• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar claim after arriving home over 60 minutes late

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Anyone know what the process is for claiming against Eurostar when we were late on an inbound TGV at Lille earlier this evening?

It was all booked online via Disney and Eurostar and I am amazed that we, and probably a good 100+ others, we're booked from Disneyland Paris at 1553 with an arrival of 1707, and on a train to St Pancras at 1835. That's not even 30 minutes if the train was on time - which it wasn't. It arrived 20 minutes late and the Eurostar had arrived on the platform before we even got up the escalator to check in!

Frankly we couldn't have easily made it had it been on time given how many people had the same connection.

Going the other way, we had well over an hour to wait and obviously no security or passport checks.

Seems totally bizarre and staff appeared to act as if it was quite normal, giving us tickets for the next train. I'm bloody amazed we all got seats - with only a few at the back being put in first class.

Looking online it speaks of 25% back in the single ticket price, but implies it is when the Eurostar service is delayed. It wasn't (well only 6 minutes due to an additional stop at Ebbsfleet).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jaapstam

Anyone know what the process is for claiming against Eurostar when we were late on an inbound TGV at Lille earlier this evening?

It was all booked online via Disney and Eurostar and I am amazed that we, and probably a good 100+ others, we're booked from Disneyland Paris at 1553 with an arrival of 1707, and on a train to St Pancras at 1835. That's not even 30 minutes if the train was on time - which it wasn't. It arrived 20 minutes late and the Eurostar had arrived on the platform before we even got up the escalator to check in!

Frankly we couldn't have easily made it had it been on time given how many people had the same connection.

Going the other way, we had well over an hour to wait and obviously no security or passport checks.

Seems totally bizarre and staff appeared to act as if it was quite normal, giving us tickets for the next train. I'm bloody amazed we all got seats - with only a few at the back being put in first class.

Looking online it speaks of 25% back in the single ticket price, but implies it is when the Eurostar service is delayed. It wasn't (well only 6 minutes due to an additional stop at Ebbsfleet).

Hi jonmorris,

I have never tried this before, but just found this site for you. Maybe it helps?

https://faq.trainline.eu/article/168-delayed-train-compensation

Kind regards and good luck
Jaap Stam

Oscar

Fares Advisor
As the Trainline EU (ex-Capitaine Train) website says, you're entitled to 25% compensation according to the French compensation scheme. The form is here.
http://medias.sncf.com/sncfcom/pdf/garantie/Formulaire_G30.pdf
If SNCF can process Eurostar booking references (I imagine so), then I would suggest applying for compensation from SNCF as the delay was on the TGV and Eurostar won't have access to the information on punctuality of SNCF services. But I think it's genuinely unclear whether you should claim from Eurostar or SNCF.
I think it's

jon0844

Veteran Member
I wrote to Eurostar and besides the 'thanks for your email' response have not heard anything as yet.

I am not unsure whether I should also proceed via SNCF, as I have given all my ticket details and a screenshot of the delayed service to Eurostar.

dutchflyer

Established Member
The theory/principle is that one always has to claim by the one who SOLD the ticket. This comp. must if so needed do the extra burocracy for refunds to claim from others. At least on the continent travel-agents thus also have to do that and cannot claim special reasons for not nor fees to do it.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Eurostar came back to say I need to claim via SNCF and sent a link to forms all in French. It doesn't seem too difficult but I am now beginning to wonder if it's worth my time overall.

I may go back to where I bought the tickets from, but as you might have guessed, you need to phone up a customer services number (likely not free) and potentially sit on hold for goodness knows how long.

Le sigh!

Blinder

Eurostar came back to say I need to claim via SNCF and sent a link to forms all in French. It doesn't seem too difficult but I am now beginning to wonder if it's worth my time overall.

I may go back to where I bought the tickets from, but as you might have guessed, you need to phone up a customer services number (likely not free) and potentially sit on hold for goodness knows how long.

Le sigh!

When you get your compensation you will be given vouchers, which will have to be exchange directly with SNCF, either in France or via their call-centre (which is in Barcelona).

jon0844

Veteran Member
To be honest, I can live with missing a train and being put on a later one. Some compensation would be nice, but it seems like it will not only take ages but end up getting me nothing of use, as I don't have any further trips (of my own organising) planned. Any other trips will be with tickets paid for by someone else.

One thing that crossed my mind was how I could be booked on two trains with such a ridiculously tight connection even if the train was on time!

Veteran Member
Just to say that I got compensation in euros last time I used SNCF, though the ticket was booked off their own website.

Status
Not open for further replies.