• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

European Rail distances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Having just organised and returned returned from a brief European Rail jaunt with non-railway people, I've now been asked by them how far we had travelled. I can't find a calculator....can anyone help?
Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Distances are shown in the European Rail Timetable (and in national timetables which you can hunt down and download).
The Schweers and Wall atlases also give detailed kilometrage (Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Slovenia, Northern France).

Many lines in/around Germany have these details on Wikipedia entries (sometimes only in the German version).
eg here is the page for the Thuringia Railway (Halle-Bebra):https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halle–Bebra_railway
You can click on the links for connecting lines, all over Germany if need be.

Here's another for Paris-Strasbourg: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligne_de_Paris-Est_à_Strasbourg-Ville
The French version is much more detailed than the English, even giving you the speed profile for the route.
If you click on "Schema de la Ligne" you get the distance details for the whole line.

So the answer rather depends where you went.

Last edited:

AlexNL

Established Member
The planner tool of Jizdenka can give you the amount of kilometers travelled, but it's a bit quirky to use. It starts in Czech (but you can change the language to English), then you have to fill in some stations. Once you've done that, the "VIA" line should show up and you can click "more..." to get mileage information.

Also, note that the information is incomplete. It doesn't know about the high speed line from Brussels to Paris, for example.

Last edited:

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Many Thanks LNW-GW Joint and AlexNL...I shall follow up your suggestions and see what I can come up with. We didn't go off the beaten track at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.