Eurostar and the virus

Discussion in 'Covid-19 (Coronavirus) discussion' started by Gadget88, 2 Mar 2020.

1. Chester1

Chester1 Established Member

My travel insurer is using 15th March for annual travel insurance - the day that a global pandemic was declared by WHO. That is a fair date at which to draw the line. Trips booked after that date are not covered for cancellation or disruption. Insurers seem to be offering cover for treatment for Covid-19, just not for cancellation or disruption.

2. Capybara

Capybara Member

They have extended that today until June, with vouchers available for rebooking up to 30 September.

3. Gadget88

Gadget88 Member

Trains cancelled to Lille as of tomorrow

Only trains going to Pairs now. 3 per day

4. alex397

alex397 Member

I will likely get the travel voucher for my cancelled Eurostar trip next week.

However, I still trying to work out if its possible to actually get a refund. Does anyone know if this is possible?
    Its good Eurostar are offering this voucher, but by the time this is over I might not be in the best shape financially.

5. jellybaby

jellybaby Member

Apparently if your train is cancelled you can get a refund via https://prr.eurostar.com/

6. Chester1

Chester1 Established Member

Yes you can. You claim it after the train has not run (I would check the day before to make sure its still cancelled). They are trying to push everyone towards vouchers to avoid paying out but your entitled to a full cash refund if your train doesn't run.

7. alex397

alex397 Member

Thank you very much for that. Will try to get a refund. My trains are the Ashford stopping trains, so already cancelled I believe.

8. jellybaby

jellybaby Member

I believe the official Eurostar line on that is you can travel (free) on HS1 to St Pancras to catch your train if it is running. I'm not sure if that is the actual contractual position or not.

9. alex397

alex397 Member

That's probably why the online form said I wasn't eligible. I think I will wait until nearer the time of my train, and try again (probably the day before). If it's doesn't work again, I shall claim the travel voucher.

10. Gadget88

Gadget88 Member

Wow just one train per day running now

100 passengers according to Twitter

11. Dougal2345

Dougal2345 Member

Tried to claim a refund this morning for my (cancelled) journey to-morrow - no joy, just got the 'not eligible' message... I guess I have to wait until the day, or actually the day after... hope this is a safe approach, and if for some reason I can't get the refund, I won't miss out on the voucher as, even with its restrictive terms, it's better than nothing...

Last edited: 31 Mar 2020 at 14:19