• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar Arrival Times

Status
Not open for further replies.

E_Reeves

Established Member
Hi all,

I'm off to France on the Eurostar soon, but the day I come back there is a very important event the same day (which I can't miss). I had a quick look at ES arrivals at Pancras today and most didn't look too promising, quite a few over an hour late. Is this a common occurence or is ES quite reliable usually?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
There was a broken down Thalys on the LGV Nord this morning which probably explains ongoing disruption all day.

Nearly every time I have been on Eurostar it has been in on time or a few minutes ahead of time.

If your connection is that critical, can you not transfer to an earlier train? If you are on a non-flexible ticket, check in early and when the preceding train to yours is nearly finished boarding, ask if there is any spare capacity on it - you might be lucky...

E_Reeves

Established Member
There was a broken down Thalys on the LGV Nord this morning which probably explains ongoing disruption all day.

Nearly every time I have been on Eurostar it has been in on time or a few minutes ahead of time.

If your connection is that critical, can you not transfer to an earlier train? If you are on a non-flexible ticket, check in early and when the preceding train to yours is nearly finished boarding, ask if there is any spare capacity on it - you might be lucky...

I have an hour and a bit wait in London anyway for my train from Euston, but if I can see there's disruption that day I might do that. Thanks :)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Then yes, check in as soon as check in opens ( should be about 2 hours before departure ) and try to get on the one ahead of yours if you can. You'll have to wait until check in closes for the one ahead of yours - which is roughly when that one starts boarding - before it's worth asking, though... but you could always "state your interest" to the staff before that.

E_Reeves

Established Member
As a matter interest, what's the top speed the Eurostar goes in the UK? I thought it was 140mph but I could be wrong.

Hophead

Established Member
I believe it's 230 km/h as far as Ebbsfleet, then 300 until braking is required for the tunnel (except for the Ashford flyover, which is restricted to 270 km/h).

Wait, you can ask if you can be squeezed into an earlier service? You can really do that? Does it work? If I ask them the staff won’t look at me like I’ve gone mad will they?
Everytime I’ve gone on the Eurostar (only 5 times as flying is cheaper usually and I like planes as well as trains!) I’ve got there really early as I travel down from Leeds and allow slack, wish I’d known you could do that! I’ll have to try that next time for sure.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Yes, it's possible - I think the reasoning is that if there is space on an earlier train and time to catch it they do it to try to get people out of the way in order to give themselves as much flexibility as possible in case any disruption breaks out later. Fewer people caught up in it, you see... and more room for premium fare last minute passengers should any turn up...

About four years ago I took my wife to Paris for a short break for her to do some shopping at Galleries Lafayette ( Ouch!!! The prices!!! ); we checked in at St Pancras and a short while later we were actually approached to ask if we'd like to go on the earlier departure in ten minutes... We accepted.

E_Reeves

Established Member
I might try this, but if I get to London early will they let me on an earlier LNWR service as I have a booked time?

Status
Not open for further replies.