• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Europe Staff Rail Travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaqster

Hi,

Can someone help me please. I am planning do the following journeys in Jun.

Brussels Central to Amsterdam Central - What coupons do I need to for this leg of the journey please? SNCB and NS both? (Not using Thalys)

Zurich to Geneva (via, Bern, Interlaken Ost, Zweisimmen, Montreux). I can use SBB coupons for most of the journey but worried about the train between 14:25 Zweisimmen to Montreux which is operated by MOB (panoramic train). I have booked an online reservation for it but can i use the SBB coupons on this train or do I need another coupon? Such as BLS or SP? (since these services are not part of the Swiss federal railways)

Thanks for the help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Hi,

Brussels Central to Amsterdam Central - What coupons do I need to for this leg of the journey please? SNCB and NS both? (Not using Thalys)

Zurich to Geneva (via, Bern, Interlaken Ost, Zweisimmen, Montreux). I can use SBB coupons for most of the journey but worried about the train between 14:25 Zweisimmen to Montreux which is operated by MOB (panoramic train). I have booked an online reservation for it but can i use the SBB coupons on this train or do I need another coupon? Such as BLS or SP? (since these services are not part of the Swiss federal railways)

Thanks for the help.

Brussels -Amsterdam you need both NS and SNCB

Re Switzerland , study page 84 onwards on the MOB restrictions and validity on the Staff Travel RDG website. In my experience , you can often buy a priv ticket - but do so before you board the train so you do not get penalty fared. Switzerland is a magnificent land , but just a tad expensive .......

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Hi,

Thanks for the help.

For Zürich to Geneva via that route you’ll need SBB, BLS and SP FIP Coupons

Zerothebrake!

Zurich to Montreux via Bern & Zweisimmen is covered by a combination of SBB,BLS & SP coupons - so apply for each.

Established Member
Yes all three. You need BLS for Spiez - Zweisimmen and SP for Zweisimmen - Montreux.

If you want to save your BLS and SP coupons for another visit before the end of next March then you can use your FIP card to buy a priv single from Spiez to Montreux. I did this in the opposite direction last year and even got a seat at the front of the panoramic train from Montreux. The bank balance has just recovered though.

Shaqster

Thank you all, very helpful indeed. I will apply for all the coupons mentioned.

On another note, if I am travelling with a friend who is not Rail staff, would it be better to buy a SBB Saver Day Pass in advance? We are only doing the journey from Zurich to Geneva via Interlaken and Zwesimmen on the same day.

Veteran Member
Thank you all, very helpful indeed. I will apply for all the coupons mentioned.

On another note, if I am travelling with a friend who is not Rail staff, would it be better to buy a SBB Saver Day Pass in advance? We are only doing the journey from Zurich to Geneva via Interlaken and Zwesimmen on the same day.
I suspect so. You should be able to check the normal fare on the sbb site, but be aware that it defaults to the Halbtax (half fare card) price!

dutchflyer

Established Member
IF for BE and NL only that train is needed-dont bother with staff-tickets. IF bought, online, up to 7 days advance an advance single, even without binded train, is available for 24 eur, FLIXbus is usually just half of that, runs faster and near hourly too.
In fact we on the continent are always a bit surprised that the brits dont even seem to know anymore how railways work/its not companies that count, but boundaries of real countries.

IF for BE and NL only that train is needed-dont bother with staff-tickets. IF bought, online, up to 7 days advance an advance single, even without binded train, is available for 24 eur, FLIXbus is usually just half of that, runs faster and near hourly too.
In fact we on the continent are always a bit surprised that the brits dont even seem to know anymore how railways work/its not companies that count, but boundaries of real countries.

The Beneluxtrein can actually be had for less than that on an ATOC/GBPR issued FIP card. You get 75% reduction for the section within Belgium and 50% within the Netherlands. Ask for it to be split at tariff point Hazeldonk (Grens) -(since it started running on the HSL, before it was at Roosendaal (Grens).
I hear what you are saying about "wasting a coupon box" if only using it for that one train rather then many more in both NL and BE as well as the box being valid for two days in both countries but be mindful that ATOC/GBPR get two coupons per year for both NS and NMBS/SNCB.

The last part will most likely come from the effects of twenty odd years of privatisation over here and the fragmented nature of the rail network with over twenty odd separate train operating companies...

Shaqster

Loads more options. These trains are the only train I am using, therefore coupons might be the best option. Railway ticketing is a minefield if you dont know what you are doing or if you dont do your research. Thanks all.

Blinder

Hi,

Thanks for the help.
SBB to Bern, BLS Bern - Interlaken- Zweisimmen, SP Zweisimmen - Montreux, SBB Montreux - Geneve

Status
Not open for further replies.