• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar International Train Driver 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wilko5816

Hi there, was just wondering what the current benefits are for Eurostar Drivers? Do they receive a Priv for 75% off other TOC’s? Quite a big perk to loose.

S-Car-Go

Hi there, was just wondering what the current benefits are for Eurostar Drivers? Do they receive a Priv for 75% off other TOC’s? Quite a big perk to loose.
Eurostar employees are entitled to a PRIV card (leisure travel only, also with leisure PRIV Oyster card) and an international FIP card for 50% reduction on the continent (also gives BR-protected/internal staff FIP rates on Eurostar). You also get a limited amount of free travel on Eurostar which increases with length of service.

There is also provision for commuting to work. With a national rail TOC, there's a subsidy of up to £1300ish off a season ticket (this doesn't tend to benefit the shift workers, useful for 9-5 HQ office workers). There is also a staff Oyster PTAC card so commuting within the London area is cheap.

Commuting on Eurostar isn't really possible and there's no agreement with other TOCs. Hence commuting from outside London is more expensive, but the salaries are generally higher than other operators.

Wilko5816

Eurostar employees are entitled to a PRIV card (leisure travel only, also with leisure PRIV Oyster card) and an international FIP card for 50% reduction on the continent (also gives BR-protected/internal staff FIP rates on Eurostar). You also get a limited amount of free travel on Eurostar which increases with length of service.

There is also provision for commuting to work. With a national rail TOC, there's a subsidy of up to £1300ish off a season ticket (this doesn't tend to benefit the shift workers, useful for 9-5 HQ office workers). There is also a staff Oyster PTAC card so commuting within the London area is cheap.

Commuting on Eurostar isn't really possible and there's no agreement with other TOCs. Hence commuting from outside London is more expensive, but the salaries are generally higher than other operators.
Cheers mate, this is very helpful and makes the role much more appealing

TTDARL

Advert states ‘significant train driving experience.’ Previous adverts have stated a minimum number of years mainline driving experience. Anyone know what kind of time frame of driving experience is likely to be accepted?

whoosh

Established Member
Eurostar have recently agreed a 'Driver Retention Package' with ASLEF, but I don't know what this consists of.

Anyone in the know?

S-Car-Go

Cheers mate, this is very helpful and makes the role much more appealing
No worries. Linky here for ASLEF's bits'n'bobs. https://www.aslef.org.uk/article.php?group_id=3336

1 driver I spoke to says he preferred driving on the WCML as it was a more interesting route (diversions etc.), and the high speed lines are all on cab signalling & cruise control. The high salary is for doing the job in both English & French and knowing all rulebooks for UK, HS1, France, Belgium, and Eurotunnel (no surprises the UK rulebook is the thickest of the lot!).
I'm station staff but soon about to leave E* to start driver training with another TOC. So if I don't see you, good luck & bon voyage with your European journey!

S-Car-Go

Advert states ‘significant train driving experience.’ Previous adverts have stated a minimum number of years mainline driving experience. Anyone know what kind of time frame of driving experience is likely to be accepted?
Used to be 5 for many years. I believe they require 3 now. They're looking for a clean record/licence.

bionic

Eurostar has never appealed to me for a number of reasons... the mundane concrete lined new tracks, the in-cab signalling, the long tunnel, the central London location, and (mainly) because I couldn't be arsed with the language thing. Having said all of that, I've only heard good things about what its like to drive for them. Good luck to everyone putting in for it.

Starlight_Exp

The advert says that you will need to be able to attain a good level of French and that there will be an intensive 7 months of language trainin.

In the recruitment process section it states that there will be a language assessment.

My aim is to become a Eurostar driver however I have currently only 2.5 years of experience since passing out. I have recently started to learn French in preparation for when I meet the required lenght of driving experience but wondered if anyone knew just how much French you need to be able to speak in order to meet their expectations for new applicants?

bionic

The advert says that you will need to be able to attain a good level of French and that there will be an intensive 7 months of language trainin.

In the recruitment process section it states that there will be a language assessment.

My aim is to become a Eurostar driver however I have currently only 2.5 years of experience since passing out. I have recently started to learn French in preparation for when I meet the required lenght of driving experience but wondered if anyone knew just how much French you need to be able to speak in order to meet their expectations for new applicants?

Put an application in and put down that you are already learning French. If they knock you back for lack of experience it won't have cost you anything but a few hours doing the app.

It's a lot of pressure though, fail the French exam at the end of seven months and you are up the road. Most drivers I know struggle with English! :D

S-Car-Go

In the recruitment process section it states that there will be a language assessment...
...wondered if anyone knew just how much French you need to be able to speak in order to meet their expectations for new applicants?
They will take applicants who show an ability/willingness to learn a new language. The language assessment is to see what level you're at. If you're a novice, the course is 7 months but could be reduced if you're already at a decent level of French.

Starlight_Exp

:lol::lol::lol:

Two very good points! I dont think they'd take me on with under 3 years experience as it is and I was expecting to build up 5 years in the first place but the fact they haven't specified a number of years required got me wondering.

You're right though, nothing to lose. If I am under qualified I'll revert back to my original plan. Will give me more time to work on my French vocabulary.... and my English!

S-Car-Go

There is a legendary story among E* drivers which concerns french vocabulary...
Once upon a time, a E* driver unfortunately hit a deer wandering across the track in France. He radios the signaller to explain the situation but doesn't know the word for deer. So he improvises and describes the animal as "a cow with 2 pantographs" :lol: So as long as your communication can make yourself understood, you should be fine.

flash

What is the rest day pattern on Eurostar?
Average 4 day week (over the roster), 4 or 5 days at work, 3 or 4 days off (sometimes 5), currently working 50% of weekends. Earliest start 05:01, latest finish 23:29, Nights. Any start before 06:30 Mon to Sat & 08:00 Sun the company offer a room in a hotel - not taxable.

Holt0121

Hi,

Does anyone know what the night work is like? And rough start and finish time?

Cheers

Bucephalus

There is a legendary story among E* drivers which concerns french vocabulary...
Once upon a time, a E* driver unfortunately hit a deer wandering across the track in France. He radios the signaller to explain the situation but doesn't know the word for deer. So he improvises and describes the animal as "a cow with 2 pantographs" :lol: So as long as your communication can make yourself understood, you should be fine.

The cow with two pantographs sounds like a great name for a railwayside steak pub

hiall

Would be a great job but too expensive to buy a home down there unfortunately

S-Car-Go

Current E* standard wage on ASLEF's website is 69k. With agreed increases to about 74k over the next couple of years.

The cow with two pantographs sounds like a great name for a railwayside steak pub

Maybe a UK steak pub eh? Never quite got into French steaks as they are done so rare they tend to go moo when you prod them with a fork.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Current E* standard wage on ASLEF's website is 69k. With agreed increases to about 74k over the next couple of years.

Maybe a UK steak pub eh? Never quite got into French steaks as they are done so rare they tend to go moo when you prod them with a fork.
The core part of training is not French language lessons or four separate rule books, it’s gaining an appreciation of steak tartare, escargots, moules frites and café au lait. One has to pass the PNB in Paris somehow. Rumours that if you become a traction inspector you get to eat foie gras and ortolan bunting are neither confirmed nor denied

Status
Not open for further replies.