• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

European Vehicle Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristopherJ

Just been reading the latest edition of GMRT2453 on the RGS website and it has been revised to include the application of EVNs to British rolling stock in accordance to the CR OPE TSI.

http://www.rgsonline.co.uk/Railway_...ck/Railway Group Standards/GMRT2453 Iss 2.pdf

Anyone know the date when EVNs will come in to force in the UK? I think it is 2014. Bye bye TOPS numbers!

The big question is will all trainspotters have to start again on a clean slate? They'll be no more five or six digit TOPS numbers - everything will have new 12 digit numbers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
4.2 GB registered rail vehicles not intended to be used in international traffic
4.2.1 Display of rail vehicle identification number
4.2.1.1 Except for locomotives and passenger rail vehicles, the CR OPE TSI Annex P sets out the requirement for the full EVN to be displayed on rail vehicles. It is permissible to display a shortened form of the EVN on locomotive and passenger rail vehicles that are not intended to be used in international traffic.
4.2.1.2 The CR OPE TSI Annex P permits rail vehicles intended for use in national traffic not to display the VKM, as part of the rail vehicle identification number. The CR OPE TSI Annex P permits the display of a recognisable logo as an alternative to the VKM.
4.2.1.3 For existing rail vehicles it is permissible to continue to display the existing GB identification number on the rail vehicle. The requirements concerning the display of the existing GB rail vehicle identification number are set out in Appendix A.

My reading is that the EVN will effectively include the TOPS number, and as the vast majority of UK stock is not intended for international use, it will be permitted to carry on displaying part of the number, in the familiar TOPS format.

Appendix A is also interesting, seems the format will be:

92700067001X

Where:
92 is concerned with interoperability
70 is the code for Great Britain
0067 is the class code (aka 67)
001 is the serial
X is a check digit

jopsuk

Veteran Member
All the 66s that have been in service in Europe have had these numbers applied- and, indeed, the TOPS number is incorporated. It's almost as if the UK reps that helped put together the TSI helped make sure this was the case.

starrymarkb

Established Member
Not really, for the most part existing national numbers are used.

The first two digits are the type (Diesel Loco, EMU, Coach etc)
70 is the code for the UK, others have different :)
The next 7 digits are usually the existing vehicle number
The last digit is a check, calculated from the previous numbers.

Schnellzug

Established Member
I think they already do it with the 66s in use with ECR in France; they just put the national code and the 000 thing in front of the loco number, e.g. 92 70 000 66 001 (or whatever it is). DB do it in a similar way. In fact, isn't it only for stock that works or might be likely to work into foreign Lands?
(so perhaps VWC and EC might need to if Alex Salmon has his way? :lol: )

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Yes- it is only required for stock that works cross border (do the Eurostars have compliant number panels? Enterprise stock?) services. There's nothing stopping a UK TOC/FOC/ROSCO having them on their fleet should they wish, of course.

LE Greys

Established Member
Yes- it is only required for stock that works cross border (do the Eurostars have compliant number panels? Enterprise stock?) services. There's nothing stopping a UK TOC/FOC/ROSCO having them on their fleet should they wish, of course.

I've never seen a full number panel on a Eurostar. The nearest would be the set numbers, formatted 373001 and the vehicle numbers, formatted 3730013, which also fits into the four-digit TGV numbering system.

ChristopherJ

I've never seen a full number panel on a Eurostar. The nearest would be the set numbers, formatted 373001 and the vehicle numbers, formatted 3730013, which also fits into the four-digit TGV numbering system.

I believe Eurostar 373s, 92s and Eurotunnel Shuttle locos are graced with UIC numbers and but it isn't mandatory to display it because their numbering is compatible with national rolling stock numbering systems both sides of the Channel.

Eurostars are numbered as class 373 in the UK and as TGV 373000 in France. 92s are, erm, class 92s in the UK and CC92000 in France.

Le Shuttle stock operates internally on the Eurotunnel system so has a separate numbering system which comprises of four digits between 0000-9999. Engineering stock is numbered at the beginning of the series (Krupps rescue locos are 0001-0005), Shuttle carriages and wagons are in the middle of the series, and Shuttle locos are numbered at the end of the series as 9000/9100/9700/9800. I did have an entire fleet list for Eurotunnel but discarded it when I moved home. Trying to recall what I remember from memory!

Nightstar stock did have UIC numbers, see here for a list; http://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=VIA_Rail_Canada_'Renaissance'_car and here for photographic proof; http://www.flickr.com/photos/67444577@N02/7310901586/

themiller

Le Shuttle stock operates internally on the Eurotunnel system so has a separate numbering system which comprises of four digits between 0000-9999. Engineering stock is numbered at the beginning of the series (Krupps rescue locos are 0001-0005), Shuttle carriages and wagons are in the middle of the series, and Shuttle locos are numbered at the end of the series as 9000/9100/9700/9800. I did have an entire fleet list for Eurotunnel but discarded it when I moved home. Trying to recall what I remember from memory!

Eurotunnel Krupp locos are numbered 0001 to 0007 now that the ex Dutch class 64xx locos have joined the fleet. These fine units are not captive within the Eurotunnel system as can be seen from their rescue of Eurostars during the disruptions of a year and a half ago and hauling the TGV LaPoste to St Pancras. There is no reason why they could not do the same in France - stray onto SNCF metals to clear breakdowns from the eastbound bore. I suppose that the 9xxx locos would also be able to follow suit if operationally convenient.

ChristopherJ

Eurotunnel Krupp locos are numbered 0001 to 0007 now that the ex Dutch class 64xx locos have joined the fleet. These fine units are not captive within the Eurotunnel system as can be seen from their rescue of Eurostars during the disruptions of a year and a half ago and hauling the TGV LaPoste to St Pancras. There is no reason why they could not do the same in France - stray onto SNCF metals to clear breakdowns from the eastbound bore. I suppose that the 9xxx locos would also be able to follow suit if operationally convenient.

Correct. However, the Krupps never were designed to stray outside the Eurotunnel system and this was stated in the official report when the five Eurostar services broke down in the Tunnel, it was all very manic to get them approved to drag the Eurostars to London on that fateful night.

Only in over the past year have they offically lost their virginity to the outside of the Tunnel sous la Manche, since they're now becoming common usage for drags on HS1 (ICE / La Poste) have they received TOPS numbers as class 21/9.

From AB Rail;
21901 0001 CN GYE PTXX ET
21902 0002 CN GYE PTXX ET
21903 0003 CN GYE PTXX ET
21904 0004 CN GYE PTXX ET
21905 0005 CN GYE PTXX ET
21906 0006 CN GYE PTXX ET
21907 0007 CN GYE PTXX ET

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.