• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar Food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Right I'm due to be booked into Standard Premier for this October. The website says that before 11am you are served "breakfast pastries, yoghurt, juice and tea or coffee to get your day off to a fresh start." and after 11am " choice of two main dishes and dessert with soft drinks, wine or beer, plus tea or coffee."

The thing is the train I am supposed to be getting leaves St. Pancras at 10.58, so which one will I get?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cle

Established Member
No idea actually, as it will be long past 11 once you're actually served.

Interested to find out. Sorry not to have any info - their customer services email is pretty quick though.

coupwotcoup

The last time I did first class on E* was back in 2004 for a long weekend in Brussels.

Had the main meal going out and brekkers coming back. Food was surprisingly excellent and with as much wine as one could consume, me and the missus were ***** faced by the time we reached Belgium!

Not sure if that is still the deal these days though...

Bungle73

On Moderation
It changed a while ago, when the name was changed to "Standard Premier", and from what I've heard the food isn't as good.

Squaddie

The food in Standard premier these days is little better than an economy class airline meal, served in a tinfoil container on a little plastic tray and generally pretty unappetising. Breakfast is a bit better than lunch, but on a 10:58 departure you'll almost certainly be served lunch.

The coffee is dreadful too, so get one at Caffe Nero before you board the train.

Last edited:

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Much worse than it used to be - and generally a cold offering - fill up on bread and wine !

Their garlic laden Gascon fish pie was superb back in the day - sadly missed - got 2 on one journey by asking nicely.

coupwotcoup

The fish pie rings a bell...also the salmon/prawns and scrambled egg for breakfast...mmmmm, plus a glass of shampoo thrown in for good measure.

skindavid

The last time I did first class on E* was back in 2004 for a long weekend in Brussels.

Had the main meal going out and brekkers coming back. Food was surprisingly excellent and with as much wine as one could consume, me and the missus were ***** faced by the time we reached Belgium!

Not sure if that is still the deal these days though...

Best way to see Belgium!!! LOL (and I live here)!

coupwotcoup

I'm so honoured that your third post in nearly four years was just for me...:D

Only done Brussels and Bruges (returning to latter for fag run in a fortnight) and both were okay.

skindavid

I'm so honoured that your third post in nearly four years was just for me...:D

Only done Brussels and Bruges (returning to latter for fag run in a fortnight) and both were okay.

:) I'm gonna start posting more after lurking here for a while :)
You really should try visiting Antwerp- Brussels pales into insignificance! (and our Centraal Station is amazing)!!!

coupwotcoup

Would love to but so busy and struggling to get even a minor break. Bruges all booked for next Saturday though and the forecast looks good too.

£39 return by coach and Euro Tunnel. Would normally use E* but this picks up almost outside my gaffe.

davetheguard

Established Member
It changed a while ago, when the name was changed to "Standard Premier", and from what I've heard the food isn't as good.

No, it definitely isn't I'm afraid. Before the launch of "Standard Premier" there were hot face towels, and a glass of champagne; and all often before you pulled out of the platform! The food is now less impressive than before too; in fact the whole "offer" is simply less special than previously.

Frankly, as a result, we don't bother with it anymore and just go Second Class - we get some great picnic food at St. Pancras or at the covered market near Gare du Nord and eat that on the train with a bottle of wine - as long as we haven't forgotten to pack the corkscrew!

However, travelling by Eurostar is still the best way to go; if only they'd stop trying to act like an airline, it would be even better. Being served food & drink at your seat on a moving train is still a pleasant experience; I'm sure you'll enjoy the trip.

Not done attachments on this site before but this will hopefully show you the last three meals we had in Standard Premier (within the last two years)

Attachments

• 04-040213-Eurostar.jpg
    04-040213-Eurostar.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 194
  • DSCF4200.jpg
    DSCF4200.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 181
  • 02 Eurostar 180412.jpg
    02 Eurostar 180412.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 177

SS4

Established Member
Apologies for hijacking the thread but does anyone have experiences with breakfast? I'm off to Brussels in October albeit on the 0858 so well within the breakfast parameter

edit: that food looks nice enough although a bit hit and miss.

Last edited:

Bungle73

On Moderation
Not done attachments on this site before but this will hopefully show you the last three meals we had in Standard Premier (within the last two years)

Thanks. It doesn't look too bad.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Slightly off topic but as an aside, I was really disappointed with the offering in standard last week from Paris-London. Because most of the products are provided by Waitrose, they are loaded onto the train in London. This meant that by the time the set left Paris on the return leg, all but one of the (nice looking, comprehensively marketed) cakes were sold out. Disappointing that they don't keep some back for the second journey really.

Squaddie

Can anyone advise what eurostar would be like if i took a couple of crates on the train with me? (not for consumption aboard eurostar)
From the Eurostar website:
If you’ve got an adult ticket, you can take a maximum of 2 bags with you on the train. That’s as long as each item is no bigger than 85cm at its longest length. You can also take one small item of hand luggage.

At Eurostar, we don’t have weight restrictions for your baggage like airlines do. However, you’ll need to be able to carry your bags onto the train by yourself and put them in the luggage racks, so make sure they’re not too heavy.

If you’d like to take more than the standard baggage allowance with you, or heavy or oversized items, you can. Read up about our registered baggage options to find out more.
So, as long as you can carry the crates onto the train yourself and have no other luggage you should have no problems.

However:
We reserve the right in our Conditions of Carriage to confiscate and destroy excessive quantities of alcohol being carried by our passengers.

So, if you've got more than five units of alcohol on your person, we may confiscate some or all of the alcoholic drinks in question.
The intention here, of course, is to prevent drunkenness on board the train, whereas you would be carrying alcohol for consumption later.

callum112233

Them chicken breasts on the first picture on the middle plate look rank :|

Squaddie

Right so closed crates i should be ok with but open probably not? i'm on a morning train anyway so i don't think they'd expect me to drink them on the train. i may pop down to st pancras the night before see what they say?
Why not just call Eurostar to see what they say?

Why would you be taking beer to France, where it's generally so much cheaper? I assumed you'd be bringing beer back from France to the UK. :D

duncanp

Established Member
On the 10:58 departure you will get breakfast.

This was the case when I took this train last year, but I guess it may have changed since then.

Wigan,United Kingdon and Kingswood Nsw, Australia
i got refused carriage of my cider aboard eurostar on thursday morning luckily i had my email with me the guy said im allowed to take 5 units of alcohol aboard the train his mate said no 2 cans i said no thats not good enough i showed him the email from eurostar he rang his boss he said your only allowed 24 cans of alcohol on a eurostar thats based on 12 each between me and my dad they then offered to take my extra cans onboard for a £18 fee i said no thats not what the email said. they said will you consume any onboard i said no im not a drunk (service left london around 8am) they said you can take all free of charge aslong as you consume less than 4 cans each all cider was carried to france and none was consumed aboard eurostar but there where a large percentage drinking lager in one carriage.

rmt4ever

i got refused carriage of my cider aboard eurostar on thursday morning luckily i had my email with me the guy said im allowed to take 5 units of alcohol aboard the train his mate said no 2 cans i said no thats not good enough i showed him the email from eurostar he rang his boss he said your only allowed 24 cans of alcohol on a eurostar thats based on 12 each between me and my dad they then offered to take my extra cans onboard for a £18 fee i said no thats not what the email said. they said will you consume any onboard i said no im not a drunk (service left london around 8am) they said you can take all free of charge aslong as you consume less than 4 cans each all cider was carried to france and none was consumed aboard eurostar but there where a large percentage drinking lager in one carriage.

Fussy ****$ .. What is wrong with these jobsworths ? You could have just put a plain brown bag over them, or put them in a suitcase and nobody would have been any the wiser!!!!

That said, it's a bit bloody extreme carting crates of English booze over to France, I mean it's not like they don't sell any drink there.

I love a pint of pride, but didn't take two cases when I went on my jollies to Spain I just drank the local beer.

Reminds me of my old gran going to mallorca and taking the toaster and a loaf of Hovis with her, because that foreign food is funny !

Last edited by a moderator:

telstarbox

Established Member
Reminds me of my old gran going to mallorca and taking the toaster and a loaf of Hovis with her, because that foreign food is funny !

It certainly is - on a recent trip to Portugal the local supermarket had West Country cheddar, Digestive biscuits and plenty of other British items!

Aldaniti

On the other side of the coin, I think its rather refreshing to see Eurostar take a serious approach to the potential problems that alcohol can cause on board public transport.

rmt4ever

On the other side of the coin, I think its rather refreshing to see Eurostar take a serious approach to the potential problems that alcohol can cause on board public transport.

Yawn.... Imagine anyone enjoying themselves...

Me and my friend recently joined an early morning Eurostar half first class (whatever its called) thing.... I only got the half first class because I get half price tickets.

I knew it would be totally crap so we went to Simpley food at St Pan for breakfast supplies, couple bottles of that pre-mixed 75cl Bucks Fizz, and 4 of the cans of pre mixed vodka orange things....

I would have been amazed had they tried to confiscate it! Who doesn't like a few bevvies on the train when they are going on their hols... and in the days when we used to get a decent amount of rub-a-dub and plenty of Tom Cruise as thanks for paying the premium, we wudnt have needed to stock up like this !!! Nanny state or what....

Julian W

And although Waitrose provide the food in Standard class now it's still pretty awful and over priced...

Status
Not open for further replies.