• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar e320 / Class 374 "Velaro"

Status
Not open for further replies.

33Hz

I came back from Brussels on a 374 last night. Somewhere around Rainham an alarm went off and the train started coasting to a halt. Cue 4 annoyed staff running down the aisle shouting "someone's smoking in the toilet". The train manager gets on the PA with a very sarcastic tone thanking the culprit for delaying the train and ignoring the previous announcements not to do it, declining to make the same announcement in French, while the rest of them reset something in the control panel next to that toilet and the train got back on the power.

I have to say, I was sitting in the closest seat in the next carriage and I didn't see or smell anything like people going in that toilet to smoke.

Anyway, what surprised the most about this incident was that a smoke alarm could stop the train. I thought fire policy in the Channel Tunnel itself now was to continue driving to the exit if conditions allowed?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikePJ

More likely that the driver is instructed to stop the train if he/she sees the fire alarm go off outside the tunnel. I doubt it's automatic.

NotATrainspott

Established Member
At Rainham the train would be only a few minutes from entering the Stratford-Barking tunnel. After that, the only fresh air is in the Stratford box, or if they activate the numerous safety systems available in the tunnel. Had the alarm gone off too late to stop before the tunnel, they would probably continue until Stratford if they can. A possible in-tunnel evacuation would be the worst thing to do.

33Hz

More likely that the driver is instructed to stop the train if he/she sees the fire alarm go off outside the tunnel. I doubt it's automatic.

It was strange because the crew were already on the walkie-talkies saying it was just someone smoking, but it was only when - and the split second when - they reset whatever was in that panel that the train got back on the power.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
So... Does anyone know how many of the 374s are in service or delivered ?.

I have lost track since waiting for the last four pairs (eight units) - that is 374013 & 374014 plus 374029 - 374034. But some more pairs out of the outstanding four pairs must surely be in service by now ?.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The last I saw a couple of weeks ago was that the penultimate one had been delivered, so one more to come.

That doesn't mean that everything delivered so far is in service, of course.

whhistle

On Moderation
The amount they are spending to refurb the 8x 373s they are keeping is about a quarter of the cost of the 10x 374s they ordered in the first tranche
I don't doubt you, but please remember to cite your sources.

33Hz

So... Does anyone know how many of the 374s are in service or delivered ?.

I have lost track since waiting for the last four pairs (eight units) - that is 374013 & 374014 plus 374029 - 374034. But some more pairs out of the outstanding four pairs must surely be in service by now ?.

4031/4032 and 4013/4014 have been seen in photos posted in the Amsterdam Eurostar thread in the International section. Seems they are using some of the new trains for demo runs before going into public service.

Last edited:

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Had a refurbed 373 from Ashford to Disney on Tuesday. Not impressed tbh, seats seem smaller at tables and whilst plug sockets were a welcome addition and should have been in places ages ago, they're in the most awkward position!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Had a refurbed 373 from Ashford to Disney on Tuesday. Not impressed tbh, seats seem smaller at tables and whilst plug sockets were a welcome addition and should have been in places ages ago, they're in the most awkward position!
I think on the refurb 373 they are in the back of the seat in front, but I'm not certain.

I consider the positioning of the sockets on the 374, underneath your own seat, is the worst possible arrangement. They are not obvious unless you look for them so many people won't know they are there, and having eventually found them on my first journey I had to kneel on the floor to see which socket was which and to insert the plug. If you're in an aisle seat and the person in the window seat needs to get past then you must remember to put the device on the seat not on the table.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
I think on the refurb 373 they are in the back of the seat in front, but I'm not certain.

I consider the positioning of the sockets on the 374, underneath your own seat, is the worst possible arrangement. They are not obvious unless you look for them so many people won't know they are there, and having eventually found them on my first journey I had to kneel on the floor to see which socket was which and to insert the plug. If you're in an aisle seat and the person in the window seat needs to get past then you must remember to put the device on the seat not on the table.
Eurostar practically admit the sockets aren't obvious, as there's a segment in that slightly-annoying cartoon that plays on all the screens, demonstrating where to find them.
As some design guru once said about "push" and "pull" on a door, "if something as simple as a door needs printed instructions, the design's failed".

ValleyLines142

Established Member

I'm at a table, so they're under the armrest.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
The last I saw a couple of weeks ago was that the penultimate one had been delivered, so one more to come.

That doesn't mean that everything delivered so far is in service, of course.

4031/4032 and 4013/4014 have been seen in photos posted in the Amsterdam Eurostar thread in the International section. Seems they are using some of the new trains for demo runs before going into public service.

Well the news is I saw 374031 & 374032 arrive at St Pancras from Brussels at 19:03 on Friday 05/01/2018 on a service train.

This probably means that only the last pair (374033 & 374034) are left to be built. They may of course be built and in service but I suspect it is too soon given the gradual progress of the preceding 374s into service.

This sighting also begs the question - have 374013 and 374014 also entered service ?. I know they got to St Pancras once on a special run but have otherwise spent ages in Holland. At least 374031 & 374032 did not hang around there for so long.

I don't think I saw any 373s in the old livery in the 90 minutes I was there btw.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Have seen 374029 & 374030 in service now. That only leaves me to see 374013, 374014, 374033 & 374034 in service. So that leads me to believe that the last pair (374033 & 374034) are yet to arrive from the Siemens and that 374013 & 374014 are still playing around in the Netherlands. Anyone have any update on those two pairs ?.

AlexNL

Established Member
4013/4014 are used as a testbed by Siemens to trial software (and hardware, if necessary) modifications needed to operate in the Netherlands.

I don't know about 4033/4034, I'm guessing it's still awaiting delivery from Krefeld.

Cletus

Established Member
Left St Pancras this afternoon at 1637 and I'm pretty sure I saw 374033 there.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Left St Pancras this afternoon at 1637 and I'm pretty sure I saw 374033 there.

Yes, I can confirm. On Monday 19/03/2018 I saw 373033 & 373034 arrive at 19:41 on the 19:39 arrival from Paris.

But I have no record of 374013 & 374014 in service yet !.

whhistle

On Moderation
Can anyone tell me if the vestibule doors have that funny opening handle, or are they more British button style?

DanNCL

Established Member
I think 375013/374014 was the set that worked the innagural Amsterdam service the other day (can anyone confirm that?); if it did then that means all 374s have now entered service.

RichJF

Used the E320 for return business trip this week.
Train out: WiFi broken & a row of seats cordoned off due to broken armrests.
Train back: Caked in grime outside, paint missing, multiple toilets blocked & broken, seat back table very hard to push up, card machine in buffet car broke down.

Is it me or the trains not aging very well, Eurostar not looking after them or the 373s being more rugged than their newer replacements? A 373 was next door in Paris & looked so much smarter in the E300 livery.

TRAX

Established Member
It’s a controversial opinion but all you describe does not surprise me coming from Siemens and considering what the manufacturer has sold to European tram and railways in this century.

FOH

I took a weekend away a few weeks ago. The E300 out was spotless and everything worked. The E320 back had no air con in two coaches and was near unbearable. The ride also was much more fussy. I’ll try and stick to E300s in future if I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.