• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

European track spacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheEdge

Established Member
I'm just after some information. In the UK the spacing between two running lines is 6ft and between pairs of running lines is 10ft.

Does anyone know what the equivalent spacing is in Europe?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ploughman

Established Member
I'm just after some information. In the UK the spacing between two running lines is 6ft and between pairs of running lines is 10ft.

Does anyone know what the equivalent spacing is in Europe?

The UK is theoretical and not always anywhere close to what it should be.
There are places where the 6ft is close enough to run trains on.
Some places the 10ft is narrower than the 6ft.

duesselmartin

Established Member
I assume there is no spacing norm for Europe as each country developed there own system. Dont assume Europe as one railway system. Loading gauge in Sweden varies from that of Germany, varies from that of Switzerland etc. Although I assume there is a minimal Osshd/UIC norm so stock can be used cross boarder.

TheEdge

Established Member
Okay, well I'm guessing the spacing is generally larger than of that in the UK? Just to allow for the larger stock?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Okay, well I'm guessing the spacing is generally larger than of that in the UK? Just to allow for the larger stock?

FWIW standard UIC 26m stock is little wider than UK stock at around 2.8-2.9m. The main difference is greater throw on curves, vehicle height, and width below platform height.

Giugiaro

In Portugal lines before 1990 are built with a distance of 3,5m from center-to-center of track. The speed was limited at the time to up to 140km/h.

From 1990 onwards spacing is set at 4,0m up to 2010, and normally grouped in pairs when more than two tracks run alongside. (2+1; 2+2; 2+2+1; etc...)
The speed limit was now topped to 220km/h with EBICAB.

Starting from 2010 the spacing was updated to 4,5m in new lines, and the same grouping of pairs applies. 220khm/h is now applied with EBICAB and ERTMS.

TheEdge

Established Member
Its worked out quite nicely. I needed it for model railway purposes. I had a sneaking suspicion that while the realistic spacing given for UK N was far too close the spacing intended for UK Settrack would be just right.

4.5m in N is 2.8cm, the Peco N track gauge for UK settrack is 2.7cm. Excellent :)

Status
Not open for further replies.