• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar London - Amsterdam suspended until 2028? Is this just clickbait?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DanielB

The main problem is that the expansion of Amsterdam Zuid, to enable transfer of the international services to that station, is delayed quite a lot.
That's why effort is made to find an alternative at Amsterdam Centraal.

Trainbike46

Established Member
The main problem is that the expansion of Amsterdam Zuid, to enable transfer of the international services to that station, is delayed quite a lot.
That's why effort is made to find an alternative at Amsterdam Centraal.
do you think there is any chance it will stay at Centraal long-term? If the Amstelpassage doesn't open as eurostar terminal until 2027 it's clearly not moving to zuid anytime soon, but if it fits at centraal, why would you move it at all?

AlexNL

Established Member
In my opinion the plan to move all international trains to Amsterdam Zuid is just wrong, and I hope the long term move of Eurostar also leads to other international trains remaining at Centraal.

Moving international trains from Centraal to Zuid, is like moving Eurostar from St. Pancras to Canary Wharf. It may be a boon to business travellers, but for tourists the first impression will be a downgrade.

Bemined

It's not only about keeping platform 15 and the facilities, they also have to find room in the timetable between Amsterdam Centraal and Schiphol. For the 2030 concept timetable paths have been reserved for the Eurostar, but in the further future they want to extend the intercity service from Amsterdam to Alkmaar runs over the same tracks for the first kilometre.

paul1609

Established Member
In my opinion the plan to move all international trains to Amsterdam Zuid is just wrong, and I hope the long term move of Eurostar also leads to other international trains remaining at Centraal.

Moving international trains from Centraal to Zuid, is like moving Eurostar from St. Pancras to Canary Wharf. It may be a boon to business travellers, but for tourists the first impression will be a downgrade.
Or like moving Eurostar in London from Waterloo to the northern suburbs (St Pancras)

cle

Established Member

I agree. Zuid is all well and good, but Centraal is the main draw. And a symbolic entrance.

There are also tons of businesses and hotels (people go to accommodation before offices, often - or straight to 'hospitality') - all within walking distance. Certainly, Zuid wouldn't be as helpful for my AMS office or many of my clients there.

It's a big big place these days, with activity in every direction. Just as there is no perfect solution for London or Paris - and the SWT/SE people grumbled when the MML/ECML people cheered, when St P opened.

The new blue metro line negates the hike down to Zuid being an effort too, it's great.

Status
Not open for further replies.