• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar delays at Paris in pre-Brexit trial run

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoffk

Established Member
Train services from Paris to London were delayed yesterday and there were huge queues as French customs staff staged “Brexit-style” security checks at the Gare du Nord. Border officials imposed a work-to-rule to reinforce their demand for more staff to deal with extra checks after the UK leaves the EU. As passengers and trains were hit by delays of up to two hours, one border guard declared: This will be what it is like after Brexit. Back to 1970s.
[Evening Standard 6th March 2019]

According to Real Time Trains, trains from Paris were between an hour and 100 minutes late crossing Kent and similar delays are evident today.

I remember doing Paris to Leeds in five hours a few years ago. Not any more.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Waltzed through from Amsterdam today - classic to BX and then the 1757 for Lille and Ashford. We were held maybe 10 mins "awaiting passengers" at Lille - lost path on HS1 but good enough.

In passing the morning London to Amsterdam is a real joy of a train. Loadings seem decent enough also. I lived the idea of the aperific car doing a round in Standard-Premier - to assist you arrive happily into thr city.

geoffk

Established Member
Waltzed through from Amsterdam today - classic to BX and then the 1757 for Lille and Ashford. We were held maybe 10 mins "awaiting passengers" at Lille - lost path on HS1 but good enough.

In passing the morning London to Amsterdam is a real joy of a train. Loadings seem decent enough also. I lived the idea of the aperific car doing a round in Standard-Premier - to assist you arrive happily into thr city.
Brussels trains are not affected - only Paris trains and I see they are still coming through the tunnel very late.

paddington

French customs staff staged “Brexit-style” security checks at the Gare du Nord. Border officials imposed a work-to-rule to reinforce their demand for more staff to deal with extra checks after the UK leaves the EU. As passengers and trains were hit by delays of up to two hours, one border guard declared: “This will be what it is like after Brexit. Back to 1970s.”

So Brexit means French strikes?

anme

Established Member
So Brexit means French strikes?

Brexit is likely to mean a lot more paperwork at borders, if the UK really does leave the single market and customs union, which were specifically set up to reduce red tape and wasted time and resources. The French border staff are striking because they think more staff and more pay is required to do this extra work after brexit.

This must be a tough one for brexiters. On one hand, sneering at foreigners seems to be a core part of leaver ideology. On the other hand, if the French government doesn't spend their taxpayers money on more customs staff and facilities, it will cause delays at the border which will be very bad for the UK. I wonder which side they will take?

The best solution may be for the British to pay the French government to invest in extra customs staff and facilities.

philjo

Established Member
According to an article in the Evening Standard last night after their luggage had been scanned every passenger was being asked where they lived, what their jobs were and if they were carrying any money or drugs.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/tra...oms-staff-continue-brexit-drill-a4084996.html

Cross-Channel train services were thrown into chaos again today as militant French trade unions staged a “Brexit-style” work to rule.

Eurostar was reporting cancellations and delays to services from its Paris hub, where long queues started to build from 6am.

They were caused by uniformed French customs officials at the Gare du Nord interrogating all passengers once their luggage had cleared X-ray machines.

“They’re asking us where we live, what our jobs are, and whether we have any money or drugs on us,” said Iain Kelly, a businessman travelling to an early morning meeting in London.

“This never normally happens, and it’s pretty intimidating. Once your luggage clears you are normally good to go.
“The customs officials are being extremely aggressive, and causing massive delays. They’re treating everybody as it they’re a problem.”

One train – the 8.37am from Paris to London – was cancelled completely.

Michael Szadkowski, a Le Monde journalist who was also travelling to the English capital, said customs officials were trying to “demonstrate the effects of Brexit” and “the result is that security checks are reinforced with absurdity”.

A statement released by Eurostar read: “We are experiencing up to 120 minutes delay on departures from Paris Gare du Nord today due to French customs work to rule.’”

“If you arrive at your destination more than 60 minutes late, you can claim compensation.”

Five French trade unions are behind the protests, and are demanding more staff and better pay to cope what they will argue will be more difficult checks after Brexit, which will technically happen at the end of this month.

David-Olivier Caron, of the CFDT union, said: “Customs officers are strictly applying the rules and reinforcing controls.”

And Philippe Bollengier, from the CGT union, added: “There will be stronger controls. Today you have a demonstration of what is going to happen” [after Brexit].

One of his uniformed colleagues dealing with passengers waiting to travel from Paris to London said: “Brexit will be terrible for all of us.

“We simply do not have the manpower or resources to deal with the new demands on us.”

Despite this, the officer could not explain what would change, particularly as French customs currently deal with thousands of non-EU passport holders every day.

Instead he spent a minimum of three minutes interrogating every passenger whose luggage had already been cleared by passing through a detector.

“Like all of them, he’s being absolutely bloody-minded,” said a 34-year-old British passenger from London.
“This is industrial action by the French pure and simple. Militant trade unionists are using Brexit as an excuse to raise their grievances.”

Trade unions regularly bring transport to a halt in France as they campaign for better pay and conditions.

Another statement posted by Eurostar on its website reads: “We expect to maintain services on the existing basis, timetable and terms and conditions following Brexit.
“We are working closely with our station partners, Governments and border authorities on both sides of the Channel to ensure that robust plans are in place for us to continue to operate in either a deal or ‘no-deal’ scenario.”

SamYeager

According to an article in the Evening Standard last night after their luggage had been scanned every passenger was being asked where they lived, what their jobs were and if they were carrying any money or drugs.
So essentially French customs were nit picking to the point of absurdity which is something they would very rarely do even if the traveller came from the USA or Africa? Of course the editor of the Evening Standard is vehemently anti Brexit and so has a strong incentive to play this up.

dave75

So essentially French customs were nit picking to the point of absurdity which is something they would very rarely do even if the traveller came from the USA or Africa? Of course the editor of the Evening Standard is vehemently anti Brexit and so has a strong incentive to play this up.

Yes. I had this today. Every passenger being asked if they 10k/drugs/alcohol/tobacco. Luckily on a train 'only' 30 minutes late leaving. Not much point arriving earlier as you will wait 4 earlier train queues to clear.

Took about 45 mins to get through and i was lucky as a lateish arrival skipping ahead of people queuing 4 next train (i was travelling from elsewhere so had no choice re my arrival time).

Aictos

Established Member
Indeed the French who strike for any reason and often enough be it Rail, Air Traffic Control, Ports or Roads are only doing so to spite the UK Government and bully them into accepting their demands.

As stated in the report above and I quote "particularly as French customs currently deal with thousands of non-EU passport holders every day." So why do the French need to waste and I quote again "minimum of three minutes interrogating every passenger whose luggage had already been cleared by passing through a detector."

So what's the difference between non EU passport holders and UK passport holders after Brexit? It just seems to me that the French unions are doing this because the French Government allows them to get away with it as always and as to the UK paying the French more to secure their own borders I disagree because I don't see the French paying us more money to secure our own borders so why should we pay them more?

Surely it's down to each country to fund and secure their own borders?

gordonthemoron

Established Member
This must be a tough one for brexiters. On one hand, sneering at foreigners seems to be a core part of leaver ideology. On the other hand, if the French government doesn't spend their taxpayers money on more customs staff and facilities, it will cause delays at the border which will be very bad for the UK. I wonder which side they will take?

They're not customs, they're immigration/border control

SHD

They're not customs, they're immigration/border control

No, they are customs agents (Douanes), but they have the right to question travelers on their whereabouts.
Immigration/Border control is performed by the Police aux frontières (PAF).

If you mean that it would be much more practical if the UK government performed its border controls for Eurostar passengers on its own territory, I totally agree with you...

anme

Established Member

Well it depends, doesn't it? It's a big problem for the UK if there are delays at the UK/France border, and the French taxpayer may not be interested in spending lots of money just because of Nigel Farage.

Out of interest, why don't the British customs agents do the same? Surely they deserve a pay rise too?

johnnychips

Established Member
If you mean that it would be much more practical if the UK government performed its border controls for Eurostar passengers on its own territory, I totally agree with you...

Too late then. Easier to stop an illegal boarding in Paris or Brussels than trying to deport them from U.K.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
At the end of the day we have decided to leave the EU so we will have to live with the consequences. Of course Rees-Mogg et al will get round the problem by hiring their own private jets etc.

Aictos

Established Member
Well it depends, doesn't it? It's a big problem for the UK if there are delays at the UK/France border, and the French taxpayer may not be interested in spending lots of money just because of Nigel Farage.

Out of interest, why don't the British customs agents do the same? Surely they deserve a pay rise too?

Indeed, It affects us just as much as the French so surely they deserve more staffing and a pay rise to boot?

As I said above, the French like to strike for any reason if any is needed in the first place and I'm not anti French indeed apart from Paris Est a few years ago where staff were worse then in the UK I've actually enjoyed my trips to France.

I just don't see why the French Unions should be allowed to get away with so much, yes Brexit is happening but I don't see the UK using it as a excuse to cause delays to innocents and also what's the difference between UK passport holders and Non EU passport holders after Brexit? Answer nothing, the French are simply being awkward because they can be, maybe just maybe we ought to mirror their approach and delay on purpose people's journeys and blame it on Brexit?

jon0844

Veteran Member

Are our customs agents still proper agents, or is it outsourced like the passport control is to agency staff? At St Pancras, you see them scan your passport with a phone app and - it appears - if they have any issue then they just let you through anyway, rather than scan again.

The upside is speed, but if proper checks are brought in then people will notice a difference.

After all, if they scan a passport and it shows up on a watchlist, what happens then? Do they press a panic button or something? Do they detain you themselves?

jon0844

Veteran Member
At the end of the day we have decided to leave the EU so we will have to live with the consequences. Of course Rees-Mogg et al will get round the problem by hiring their own private jets etc.

If the economy crashes, he'll maybe use the opportunity to invest in Eurostar or other businesses at a discount to make a few quid when things, hopefully, recover over the next - what was it he said - 50 years?

Jacob and his cronies are sure to do okay from Brexit, that's for sure. Good news for him and his businesses, family etc.

SHD

Too late then. Easier to stop an illegal boarding in Paris or Brussels than trying to deport them from U.K.

I know perfectly well that this extraterritorial border control by the UKBF has significant benefits when it comes to limiting illegal immigration to the UK. But as you are surely aware it has long been a favour extended to HMG by France and Belgium (through trilateral agreements) and is not practical for a railway operation. Even for air transport, it is very rare (I am only aware of the US doing it in Ireland, Canada, UAE, and Caribbean countries).

Last edited:

anme

Established Member
I know perfectly well that this extraterritorial border control by the UKBF has significant benefits when it comes to limiting illegal immigration to the UK. But as you are surely aware it has long been a favour extended to HMG by France and Belgium (through trilateral agreements) and is not practical for a railway operation.

Why is it not practical for a railway operation? It seems to work pretty well.

SHD

Why is it not practical for a railway operation? It seems to work pretty well.

It requires a "sterile" zone in the departure station (*). Where this is not possible or where additional stops are planned in the Schengen zone (e.g Amsterdam, ski, Marseille Eurostar), it has led to the ridiculous de-training and re-training ballet.

(*) the mezzanine at PNO that is so maligned on this forum

Last edited:

anme

Established Member
It requires a "sterile" zone in the departure station (*). Where this is not possible or where additional stops are planned in the Schengen zone (e.g Amsterdam, ski, Marseille Eurostar), it has led to the ridiculous de-training and re-training ballet.

(*) the mezzanine at PNO that is so maligned on this forum

But it works very well where it is in place. I would not like to see it dropped in Paris, Brussels, London, etc, and I am sure Eurostar wouldn't want it dropped either.

TRAX

Established Member
Delays or not, customs checks will take much longer than at present. That’s the point.

SHD

(irony alert) Look on the bright side, we'll get blue passports.

Blue, adorned with DIEU ET MON DROIT, bearing HM the Queen’s signature... and printed in France. That’s English irony (*) for you!

(*) Honni soit qui mal y pense, obviously

route101

Established Member
Are our customs agents still proper agents, or is it outsourced like the passport control is to agency staff? At St Pancras, you see them scan your passport with a phone app and - it appears - if they have any issue then they just let you through anyway, rather than scan again.

The upside is speed, but if proper checks are brought in then people will notice a difference.

After all, if they scan a passport and it shows up on a watchlist, what happens then? Do they press a panic button or something? Do they detain you themselves?

Arent the agency staff at airports just help with the queuing system?

Status
Not open for further replies.