hit on those where you have a more liberal outlook.

Or say you are a Liberal because you want group X to handle pensions. But miss the point that you think that, not because you favour group X, but because you think the alternative offered say group Z should be lined up against a wall and shot, with blunt bullets.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Whether you're serious or not, that's probably true. I appeared to be liberal, although I call myself a Red Tory - that's seriously mixed up! :? If they'd asked whether state-owned buildings should display the national flag, or whether unelected trade bodies should dictate to elected governments...

Anyway, the Far Right really has no chance of breaking through to form a government, but it can have effects on moderate-right parties trying to court right-wing voters. Look at both here and France, where the BNP and the FN have had some support, but certain other parties have also started talking tough on immigration to court their votes.

I was being half serious, I don't think the quiz is extensive enough to build a true pictur eof a person's set of beliefs. But then everything is presented in easily digested, bite size chunks since th espread of the internet!

I too am a bit of a mixture. I support a welfare state, the right to strike, nationalise dcontrol of key industries and also things like conscription and the death penalty (in certain circumstances. I don't really think I fit into any convenient political label!

There probably has been no such entity as a communist system that would be considered as adhering to most of the basic principles of the system.

Perhaps the closest has been Cuba :idea:

I agree with that!

To be fair that link was American based and we're typically more liberal than them (I think someone mentioned this earlier in the thread) so it's not surprising to see that many liberals and I suspect someone who'd describe themselves as centrist is probably liberal according to US (and the quiz) standards. Couldn't find one for the UK though :(

Yes, that is what crossed me mind when I started the quiz. It is definitely written with the US in mind, another reason why I find it flawed!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I'm sure I've mentioned this before, communism does not work due to human nature. What happens when there is a clash between the common good and that of those at the top? It is a fantastic concept on book, but it can never be implemented in full.

And I'm a centrist, apparently, right in the middle of both scales. Maybe that explains why I'm a moderator. ;)

Butts

Veteran Member
I'm sure I've mentioned this before, communism does not work due to human nature. What happens when there is a clash between the common good and that of those at the top? It is a fantastic concept on book, but it can never be implemented in full.

And I'm a centrist, apparently, right in the middle of both scales. Maybe that explains why I'm a moderator. ;)

At the risk of an infraction I thought all moderators were trained at Prinz Albrecht Strasse in Berlin :oops: (wartime Gestapo HQ :roll:)

Hydro

Established Member
It's those Commie Nazis we should be worried about.

Status
Not open for further replies.