• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar and the virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

jellybaby

That must be extremely irritating!
It wasn't a problem for me as I was already not going as the reason for the trip had been cancelled. I was only waiting on Eurostar to find out if they cancelled the trains so I could have a refund or if I would have to accept a voucher.

On the 4th time of asking they have issued a refund (allegedly, hasn't reached my card yet).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gadget88

So as I said I had no problems with the UK side of Eurostar when I originally contacted I also got in touch with the French side who are going on about masks and I emailed them a copy of the email over. My worry is I get to France ok then have awkward Eurostar people in France? I guess the French Eurostar Twitter is operated in France so don’t recognise Sunflower cards?

Update Eurostar UK said I should not have any problems at the France aide either so hopefully be all good.

Last edited:

Gadget88

The Eurotunnel website crashed today with too many bookings. Must be people taking the car?

Surprised Eurostar have not missed a trick and upping service’s surely there will be a bigger demand in next few weeks?

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Surprised Eurostar have not missed a trick and upping service’s surely there will be a bigger demand in next few weeks?
Given the government have advertised the quarantine free countries as “air bridges”, I imagine the greater public are taking this as “you should fly there, not take the train/boat” so I imagine, sadly, most Eurostar customers will take to flying

popeter45

Given the government have advertised the quarantine free countries as “air bridges”, I imagine the greater public are taking this as “you should fly there, not take the train/boat” so I imagine, sadly, most Eurostar customers will take to flying
considering how the virus is transmitted i would prefer to go via a train than air planes that recirculate air

island

Veteran Member
So eurostar will allow no masks for me but my worry is when I reach France or Belgium they try and impose a fine hopefully the email from CEO of Eurostar will prevent any problems the issue is i don’t speak a word of French
Frankly and knowing the French I think you will still have issues, if not on the British side then being challenged at Lille-Europe station. I speak fluent French and have an exemption for similar reasons, and would not be confident of succeeding in arguing the toss.
Do they have face mask rules in shops or railway stations in France or Belgium?
They’re mandatory in stations and on trains in both countries, with no exemptions for disabilities.

In Belgium the legal requirements in other businesses vary from commune to commune, but most businesses require masks as a condition of entry.

In France, it is entirely up to individual businesses. The Westfield shopping centre near Lille-Europe has gone for “masks strongly recommended“.

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Does anybody have experience of how long Eurostar voucher refunds are taking? The holding e-mail on submitting the claim says up to 28 days - is that peoples' actual experience?

island

Veteran Member
I run a Disneyland Paris fan group on Facebook (yes, I know) and reports from there are anything up to 10 weeks.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I run a Disneyland Paris fan group on Facebook (yes, I know) and reports from there are anything up to 10 weeks.

Thanks. A quick Twitter search suggests at least one person has waited 14 weeks...

I shall set my expectation low!

Strange that a seperate DB voucher refund just now took mere seconds to come through...

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Does anybody have experience of how long Eurostar voucher refunds are taking? The holding e-mail on submitting the claim says up to 28 days - is that peoples' actual experience?
Thanks. A quick Twitter search suggests at least one person has waited 14 weeks...

I shall set my expectation low!

Strange that a seperate DB voucher refund just now took mere seconds to come through...
Pretty good in your case - I guess I'll wait and find out!

Update: Claim submitted yesterday...vouchers recieved just now. Impressive!

Gadget88

Frankly and knowing the French I think you will still have issues, if not on the British side then being challenged at Lille-Europe station. I speak fluent French and have an exemption for similar reasons, and would not be confident of succeeding in arguing the toss.

They’re mandatory in stations and on trains in both countries, with no exemptions for disabilities.

In Belgium the legal requirements in other businesses vary from commune to commune, but most businesses require masks as a condition of entry.

In France, it is entirely up to individual businesses. The Westfield shopping centre near Lille-Europe has gone for “masks strongly recommended“.
Yes I’m Belgium I checked and visors would be allowed in the station. Not sure about France.

I may not travel until the mask rule stops but it may go on months of years and may have to travel. If I got fined would I not have a good case given I have a letter from the CEO?

Established Member
Yes I’m Belgium I checked and visors would be allowed in the station. Not sure about France.

I may not travel until the mask rule stops but it may go on months of years and may have to travel. If I got fined would I not have a good case given I have a letter from the CEO?
Does a letter from the CEO trump the law? Probably not.

island

Veteran Member
I very much doubt that a letter from a British person authorising you to break French law will cut any ice with the French police.

Gadget88

Does a letter from the CEO trump the law? Probably not.
No but I am allowed to wear a plastic visor in Belgium then show the card at Eurostar terminal?

And why would they allow a sunflower card if they can’t be sure I am exempt?

Also you said you are exempt aswell what do you plan to do? Not travel or risk travel?

Gadget88

I see Eurostar are advertising again. Must be the end of essential only travel?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I see Eurostar are advertising again. Must be the end of essential only travel?

Including, I believe, the Disney train. Which is pretty much the polar opposite of "Essential travel only". The message *must* be coming to an end.

Gadget88

Including, I believe, the Disney train. Which is pretty much the polar opposite of "Essential travel only". The message *must* be coming to an end.
Yes I wonder if they will ramp upto a full service before Christmas? Will the xmas markets still go ahead this year?

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Yes I wonder if they will ramp upto a full service before Christmas? Will the xmas markets still go ahead this year?

Xmas markets will be a limited and possibly rather subdued affair. Most I know just want 2020 over and done with now.

Gadget88

So is anybody planning travelling? Here is the email I got

Hello,

We hope you’re staying safe and keeping well. For those who have been unable to travel with us, we’ve really missed seeing you on board. And, if you’re dreaming of your next European escape, we’ve got just the ticket.

With our new flexible tickets launching today, you’ve got the peace of mind to change your mind. Book a seat from London to Paris or Brussels from £39 each way* and you can rearrange your trip as many times as you like up to 31 December without paying a fee, as long as you exchange your ticket at least 14 days before your departure date.

And if you would prefer to stay closer to home, you don’t have to travel far with Eurostar. You can go from London to Paris in as little as 2hrs 16mins or to Brussels from 1hr 53mins**.

So, if your idea of a break is more Montmartre than Margate or you’d rather be in Sablon than Southend, it’s only a train ride away.

AdamWW

Established Member

National Express and airlines don't seem to be pushing the essential travel line either.

One way of looking at it is that they don't need to worry much about 'key workers' being crowded out compared with National Rail.

Another way is that their revenue depends on people buying tickets.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
National Express and airlines don't seem to be pushing the essential travel line either.

One way of looking at it is that they don't need to worry much about 'key workers' being crowded out compared with National Rail.

Another way is that their revenue depends on people buying tickets.

Eurostar are, basically, an Open Access operator (albeit one that is a rail monopoly on almost all the routes it serves). No revenue = No business.

joncombe

I telephoned Eurostar on Monday after I was notified the trains I was booked on were cancelled. I asked for a refund which was no problem (though the email implies voucher is the only option). Today the refund has appeared on my credit card. So at least for me the refund was very speedy. Maybe issuing vouchers takes longer for some reason?

AdamWW

Established Member
Eurostar are, basically, an Open Access operator (albeit one that is a rail monopoly on almost all the routes it serves). No revenue = No business.

Yes. That was the point I was (perhaps badly) trying to make.

Albagubrath

considering how the virus is transmitted i would prefer to go via a train than air planes that recirculate air

??? You are 100% safer on an aircraft than a train!!
Aircraft have air filtration systems as high tech as Hospitals and the air is constantly circulated through this system ! On a train all you have is a system that blows out warm or cold air so basically just blows all the germs about the coach!!
I wouldn’t hesitate one bit to travel on an aircraft but would think twice about a busy train!

Mainline421

??? You are 100% safer on an aircraft than a train!!
Aircraft have air filtration systems as high tech as Hospitals and the air is constantly circulated through this system ! On a train all you have is a system that blows out warm or cold air so basically just blows all the germs about the coach!!
I wouldn’t hesitate one bit to travel on an aircraft but would think twice about a busy train!
That's not true at all. The air circulated on a train comes from the air outside the vehicle and is renewed non-stop.

Gadget88

Few questions

When will they ramp up to a full service?
When will buffet services resume? TGV ones are resuming
And finally when will they drop the face mask rule given Czech Republic have?

Status
Not open for further replies.