• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar e320

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
That livery looks shocking.

Maybe vinyles will make it look a bit better? Hopefully?

TheJRB

Established Member
Looks great. I can't wait to see them over here. Speaking of which, I wonder when the first one will make it through the tunnel on test.

TGVDUDE

Don't like it, guess they've learnt the lesson of having white sets and them easily showing dirt.

DXMachina

I was surprised that they referred to it as Velaro UK (in the same way they have Desiro UK)

Clearly optimistic for further orders

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Fits with "Velaro E" for Spain, "Velaro RUS" for Russia, "Velaro D" for DB

HSTEd

Veteran Member
The UK spec will be the only one with the safety features required for the tunnel presumably.... although I don't know what they are as haven't they been relaxed recently?

Looks great. I can't wait to see them over here. Speaking of which, I wonder when the first one will make it through the tunnel on test.

Does this mean the L&CR 373 sets might become available for domestic use on our OHLE lines??

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Does this mean the L&CR 373 sets might become available for domestic use on our OHLE lines??

Nope, they are being transferred to new destinations, such as the planned run to Cologne.

Monty

Established Member
I was surprised that they referred to it as Velaro UK (in the same way they have Desiro UK)

Clearly optimistic for further orders

If they are it'll be only for our future highspeed network if and when it gets built as the Eurostar Velaro's are still built to the European loading gauge. :)

I like the livery, i think it will look good on the 373s.

As we are on the subject of Eurostar sets for domestic use, aren't the NoL sets due off lease from SNCF soon? It would be nice to have them back in the UK considering all the rolling stock shortages people keeping talking about. Could deploy these sets back on the ECML to allow 91s to go for overhaul or perhaps even to the GWML after the wires go up.

Chris125

Established Member

In a word, no - the e320 sets are to provide extra capacity and allow for new destinations, they are not replacing the existing sets which aren't terribly practical for domestic use anyway, if the operational issues that limited the use of the shorter NoL sets on the ECML are anything to go by.

Chris

DXMachina

If they are it'll be only for our future highspeed network if and when it gets built as the Eurostar Velaro's are still built to the European loading gauge. :)

Thats why I thought it odd - Limited demand for a non-classic-compatible unit in the UK, and these are no doubt solely to be seen between Ashford and St.Pancras even after HS2 opens, as they won't be fast enough for the planned linespeed?

fgwrich

Established Member
Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
Am I correct in assuming they will not receive a UK TOPS designation; e320s will (can) not run on classic lines. Will be interesting if and when DB run similar ICE trains, I hope they'll consider a direct service to Munich!

Crossforth

Established Member
Am I correct in assuming they will not receive a UK TOPS designation; e320s will (can) not run on classic lines. Will be interesting if and when DB run similar ICE trains, I hope they'll consider a direct service to Munich!

That's what I thought but what about Temple Mills?

starrymarkb

Established Member

They probably will. I'd guess that the DB units might get Class 407 (Much like the SNCF BB22xxx that worked in the Tunnel were class 22 in tops despite being electrics - keeps the numbers the same on both sides of the tunnel) but I beleive long term the systems will be upgraded to UIC compatible on the classic lines as well.

Also could they stop at Ashford which does involve a short bit of classic running?

D365

Veteran Member
That's what I thought but what about Temple Mills?

Good point.

They probably will. I'd guess that the DB units might get Class 407 (Much like the SNCF BB22xxx that worked in the Tunnel were class 22 in tops despite being electrics - keeps the numbers the same on both sides of the tunnel) but I beleive long term the systems will be upgraded to UIC compatible on the classic lines as well.

Also could they stop at Ashford which does involve a short bit of classic running?

Section 3.3.1.2 of this document:

Trains calling at Ashford International Station will have to comply with NRIL requirements, although the international platforms (3&4) have been altered to accommodate UIC GB vehicles only. The network statement published by NRIL with respect to the NR Network can be found on the NRIL website. Domestic platforms at St. Pancras International Station, Stratford International Station and Ebbsfleet International Station are at the UK standard platform height of 915mm, whereas international platforms are at the TSI (high speed) infrastructure compliant platform height of 760mm.

Although Ashford International is managed by Southeastern and owned by Network Rail, international Platforms 3&4 are at [HS1] gauge and thus European gauge Chunel trains can stop there. Please correct me if I've read it wrongly.

Eagle

Established Member
Although Ashford International is managed by Southeastern and owned by Network Rail, international Platforms 3&4 are at [HS1] gauge and thus European gauge Chunnel trains can stop there. Please correct me if I've read it wrongly.

True, but of course there are so many crossovers between all lines in the throats of Ashford.

As for the TOPS number, being as it obviously can't be 320 I'd be inclined to predict it start with an 8 (for the same reason that the Thameslink Desiros mignt get a 7xx number: this document, page 18, table A.5).

D365

Veteran Member
The document doesn't explain the reasoning for using 6xx, 7xx and 8xx in great detail, but I understand plenty more things about TOPS :D

Eagle

Established Member
The document doesn't explain the reasoning for using 6xx, 7xx and 8xx in great detail, but I understand plenty more things about TOPS :D

6xx and 7xx because 1xx, 3xx and 4xx are now getting kind of full (doesn't help that there seems to have been a recent trend of giving out numbers in multiples of five rather than strictly consecutive).

8xx because it'd kind of be useful to have HS units in their own range.

D365

Veteran Member
Would it be feasible to suggest that only "Next Generation" D/EMUs would receive 600+ TOPs classes? Thameslink/Desiro City (semi-confirmed?) will get 700 or similar, a diesel Desiro City/Aventra would theoretically receive 6xx whilst IEP, e320, HS2 stock and similar (>110mph MUs) would receive 8xx?

Numbers are many an interesting thing ;)

Established Member
That livery definitely suits the Velaro Ds a lot more than ICE livery does! Really looking forward to seeing both the Eurostar and DB Velaro Ds at St Pancras though :)

brianthegiant

With regards the DB services they have said they'll split the train 1 half will go to Amsterdam the other will go to Frankfurt.

Not sure how much demand there would be for London-Munich, might be more demand for Berlin or Hamburg. However if it stops at Brussels, Koln & Frankfurt, you can get to most stations in Germany with only 1 or 2 changes?

E* were talking about going as afar as Geneva/Marseille, but I heard a rumour on here, it's actually a 'connecting service', you'd have to change a Gare du Nord / Lille ( which you can pretty much do already).

As far as I know the new E* E320s are primarily for compatibility with German signals so they can do a Koln/amsterdam service. But there will also be a few used for London-Paris, where I suppose the distributed traction will allow better acceleration & a few headline non-stop London-Paris faster services.

I dont care about the paint job outside, main selling point for me is that the 2nd class seating is pretty much equivalent to UK 1st class...

starrymarkb

Established Member
Problem: lack of suitable lines beyond Cologne and Frankfurt, due to German standard OHLE being the wrong voltage and frequency (15 kV and 16⅔ Hz rather than 25 kV and 50 Hz).

I thought they were going to have 15kV as well as 1500V for southern France and NL

dosxuk

Established Member
The front end with the coupler deployed reminds me of an angry goldfish...

Status
Not open for further replies.