• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Euro Standard Return

Status
Not open for further replies.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
The last couple of times I've been to Europe via Eurostar (both in the last 12 months) and used the ticket office at Royston I've been sold a Euro Standard Return. This seemed to be cheaper than the Anytime Return (despite the fact that I travelled at peak time last time, on 29th December). I had a 16-25 railcard at the time (alas no more)

I'd just like to know the purpose of this ticket?

- Is it cheaper than Anytime when used in peak time?
- Does it qualify for railcard discounts?
- What particular restrictions does it have compared to Off Peak Return or Anytime Return? Do you have to prove you're using E*? We didn't!

I can't actually remember the fare I paid but hopefully someone can remind me! :oops:

Cheers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

First class

Established Member
These fares are protected by the CIV not the usual conditions of carriage- this covers European journeys and are theoretically only available and valid on production of a Eurostar/ferry ticket.

London INTL(CIV) [5470/LNE] should be the destination.

They have:

EURO 1ST SINGLE
EURO STD SINGLE
EURO HIGH SVR SINGLE
EURO 1ST RETURN
EURO STD RETURN
EURO HIGH SVR RETURN

These tickets have no restrictions, other than documentation must be carried to support the fact you are travelling to Europe.

You also get free travel on South Eastern trains between Ashford and London. You also get to use LU to get to your STP.

ROYSTON - LONDON INTL as a euro std return is £34, when a normal single in each direction is £17 as an Anytime single, (so total cost £34 ). There is no real benefit in purchasing this ticket, except that it is governed by the CIV conditions and the Underground travel to St. Pancras.

glynn80

Established Member
These tickets have no restrictions, other than documentation must be carried to support the fact you are travelling to Europe.
This isn't strictly true, there are other restrictions as stated in the FRPP:

London International tickets

Tickets to London International (London Intl CIV) must be offered to customers holding a ticket from London to a Continental destination via Rail/Sea or from London St. Pancras International for Eurostar

Note: Customers holding a Eurostar ticket from Ebbsfleet International or Ashford International can travel free on Southeastern services only – click here for full details.

The Continental travel ticket must be presented at the time of purchase. Note: some TOCs allow presentation of proof of purchase in lieu of the actual Eurostar ticket, e.g. booking confirmation on Eurostar / Travel Agent headed notepaper or by email, showing reference numbers travelling, date and time of Eurostar - see local instructions.

The outward portion must not be dated more than one day in advance of the passenger's ticket between London and the Continent. The inwards portion must not be dated more than one day after the passenger's ticket between the Continent and London. All tickets are issued in accordance with the uniform rules concerning the Contract for International Carriage of Passengers and Luggage by Rail (CIV).

Validity of tickets to/from London International

Where the symbol ✠is marked against the fares in your TIS or the Fares Finder, those tickets include travel by London Underground between the London terminal appropriate to the origin station and London St Pancras International. In principle, this covers all journeys except those originating on East Midlands Trains, First Capital Connect and National Express East Coast where use of London Underground is not normally required. Break of journey on London Underground is not allowed.

The ticket to London International should never be dated more than one day in advance of the Eurostar ticket, which the passenger must also possess.

Break of journey is not permitted except for:

· Where a change of trains is necessary en route to/from London

· In London, a break of up to 24 hours is permitted in either direction.

Where a passenger holds an invalid ticket (e.g. Advance for the wrong train etc), they must be treated in accordance with domestic excess fare instructions. Unless operating difficulties have caused the problem e.g. late Eurostar train.

In principle, most tickets to London International are valid for two months and are unrestricted by day or time of day. Low Saver tickets are not valid for travel on Fridays and other 'Peak' days indicated in the Fares Finder. Apex Single/Return are only valid for the date and trains indicated on the ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.