• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar - checking in and general help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar

Fares Advisor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgium#Languages

says that 59% of the population speak Dutch and 40% speak French. However the vast majority of people in Flanders natively speak Dutch and similarly the vast majority of people in Wallonia natively speak French, apart from the small German speaking area in the far east around Eupen. So if you are absolutely sure you are in a Dutch or French speaking area then the native language could be useful, but certainly not essential for a tourist. In most of the country, signs will only be in the one native language.

Brussels is the major exception as it is officially bilingual with French and Dutch having equal status, although French speakers are in the majority. Signs in Brussels are in both languages. Given that random people you meet could speak either language, speaking in English is actually preferable to avoid speaking French to a Dutch speaker or vice versa.

There are also a few places near the language border where 'language facilities' exist for either minority Dutch/French speakers, and signs may be bilingual in these areas.

How do Belgians start a conversation with someone where there is a good chance that someone may be a native speaker of either Dutch or French? Do most simply speak their native language? I try to ask a short question in both languages and listen for the person's reply before continuing but would be interested to know what Belgians for example on a train between Bruxelles-Midi/Brussel-Zuid and Antwerpen-Centraal would do.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Searle

Established Member
I agree - Exeter-Leipzig by rail at 14 hours is a bit over my limit for a single day's travel nowadays too! But rail is worth checking out for most places in Germany, which was the point of my original post.

I've done 15 hours from Hertford - Sarlat-en-Caneda in South France, was pretty fun but not sure I'd like to do it again! :lol:

toerist

How do Belgians start a conversation with someone where there is a good chance that someone may be a native speaker of either Dutch or French? Do most simply speak their native language? I try to ask a short question in both languages and listen for the person's reply before continuing but would be interested to know what Belgians for example on a train between Bruxelles-Midi/Brussel-Zuid and Antwerpen-Centraal would do.

Between Brussels and Antwerp, it's dutch (dutch language area)
the only place where you could have trouble in finding the person's language is Brussels (or the few other bilingual cities) otherwise every city is clearly located in a fixed language zone (please avoid using French in Flanders, it's quite a sensitive matter)

Oscar

Fares Advisor
Between Brussels and Antwerp, it's dutch (dutch language area)
the only place where you could have trouble in finding the person's language is Brussels (or the few other bilingual cities) otherwise every city is clearly located in a fixed language zone (please avoid using French in Flanders, it's quite a sensitive matter)

Brussels has a huge majority of French speakers so I presume a train from Brussels to Antwerp may have both French and Dutch speakers in large numbers - I do appreciate why Brussels is a sensitive matter though.

Deerfold

Veteran Member

That was the most fun I had when I went to Bruges last year - I hadn't checked exact return train times back to Brussels and so checked them when I arrived at Bruges.

Although Brussels is signed as Bruxelles-Midi in Brussels in all the timetables at Bruges it was listed as Brussel Zuid. It took me a while to be sure they were the same station. I can translate a little but Zuid does not translate to Midi!

radamfi

Established Member
I can translate a little but Zuid does not translate to Midi!

Obviously 'zuid' is Dutch for south.

'Midi' also means south in French, although of course 'sud' is the more usual word. Southern France, for example, is often known as 'le Midi'.

johnnychips

Established Member
Southern Italy is called 'Il Mezzogiorno' - the 'mid-day' - for the same reason.

Bruges and Ypres are two cities where we in England use the French name, whereas they are in Flanders, Dutch-speaking and use Dutch names, namely Brugge and Ieper.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Obviously 'zuid' is Dutch for south.

'Midi' also means south in French, although of course 'sud' is the more usual word. Southern France, for example, is often known as 'le Midi'.

I wasn't aware of that - only the more usual "Sud".

Thanks.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I imagine "le Midi" comes from "méridional", i.e. a literary word for "southern".

I think that comes from being nearer the meridian, which in the Northern hemisphere is going to mean Southern, yes.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Yes "Midi" has been causing confusion to uneducated Brits for ages. A lot of people equate midi with middle which is transliterated to central hence "central station". I can understand this to a certain extent as "Midi" is the main station in Brussels.

This causes further confusion when one finds out that Brussels/Brüssel/Bruxelles/Brussel actually has a central station or should that be centraal?

Don't even mention the Noord/Nord/North station - I took my friend there for a few minutes (well the street outside!) because he doesn't normally leave his village (Lochgelly) much. I think it was the first time he had seen a naked woman (well, apart from his sister) and he was well shocked! :p

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Yes "Midi" has been causing confusion to uneducated Brits for ages. A lot of people equate midi with middle which is transliterated to central hence "central station". I can understand this to a certain extent as "Midi" is the main station in Brussels.

It's a very particular bit of education - and does seem to derive from "middle" with South being nearer the middle of the earth.

Don't even mention the Noord/Nord/North station - I took my friend there for a few minutes (well the street outside!) because he doesn't normally leave his village (Lochgelly) much. I think it was the first time he had seen a naked woman (well, apart from his sister) and he was well shocked! :p

You may have to explain this to those of us who are uneducated. Is Noord used largely by naturists?

Not quite sure what you're suggesting about people from Lochgelly, either. <D

radamfi

Established Member
You may have to explain this to those of us who are uneducated. Is Noord used largely by naturists?

You can go window shopping around the area near Noord/Nord.

Alternatively, get a northbound train and look out of the window on the right hand side.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
You can go window shopping around the area near Noord/Nord.

Alternatively, get a northbound train and look out of the window on the right hand side.

Ah, similar to Amsterdam?

I've only been to Brussels the once so far (well twice in a weekend), and then only to change trains to Bruges.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Copied & pasted from an older thread "Holland & Belgium queries......"

Not sure how to link it in professionally?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is always quite interesting doing a spot of window shopping from a train on departure from Bruxelles-Nord.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rue_d'Aerschot

radamfi

Established Member

Lots of places in Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany have similar window shopping opportunities, not just Amsterdam. Although Brussels is probably one of the most convenient for the rail station.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Yes "Midi" has been causing confusion to uneducated Brits for ages.

i doubt they teach this in any school!

I'm sure we we're taught about "le midi" at my school and I'm sure also about the "mezziogiorno".

It's a very particular bit of education - and does seem to derive from "middle" with South being nearer the middle of the earth.

Going au naturel may be the only way to avoid being robbed in this area?

Not quite sure what you're suggesting about people from Lochgelly, either. <D

Sorry to go off topic but there is a wee song that may be of use in explanation. Sung to the tune of "Bless' em all",

What a life, what a life, what a life,
If you come from the Kingdom of Fife,
Your uncle's your brother,
Your sister's your lover,
The dog ran away with the wife!

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Lots of places in Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany have similar window shopping opportunities, not just Amsterdam. Although Brussels is probably one of the most convenient for the rail station.

Funnily enough my formal education didn't cover these things. :lol:

I've not spent a lot of time in any of those countries and I suspect Denmark is a bit cold for that type of thing. <D

Or my wife just wasn't taking me to those areas.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Not exactly middle of the earth. Midi = mi (middle) di (day) = midday in French, i.e. where the sun is at midday, in the South. Same as in Italian, mezzogiorno, a few posts up.

i doubt they teach this in any school!
You're going to the wrong school!

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Not exactly middle of the earth. Midi = mi (middle) di (day) = midday in French, i.e. where the sun is at midday, in the South. Same as in Italian, mezzogiorno, a few posts up.

Round here the sun goes east to west. <D

My parents (with input from me) decided from the age of 10 I was going to an all boys school.

Would I have made the same decision at 16 or 18? Perhaps not.

Oscar

Fares Advisor

"méridional" in French comes from "meridionalis" in Latin ("southern", lit."of/belonging to the middle of the day") which comes from "meri-dies" - "middle of the day". Post meridiem - after the middle of the day, ante meridiem - before the middle of the day.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member

I've only been to Brussels the once so far (well twice in a weekend), and then only to change trains to Bruges.

Went past it last week - ironically coming back from Holland ! - looks very tawdry I have to say .......I wonder if this is a driver ditraction , and briefed out accordingly on safety update days.....;)

tannedfrog

Those women are certainly not allowed to be naked while visible through the windows, they must keep underwear on

Eagle

Established Member
"méridional" in French comes from "meridionalis" in Latin ("southern", lit."of/belonging to the middle of the day")...

Which is also why ITV franchisee Meridian Broadcasting chose their name. (Why they used a logo that was almost an exact copy of the nascent Southern Electric's I don't know.)

Quite a few languages have a word for "south" that derives from the word for "noon". Polish is one (południe, literally "half-day").

Status
Not open for further replies.