• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar Class 92's bought by Eurotunnel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humberside

From wnxx.com

Eurotunnel Class 92s...
It has been announced that Eurotunnel have purchased five of the seven redundant and long term stored former Eurostar Class 92s currently languishing at Crewe EMD.

" Eurotunnel said Thursday that in line with its development policy, it has acquired five Class 92 locomotives for GBP2 million following a tender offer launched by Eurostar, the owner of a fleet of this type of engine. The Class 92 locomotives are Tunnel compliant and the value of the acquisition is slightly above GBP2 million (EUR2.9 million), the company said. This investment demonstrates Eurotunnel's desire to develop cross-Channel rail freight and to make the most of its know how in the sector through its subsidiary, Europorte 2, it said.
These multi-current electric locomotives, built in the United Kingdom, between 1993 and 1996, by Brush Traction have a maximum power of 5MW (6800 horsepower) and a top speed of 140 km/h. Following a major service, they will join Eurotunnel's existing fleet of 57 shuttle pulling locomotives. "

The seven Class 92s, five of which will be part of the deal outlined above, stored at Crewe since April 2001, are 92020 92021 92032 92040 92044 92045 and 92046

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David

Established Member
Is that why they have disappeared from view?

I was in Crewe 10 days ago, and along Dunwoody Way, there was nothing to be seen apart from a few wagons.

Hentis

I would have said so. Its about time that some one utilised them. i bet EWS are kicking them selves now. At least theres another operator out there that are willing to use them.

Cheers

Hentis

Dennis

Established Member
Bit of a bargain - didn't they cost well over a million pounds each when new?

1VWC

I would have said so. Its about time that some one utilised them. i bet EWS are kicking them selves now. At least theres another operator out there that are willing to use them.
Why would EWS be kicking themselves?

EWS have no use for them.

Also, I wouldn't bet on this having too much of an impact on EWS' services, after all, look what has happened to SNCFs foray into the UK.

...exactly. Nothing!

It could increase EWS business if Eurotunnel don't go out with the cherry picker.

Status
Not open for further replies.