• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

European Destination

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackfive460

Don't let these negative comments put you off visiting Prague!
It's a wonderful city with an excellent public transport system and lots to see.
Of course as with any large city, you need to be a little careful but no more than anywhere else. I've felt far less comfortable in London, Paris and Brussels!

Regarding getting ripped off in restaurants, one useful tip is to not let them take away the menu when you've ordered. If you hang on to it and they try to overcharge you have something to show.
Having said that I've never had that problem in Prague - but I have in Budapest!

You will enjoy Budapest and I would strongly recommend visiting the Children's Railway.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The Independent thinks Olomouc (one-time capital of Moravia) is the alternative to Prague.
Easily reached by train from Prague (by trains to Ostrava) or Vienna/Brno.

Swap Prague for Olomouc, the Czech Republic’s undiscovered city break (msn.com)
From star-spangled spires to heavenly cathedrals to baroque monuments, there’s nothing that brings the history of the Czech Republic to life like an atmospheric market square. Olomouc (pronounced Oh-la-moats), in the eastern province of Moravia, has one such gloriously gothic centrepiece — and it’s worthy of a visit because it lets you gorge on everything you’d ever want from the Czech Republic, and all without the seething overtourism of the country’s capital.

Last edited:

Matt_pool

Prague is excellant and not expensive if you avoid the tourist areas. I usually stay in the Zizkov or Vinohrady areas of Prague a mile or so out from the centre and it's very cheap for accommodation, pubs and restaurants.

If you get ripped off it's because you didn't do your homework and go drinking and eating around the Old Town Square!

And I've been there 5 times and never had problems with pickpockets.

Get tram #11 to the end of the line to Prvni Pivni Tramway (Google it!), or go to the Public Transport Museum (usually only open at weekends).

Brno is excellent too and has a lot less tourists than Prague.

Wroclaw and Poznan in Poland are also great and very cheap. I like Bratislava too. Been there 3 times.

sonic2009

Established Member
Budapest is booked for me from the 7th to 10th Feb 22

Looking at the ticket prices, does anyone know where they are valid within the Budapest Municipal Area?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

CC 72100

Established Member
Budapest is booked for me from the 7th to 10th Feb 22

Looking at the ticket prices, does anyone know where they are valid within the Budapest Municipal Area?

Budapest is a great city and you'll have a fantastic time.

Tickets are as per what @LNW-GW Joint has posted above. I'd also point out that in the week, this ticket IS valid on the city boat services (highly recommend - a free sightseeing trip) but NOT at the weekend (in an attempt to dissuade tourists). I did the boat from just outside the parliament building (Kosuth Lajos Ter) to Szent Gellert Ter and then climbed the big hill there for an amazing sunset/night view of the city:

20180926_185614.jpg

Airport bus has a special tariff which can be avoided by getting a bus to Kobanya-Kispest (big bus terminal) and changing the Metro Line 3 from there.

I'd recommend doing tram line 2 from start to finish, make sure you sit on the river side.

superalbs

Established Member
What about Vienna? I found that to be quite reasonably priced.
Austria is pretty horrible at the moment, I wouldn't want to go.

Is this safe given the current tensions in the region?

Thanks for the detail information :)

Ryanair is fine with me.
I've just spent 6 weeks in Ukraine, and it always felt safe. Even in the east, just avoid the war zones and it's a fantastic place to go.

Aictos

Established Member
Austria is pretty horrible at the moment, I wouldn't want to go.

I've just spent 6 weeks in Ukraine, and it always felt safe. Even in the east, just avoid the war zones and it's a fantastic place to go.
That's your opinion about Vienna, I went in Oct last year and it was alright and no way near what I would call horrible.

superalbs

Established Member
How come?

This is exactly what I have heard from various sources too.
Horrible FFP2 mask requirement, and a strict vaccine passport regime. I am just spending all day on trains and then eating snacks.

Not very healthy or fun, but at least everyone is...healthy?

Somewhere like Budapest is a great choice, @sonic2009. There is no mask requirement in the country, and people enjoy this fact.

I wouldn't go looking for an enjoyable trip in up-tight countries, personally. Those with lesser rules, or just outright ignored rules are much more pleasant.

That's your opinion about Vienna, I went in Oct last year and it was alright and no way near what I would call horrible.
I also briefly visited the city in October last year, and it was much nicer.

Last edited:

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Horrible FFP2 mask requirement, and a strict vaccine passport regime. I am just spending all day on trains and then eating snacks.

Not very healthy or fun, but at least everyone is...healthy?

Somewhere like Budapest is a great choice, @sonic2009. There is no mask requirement in the country, and people enjoy this fact.

I wouldn't go looking for an enjoyable trip in up-tight countries, personally. Those with lesser rules, or just outright ignored rules are much more pleasant.

I also briefly visited the city in October last year, and it was much nicer.

One person's uptightness is another person's sensible precautions. And of course, behaviour (whether mandated or self-chosen) can reasonably differ according to previous experience of infection levels, efficiency of medical treatment and facilities, and so on - which can vary as between countries; so differences might be rationally based, and nothing to do with inherent "uptightness" or whatever. In terms of countries where rules are ignored being more pleasant ... well, it depends on the rules which are being ignored!!

(I rather like ignoring rules - but tend not to do so when it's others, as opposed to me, who might suffer from my behaviour.)

sonic2009

Established Member
I thought I would re open this thread and mention that Budapest has now become Warsaw next month, barring any last minute changes.

Can anyone recommend things to do & something I can't get my head round at the moment.

Are you able to do the Warsaw Circle on the trains? Many sites mention engineering works.

The exile

Established Member
Prague is bigger, more touristy, more expensive, but has more trams, a Metro and some interesting rail bits.
Plenty of bits that aren’t particularly touristy and therefore don’t charge western prices!

Status
Not open for further replies.