• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar and the virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chester1

Established Member
I will agree with that. Tuesday/Wednesday were the days things changed rapidly in terms of Eurostar cancelling services and Boris making speeches advising not to travel.

My travel insurer is using 15th March for annual travel insurance - the day that a global pandemic was declared by WHO. That is a fair date at which to draw the line. Trips booked after that date are not covered for cancellation or disruption. Insurers seem to be offering cover for treatment for Covid-19, just not for cancellation or disruption.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gadget88

Trains cancelled to Lille as of tomorrow

Only trains going to Pairs now. 3 per day

alex397

Established Member
I will likely get the travel voucher for my cancelled Eurostar trip next week.

However, I still trying to work out if its possible to actually get a refund. Does anyone know if this is possible?
Its good Eurostar are offering this voucher, but by the time this is over I might not be in the best shape financially.

jellybaby

However, I still trying to work out if its possible to actually get a refund. Does anyone know if this is possible?
Its good Eurostar are offering this voucher, but by the time this is over I might not be in the best shape financially.
Apparently if your train is cancelled you can get a refund via https://prr.eurostar.com/

Chester1

Established Member

Yes you can. You claim it after the train has not run (I would check the day before to make sure its still cancelled). They are trying to push everyone towards vouchers to avoid paying out but your entitled to a full cash refund if your train doesn't run.

alex397

Established Member
Apparently if your train is cancelled you can get a refund via https://prr.eurostar.com/

Yes you can. You claim it after the train has not run (I would check the day before to make sure its still cancelled). They are trying to push everyone towards vouchers to avoid paying out but your entitled to a full cash refund if your train doesn't run.

Thank you very much for that. Will try to get a refund. My trains are the Ashford stopping trains, so already cancelled I believe.

jellybaby

My trains are the Ashford stopping trains, so already cancelled I believe.
I believe the official Eurostar line on that is you can travel (free) on HS1 to St Pancras to catch your train if it is running. I'm not sure if that is the actual contractual position or not.

alex397

Established Member
I believe the official Eurostar line on that is you can travel (free) on HS1 to St Pancras to catch your train if it is running. I'm not sure if that is the actual contractual position or not.

That's probably why the online form said I wasn't eligible. I think I will wait until nearer the time of my train, and try again (probably the day before). If it's doesn't work again, I shall claim the travel voucher.

Dougal2345

That's probably why the online form said I wasn't eligible. I think I will wait until nearer the time of my train, and try again (probably the day before). If it's doesn't work again, I shall claim the travel voucher.
Tried to claim a refund this morning for my (cancelled) journey to-morrow - no joy, just got the 'not eligible' message... I guess I have to wait until the day, or actually the day after... hope this is a safe approach, and if for some reason I can't get the refund, I won't miss out on the voucher as, even with its restrictive terms, it's better than nothing...

Last edited:

AlexNL

Established Member
You're not required to accept the voucher offered by Eurostar, according to the man in seat 61:

If you were booked on any Eurostar departure other than the 10:24 (the only one running), then your train is cancelled & you can claim a full cash refund under CIV (international conditions of carriage) rules. It's the law, and you can insist on it.
Source: https://twitter.com/seatsixtyone/status/1245310159037042688

Dougal2345

You're not required to accept the voucher offered by Eurostar, according to the man in seat 61
Thanks for that. Hopefully the refund page will allow me to claim a refund to-morrow.

Still wish I were zooming through France at this very minute, on the way to sunny Spain, as I'd planned... oh well, spilt milk etc...

alex397

Established Member
Thanks for that. Hopefully the refund page will allow me to claim a refund to-morrow.

Still wish I were zooming through France at this very minute, on the way to sunny Spain, as I'd planned... oh well, spilt milk etc...

I will try this again as well, with my trip planned for tomorrow and return in 8 days time. Belgium and Germany will have to wait! (if I can afford to travel again after all this).

alex397

Established Member
When I have been filling out the online refund form, it says my booking cannot be refunded.

However, I just phoned them up, got straight through, gave my booking reference number, and they cancelled and refunded me! They said it is only possible to do it if the train is booked for the next day.

TFN

Eurostar have ramped up to twice daily between Paris Nord and London St Pancras. Still not stopping at Lille, Calais, Ashford or Ebbsfleet however. Is this a sign of demand slowly increasing?

I'm guessing it'll be short-lived as both France and UK will have 14-day quarantines imposed from 8th June.

Shimbleshanks

Eurostar have ramped up to twice daily between Paris Nord and London St Pancras. Still not stopping at Lille, Calais, Ashford or Ebbsfleet however. Is this a sign of demand slowly increasing?

I'm guessing it'll be short-lived as both France and UK will have 14-day quarantines imposed from 8th June.
My missus came into London from Paris on Tuesday and reported that it was "about 70% full". I think people are actually making trips before the new quarantine rules come in on 8 June.

TFN

My missus came into London from Paris on Tuesday and reported that it was "about 70% full". I think people are actually making trips before the new quarantine rules come in on 8 June.

Their website shows 3 to Paris and 2 back tomorrow. Definitely looks like Eurostar are picking up.

We of course don't know how long any quarantine requirements will last.

It does seem that this quarantine isn't making sense to implement so late now. Demand is there and the new rules are just gonna hit international rail between the UK and mainland back to square 1.

StephenHunter

Established Member
Back to Square 1 would be no Eurostar at all...

As a side note, a personal fantasy of mine is a Nightjet sleeper running from St Pancras to Vienna...

TFN

Until June 7, we’re unfortunately unable to operate services to and from the following stations:

• UK - Ashford International & Ebbsfleet International

• France – Calais Fréthun, Marne La Vallée (for Disneyland Paris), Lille Europe & our Lyon South of France direct service stops (Lyon Part Dieu, Avignon TGV & Marseille St Charles)

• Netherlands – Amsterdam Centraal & Rotterdam Centraal

Good news?

Jamesrob637

Established Member

70% of just one daily train at the time... say 500-600 passengers. Over all Paris to London trains, if they were all still running, that would equate to only double digits, or a handful per carriage at most.

Gadget88

Visor masks used my doctors and nurses are not excepted as face masks according to Eurostar this is crazy

“From The Sun
“CLOTH face coverings are less safe than surgical face masks at stopping the spreading of coronavirus, SAGE documents reveal.

But the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) warned they could help stop transmission of the virus before people develop symptoms.”

I explained I suffer anxiety and they wouldn't listen and won’t be flexible regarding a mask.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
One train a day to and from Paris now

That's a retrograde step isn't it? Thought they'd quietly ramped up to two? Maybe numbers just still aren't there yet. I predict two each way per day from July (29th of June)

PupCuff

Visor masks used my doctors and nurses are not excepted as face masks according to Eurostar this is crazy

“From The Sun
“CLOTH face coverings are less safe than surgical face masks at stopping the spreading of coronavirus, SAGE documents reveal.

But the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) warned they could help stop transmission of the virus before people develop symptoms.”

I explained I suffer anxiety and they wouldn't listen and won’t be flexible regarding a mask.

In which case you can ask them what reasonable adjustments they are making to ensure they comply with the Equality Act (and any similar legislation in France and Belgium). It's been made clear in Government guidance that such measures must not discriminate against anyone directly or indirectly because of a protected characteristic (which could include anxiety if the individual case falls within the Equality Act's definition of a disability, which under some circumstances it could).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Visors are not masks, they protect the wearer only, therefore it is quite right that they are not accepted.

Green surgical masks would be accepted if you had one (I have two I was given at a hospital appointment and they seem to wash OK).

Eurostar as what is now a French company are following French law - do they allow any exceptions?

TFN

That's a retrograde step isn't it? Thought they'd quietly ramped up to two? Maybe numbers just still aren't there yet. I predict two each way per day from July (29th of June)

They had ramped up to 2-3 trains a day to Paris and Brussels each until the 8th June quarantine rules came into force.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Visors are not masks, they protect the wearer only, therefore it is quite right that they are not accepted.
Not wishing to take this off-topic, but is that your opinion, or Eurostar’s policy statement? I wasn’t aware microdroplets could pass through Perspex. They certainly can pass through a cloth-covering

Domh245

Established Member
but is that your opinion, or Eurostar’s policy statement? I wasn’t aware microdroplets could pass through Perspex. They certainly can pass through a cloth-covering

It's common sense - one of the most important aspects of a mask is ensuring a good seal between it and the wearer's face. Needless to say that a perspex mask hanging in front of the face leaves rather large avenues for any virus containing droplets to shoot out the sides/bottom...

Status
Not open for further replies.