• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Europe's most under-rated scenic rail routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
In Spain, Algeciras to Ronda through the Andalusian countryside is really quite spectacular with very characterful little halts.

Best train journey I've been on anywhere operated by top of the range regional DMUs. Although, the most southern bit of the route between Algeciras and the station outside San Roque is very industrial so if you're after stunning scenery then you don't miss much by starting at San Roque opposed to Algeciras.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

class387

Established Member
I just did RhB's St Moritz to Landquart service. It was almost as pretty as the Albula route (which I took on the outbound) after Vereina. Definitely deserves more recognition.

MarcVD

Here are a few of them that I travelled myself and that I can recommend.

Belgium, my home country : basically all lines along and south of the Sambre and Meuse rivers.
If a choice must be made, Liège to Luxembourg would be mine.

France : both lines crossing the "massif central", i.e. Clermont-Nimes and Clermont-Beziers.
Both are threatened, so hurry up.

Spain : The long-distance train (not high speed) Barcelona to Malaga. And also the short stretch between
Antequerra and Granada, although this one is getting HSLized so I don't know its current status.

Italy : Naples to Palermo - sit on the right side to look at the sea - with the Messina strait crossing

Romania-Bulgaria-Greece : The international train Craiova-Sofia will take you in a 80 years time
machine, the 3-car train being hauled by a shunter at 60 km/h max to the new Calafat-Vidin bridge
on the Danube river, over a line that looks much like a german Nebenbahn of the 30ies. Once in Vidin
your carriage will join a domestic train on a very scenic trip to Sofia. And then (after a night in
Sofia) the scenery on the way to Thessaloniki in Greece is even better !

Greece : the central, not yet modernized part of the line between Thessaloniki and Athens.

Turkey : the line between Malatya and Tatvan, and the Van lake crossing on the ferry.

Mongolia-China : going uphill out of Ulan-Bator, and then the crossing of the Gobi desert.
The bogie exchange at Erlian in the middle of the night. And then the chinese part with some
spectacular mountain and river scenery on the way.

Israel : the line from Tel-Aviv to Jerusalem, which will probably be partly abandoned once the
new HSL (or so they name it, but il will be 160 km/h only) is put in service.

Veteran Member
@MarcVD

Welcome and thanks.

I think Clermont-Nîmes will survive, but agree it's a great ride!

johnnychips

Established Member
Belgium, my home country : basically all lines along and south of the Sambre and Meuse rivers.
If a choice must be made, Liège to Luxembourg would be mine.

Agreed. Liege To Aachen on the non high-speed route is very nice too.

mike57

Established Member
Garmisch Partenkirchen - Kempten is also not bad. Going from Germany to Germany through Austria. Also nice is Zittau to Goerlitz where you switch to Poland 2 or 3 times.

Also:
Koeln - Trier
Koblenz - Trier - Saarbruecken - Mannheim

Traveled from Garmish to Kempten in the mid 80's, definitely one to remember, its called the Ausserfern Railway. Combined that with a trip on the Bavarian Zugspitze Railway which reaches 2650m made for an interesting trip. \spent a few days in Garmish. Did Koblenz - Trier on the same holiday.

Another surprisingly interesting trip was from Colonge to Gummersbach,

WestCoast

Established Member
Traveled from Garmish to Kempten in the mid 80's, definitely one to remember, its called the Ausserfern Railway. Combined that with a trip on the Bavarian Zugspitze Railway which reaches 2650m made for an interesting trip. \spent a few days in Garmish. Did Koblenz - Trier on the same holiday.

Anything in any direction from Garmisch is a winner...:D

Koblenz - Trier (- Luxembourg). Oh yes, the Mosel Valley is extremely underrated, love the CFL Stadler KISS double deckers recently introduced on the Luxembourg - Koblenz services, they give a great view in comfort. Highly Recommended.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Best train journey I've been on anywhere operated by top of the range regional DMUs. Although, the most southern bit of the route between Algeciras and the station outside San Roque is very industrial so if you're after stunning scenery then you don't miss much by starting at San Roque opposed to Algeciras.

Yes, that's a good suggestion. Glad you enjoyed it, it's a lovely line.

Last edited:

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Using up my very last free FIP passes - this week I have done ..

Munich - Lindau - diesel hauled through a Bavarian Herefordshire scenery (vines and orchards) - and a lovely lakeside town.

Mannheim - Saarbrucken - Trier (varied scenery with a "fix" of proper steel and coal industries around Saarlouis.

Luxembourg - Namur - Brussels - pleasant rolling hills and Wallonian countryside.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ulm - Stuttgart not bad either - quite hilly and interesting urban landscapes.

Groningen

Established Member
Mannheim - Saarbrucken - Trier

Add Trier - Koeln Hbf and Trier - Koblenz Hbf

Ulm - Stuttgart

Geislinger Steige

From Wikipedia: The ramp is 5.6 km long and climbs a height of 112 m. It has an incline of 1:44.5, which is 22.5 ‰ or 2.25%. The curve radius in places is less than 300 m, with a minimum of 278 m. This section of the line is therefore built in accordance with the standards for mountain railways.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
There is plenty of scope for a period of train riding based around Koblenz

I ran out of time in my 3 days and seriously looked at Liege - Namur - and even more adventure picking my way over from Lindau via Singen - Offenburg - Mannheim.

Obvious thing really - but there is so much more interest when you get off the main lines and use the regional routes , especially for the people aspect ....!

Established Member
In Spain, Line R1 of the Rodalies de Catalunya heading towards Blanes runs right along the beach after leaving Barcelona behind!

I'll add another vote for Liège - Namur, as well as Liège - Marloie (which is sadly threatened with closure, at least it was a few years ago when I did it!).

I also have to agree that the Scuol-Tarasp/Vereina Tunnel - Pontresina/St. Moritz section of the RhB is very underrated. As well as Klosters - Davos, with the line doubling back on itself multiple times as it climbs out of Klosters (and how many of you can claim to have alighted at Cavadürli? ;)).

stut

Established Member
Some of the Lokalbanen routes around Sjaelland (the island where Copenhagen is) are fantastic. A mix of ancient forest (old hunting parks for some part) and coast. All on little DMUs.

KTHV

Oslo - Bergen on the Bergensbanen runs for 308 miles, taking six and a half hours to cross some of Europe's most inhospitable terrain. It was built between 1875 and 1909 and, as you might expect for a line that climbs to 1200m has 182 tunnels enroute

Eurail_image-21.jpg

Last edited:

MarcVD

Including the spur to Flam then I suppose. But this can hardly be qualified as underrated as everyone recognizes the highly scenic character of those lines.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk

Iskra

Established Member
Naples-Lamezia (I only travelled that far, it's on the mainline to Reggio Calabria). You get Vesuvius on leaving Naples, then it's all mountains and coast after that in good rolling stock that is often LHCS on a relatively fast mainline.

Reggio Calabria-Soverato (line continues to Taranto eventually, but I haven't travelled East of Soverato yet)- this is the Italian equivalent of the Cumbrian Coast line. You're once again sandwiched between the coast and the mountains of a National Park which is always a winning recipe- you travel alongside the Straits of Messina with Sicily clearly visible on the other side, on a clear day you can see Mount Etna slowly erupting, but you also have different types of landscape, mountains and coastline again, but this time it interestingly switches from forested hills to desert-like hills/plains covered in Cacti, rock and sand- it's a most interesting line and landscape. But, it's mainly single track and it's a very long line, predominantly served by single car DMU's albeit they are a lot nicer than their British equivalents (153's).

duesselmartin

Established Member
Oslo - Bergen on the Bergensbanen runs for 308 miles, taking six and a half hours to cross some of Europe's most inhospitable terrain. It was built between 1875 and 1909 and, as you might expect for a line that climbs to 1200m has 182 tunnels enroute

Eurail_image-21.jpg
[/QUOTE

i would not consider that stunning line underrated though]

Established Member
While we're in Norway, where many lines are quite superb, I'd put a vote in for the branch line from Dombas to Andalsnes. Not perhaps underrated by those who have done it as it is spectacular, especially the approach to Andalsnes, but possibly not too many have taken the trip.

Groningen

Established Member
I consider all lines in Norway scenic; except for running on time some lines are more in tunnels, than in the past.

racklam

While I agree that the area in general is most definitely not underrated, I personally love the run from Interlaken to Grindelwald, climbing through the narrow valley.

Of course it is relatively underrated, but this part of the route is probably overlooked by many tourists on their way up the Jungfrau.

AY1975

Established Member
Can you think of any scenic rail routes in mainland Europe that tend to be rather under-rated by tourists and railway enthusiasts?

Here are a few to start you off, all of which pass through scenic woodlands:

Liège-Luxembourg
Dresden-Chemnitz
Jena West-Gera (which is known as the Holzlandbahn, or woodland railway)

Then there is also the Saalbahn or Saalebahn between Naumburg and Saalfeld via Jena which runs alongside the river Saale and has the three castles on a hill above the railway line at Dornburg (the Dornburger Schlösser).

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Often overlooked in favour of the more obvious scenic lines in Switzerland:
(Friedrichshafen ferry) - Romanshorn - St Gallen - Pfäffikon - Arth-Goldau - Luzern.
It's a real switchback, and pretty steep for a non-rack railway.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
AT Innsbruck to Feldkirch- Just wow. Beautiful mountain landscape.
DE Buchloe to Lindau- especially in Winter. Pleasant rolling hills and mountains followed by the gorgeous views of Lake Constance.
DE Pirna to Decin Hlavni Nadrazi- more well known but a wonderful run along the Elbe.
DE Flensburg to Kiel- plenty Lakes to stare at.
CH Luzern to Engelberg- has a bit of everything. Some insane mountain faces.
CZ Rakovnik to Beroun- some beautiful lush green valleys and quaint little backwater stations.
CZ-SK Olomouc to Horni Lidec/Puchov- A very slow, sedate winding path through some beautiful valleys.
DK Odense to Hoeje (onwards to Copenhagen)- a very unique landscape of island hopping across a plethora of bridges.

Can +1 on Dresden to Chemnitz.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
+1 to all those, though I think the Garmisch line is well enough known.

To the Saalebahn I'd add the Saalfeld-Blankenstein branch and, in the same area, the Suedthueringenbahn line from Eisfeld to Neuhaus am Rennsteig, then bus to Katzhuette for the line to Saalfeld (note - Eisfeld and Blankenstein are at opposite ends of the Thueringer Wald).

Many other minor lines in CZ too, though some are too bucolic for the average tourist (I go by, will my wife enjoy them?).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
CH: I particularly like the Riviera line, i.e. Geneva Airport to Brig. Worth doing in full for the changing scenery, though by far the most stunning bit - one of my favourite lines in the world, and one I had the privilege of riding twice a week for a couple of years - is between Lausanne and Villeneuve along the banks of Lake Geneva.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Often overlooked in favour of the more obvious scenic lines in Switzerland:
(Friedrichshafen ferry) - Romanshorn - St Gallen - Pfäffikon - Arth-Goldau - Luzern.
It's a real switchback, and pretty steep for a non-rack railway.

Agreed. I'd also nominate some of the railways in the less fashionable Jura mountains - not as spectacular as the Alps but scenic none the less.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
CH: I particularly like the Riviera line, i.e. Geneva Airport to Brig. Worth doing in full for the changing scenery, though by far the most stunning bit - one of my favourite lines in the world, and one I had the privilege of riding twice a week for a couple of years - is between Lausanne and Villeneuve along the banks of Lake Geneva.

Indeed, the lines radiating east out of Lausanne are beautiful. The line to Puidoux which sits above the mainline via Cully is also worth a ride.

I can concur with the Riviera Line though- did it from Visp to Montreux.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Indeed, the lines radiating east out of Lausanne are beautiful. The line to Puidoux which sits above the mainline via Cully is also worth a ride.

I can concur with the Riviera Line though- did it from Visp to Montreux.

If you've got spare time, a quick diversion from Vevey to Puidoux (the "Train des Vignes" - "train of the vineyards" - though sadly no longer officially branded as such) and back down to Lausanne (as you say) is well worth it for the same view from higher up! :) I did sometimes do that for a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.