• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

European sleeper services- power sockets/CPAP machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zamracene749

Hi, sorry if this seems an odd question but i'd really appreciate it if anybody who has experience of any sleepers in central, eastern and southern europe (including Ukraine and Western Russia) could tell me if the compartments were fitted with electrical power sockets or not?

Reason is, some friends and myself are planning a biggish bash in 2013.
Unfortunately, I suffer from sleep apnoea- this necessitates the use of a low powered CPAP machine (a bit of medical kit to stop my airways closing when asleep) which of course must have a power supply.

The route is not planned yet and may well revolve around this requirement!

Any help really appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TCDD

From experience of travelling on Bulgarian and Serbian night trains, the sleeping cars (not the couchettes) all appear to have shaver sockets, but these along with the reading lights etc, rarely seem to work. In fact on one trip no lights worked in my compartment at all! I understand there's new sleepers on the Budapest - Bucharest 'Ister' and these should have all mod cons.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
I dıdn't realıse that Bulgarıan Raılways had any sleepers. Romanıan & Turkısh sleepıng compartments have workıng shaver poınts.

TCDD

Bulgarian Railways has (or at least until last year) some decrepit sleeping cars of what appeared to be East German origin. They still had Mitropa/DSG (German sleeping/restaurant car company) labels on the sink unit inviting passengers to ring for the attendant should they need anything. On the Wien-Sofia 'Balkan Express' that would have been wishful thinking to say the least. The beds were comfortable enough but nothing else worked - the carriage made quite a contrast to the pristine OBB couchette coach next door.

Status
Not open for further replies.