• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar e320 / Class 374 "Velaro"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
given the 373s have run on the ECML up to Leeds for a fair period when leased to GNER ...

Yes, but the query was if the removal of third rail shoe gear prevented 373 sets from leaving HS1, which it doesn't.

They made it to Manchester and Birmingham under their own power during testing in 1998 and 1999 on the WCML too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hawkeye

One has just arrived in St Pancras, platform 6. It's quite a bit taller than the 373 next to it...

33Hz

They will be using the 374s on most of the Paris services to start with.

This seems strange to me. They buy a fleet that is compatible with much of Europe then use it on the core route that their existing, refurbished units are happy with.

If they want to run these trains to further destinations I really think their length is overkill. Far better to have the split in the middle capability and serve two destinations like DB planned.

southern442

Established Member
This seems strange to me. They buy a fleet that is compatible with much of Europe then use it on the core route that their existing, refurbished units are happy with.

If they want to run these trains to further destinations I really think their length is overkill. Far better to have the split in the middle capability and serve two destinations like DB planned.

I can see where you are coming from, but I can also imagine routes like London-Amsterdam being in huge demand once they are introduced.

FlippyFF

Just passed a 374 working 9I47 1620 Lille Europe to St Pancras International at Lenham Heath, earlier (16:20ish) 374007 was sitting in the London bound international platform at Strayford International.

superalbs

Established Member
Last edited:

Townsend Hook

This seems strange to me. They buy a fleet that is compatible with much of Europe then use it on the core route that their existing, refurbished units are happy

It makes perfect sense, IMHO, to get the units running reliably on the core network before risking them further afield. The extended services to eg. Amsterdam presumably won't be starting until some time after the 374s are introduced, so until then keeping them fairly central in case of any teething troubles would seem to be A Good Idea.

Mikey C

Established Member
Will they be using the 374s to cover for absent 373s getting a much needed refurbishment?

Do the new trains have a higher capacity. If so then Paris makes sense as I believe these are the heavily loaded services. Also perhaps the plan is to use the new trains to cover existing services while the old trains are refurbished. The old trains desperately need a refurb.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Surely they can run the new trains to Germany. Should be someone there that knows how to fix them if they go wrong. ;)

Townsend Hook

Do the new trains have a higher capacity. If so then Paris makes sense as I believe these are the heavily loaded services. Also perhaps the plan is to use the new trains to cover existing services while the old trains are refurbished. The old trains desperately need a refurb.

According to Wikipedia, a 374 has 902 seats compared to 750 on a 'Three Capitals' 373.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
the Class 374 versus the 373 is (very) slightly longer, has much longer carriages (still with doors at just one end) - 16 in total, versus 20 vehicles in a 3 Capitals set - and much less wasted space, with most of each driving vehicle being passenger accommodation rather than having power cars + part power cars at each end

nuneatonmark

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but as the Velaro's have a higher top speed, does this mean they will travel at 320kph and if so, will the journey time to Paris/Brussels come down as a result?

destere

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but as the Velaro's have a higher top speed, does this mean they will travel at 320kph and if so, will the journey time to Paris/Brussels come down as a result?

Not sure on top speed, however better acceleration will help reduce journey times.

Julian G

Established Member

I'm not sure. Speed limits between London and Ebsfleet are 225km/h/140mph
Ebsfleet-Channel Tunnel and the LGV Nord are 300kmh/186mph.

This week there have been 3 E320s out on one day.

London St.Pancras-Lille Europe and back.
London St.Pancras-Paris Gare du Nord and back.
London St.Pancras-Dollands Moor and back to Calais and back to London.

notadriver

Established Member

This week there have been 3 E320s out on one day.

London St.Pancras-Lille Europe and back.

London St.Pancras-Paris Gare du Nord and back.

London St.Pancras-Dollands Moor and back to Calais and back to London.

The limit between London and Southfleet Junction is 230 kph/143mph.

Kentish Paul

I believe there is a slight reduction to 270Km/h at Ashford due to the vertical transition from the viaduct to the cut and cover tunnel.

Phil.

Established Member
I could be wrong, but IIRC the plan for split trains was if there were issues, the train would be split and the other part would head off and away from the issue. They then found that in most issues where this would be needed (ie fires), the fires tended to cause slight 'issues' to the OHLE and there was no power to run the train. It was easier and better to evacuate the passengers away from the fire and either into a service tunnel, and then onto a train heading the other way in the next tunnel, or via service trucks.

Correct. And I believe that "they" are still training Train Managers to drive half sets following a splitting issue even though - as you've pointed out - a train will never be split.

D1009

Established Member

flash

Correct. And I believe that "they" are still training Train Managers to drive half sets following a splitting issue even though - as you've pointed out - a train will never be split.

Not anymore. Train Managers are trained to put the cab into service - the splitting of trains & emergency driving requirements are no longer in the rule book.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
4007 in St Pancras tonight. Training run?

Looks stunning by the way.

33Hz

I saw it leave around 5:40. Looks amazing, sounds loud. Unmistakable sound of a Velaro, but much louder.

33Hz

Yes, strange. I've been on the Velaro D (the 374's closest relative) and many older ICE 3s and they all have that whine that quickly rises in pitch to a steady high note. I've also seen many pull away from adjacent platforms and this was noticeably louder. Perhaps the St Pancras roof amplifies it?

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I have seen a new Eurostar at Gare Du Nord recently in the afternoon and one at STP too. No one seemed to be on board though. Perhaps they were being tested.

Kentish Paul

I saw it leave around 5:40. Looks amazing, sounds loud. Unmistakable sound of a Velaro, but much louder.

I live just north of the HS1 viaduct in Ashford and hear the Eurostars passing. Recently heard a different sound which I took to be a 374. Definately different and louder.

Status
Not open for further replies.