• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar new e320/e300 class

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaapstam

Hello everybody,

does anyone know how many trainsets of Eurostar's new e320 class are already in operation?

I am also interested in an update about how many refurbished class e300 are already in service. Does anybody have an information about this?

Kind regards
Jaap

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

davetheguard

Established Member
Hello everybody,

does anyone know how many trainsets of Eurostar's new e320 class are already in operation?

I am also interested in an update about how many refurbished class e300 are already in service. Does anybody have an information about this?

Kind regards
Jaap

I got the impression from things I've read at this forum that there's only one diagram covered by each ("new" and "refurbished") in service at any one time, but whether it's always the same set or not I don't know. In any case, presumably it will quickly change as more sets become available.

Someone else here will know much more than me......

AlexNL

Established Member
The e320 sets are currently authorised for London - Paris working, as the sets have not yet been homologated for Belgium.

flash

1 refurbished set - which runs as and when
1 set diagram for the 374's which is 1 return trip Saturday and 2 returns the rest of the week. As to how many 374's are commissioned - that would be another question.

jaapstam

Thank you very much to all of you for your helpful replies.

I am still looking forward to "the latest update" from Phil's lunch on Tuesday.

Have a great week everybody!

user15681

Established Member
Don't know a full list, but for E320s I've personally been on 4007/08 and 4017/18 in passenger service.

AlexNL

Established Member
have they been on Paris or Brussels services?

That can only be for Paris services as the e320 sets have not been certified for use in Belgium yet, as per my previous post.

Phil.

Established Member
Thank you very much to all of you for your helpful replies.

I am still looking forward to "the latest update" from Phil's lunch on Tuesday.

Have a great week everybody!

I was quoted that there are five in service, one of which is on permanent driver training duties.

jaapstam

I was quoted that there are five in service, one of which is on permanent driver training duties.

Thank you very much Phil. Five resp. four is more than I expected. Do you know whether the information is correct that they are only in service between London and Paris?

Phil.

Established Member
Thank you very much Phil. Five resp. four is more than I expected. Do you know whether the information is correct that they are only in service between London and Paris?

Yes, they are currently S.N.C.B. barred.

Phil.

Established Member
Thank you! So I can only hope for a refurbished unit for my trip in a few weeks - via Brussels :)

Having seen and walked through both I can assure you that a refurbished 373 is a much nicer proposition than a 374. I found it astonishing that even in first class the seats aren't aligned with the windows.

jaapstam

Having seen and walked through both I can assure you that a refurbished 373 is a much nicer proposition than a 374. I found it astonishing that even in first class the seats aren't aligned with the windows.

Ooops, good to know. Anyway, I will take whatever unit is in service - what else :)

Any information available how many refurbished trainsets are already operating? I heard of only one?

stut

Established Member
Don't know how many are operating, but my two journeys this weekend (QQS-XPG Sat AM out, Sun PM back) were both on refurbished sets, with the seatmap changed after booking the ticket (the outbound seemingly at the last minute, as a number of people were unhappy with their new seat configuration).

Mixed feelings about the refurb (was in SP). Very low-key and high quality finish. The immovable, moulded headrest is annoying if you're tall (which I am) as is the too-low tray table. But the whole train felt new and refreshed.

ItchyRsole

I don't think the refurbished 373 (E300) has gone to Brussels yet. I'm sure that's a Paris only set as it stands.

33Hz

I've seen it in Brussels.

Are the E320s on fixed diagrams? What do I need to book to get on it?

anme

Established Member

That's also true in an unrefurbished 373. Are the first class seats now aligned in the refurbished 373s?

Last edited:

Phil.

Established Member
That's also true in an unrefurbished 373. Are the first class seats now aligned in the refurbished 373s?

Didn't notice to tell the truth. But I really was disappointed that for all the money that the 374s are costing and for all the hype about them the seats in first class couldn't be aligned with the windows resulting in people who've paid for a premium product staring at a wall. I was offered and shown a reason but I'm not prepared to divulge the reason on a publicly available forum.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Is the reason a matter of national security or something? Surely at some point Eurostar will be asked the question in public and give the answer?

anme

Established Member
Didn't notice to tell the truth. But I really was disappointed that for all the money that the 374s are costing and for all the hype about them the seats in first class couldn't be aligned with the windows resulting in people who've paid for a premium product staring at a wall. I was offered and shown a reason but I'm not prepared to divulge the reason on a publicly available forum.

So as the first class seats are not aligned with the windows on either a 373 or a 374, could you elaborate on why a refurbished 373 is a much nicer proposition than a 374?

radamfi

Established Member
Is the reason a matter of national security or something? Surely at some point Eurostar will be asked the question in public and give the answer?

Probably simply that you can get more seats in the coach if you don't align with the windows. The sad fact is that a lot of people don't care about the view. Look at the people that get on an empty Pendolino carriage and sit at a seat with no view. I'd rather stand at a window than sit there.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I spend most journeys on my phone or tablet so wouldn't be that bothered. I'm on a GWR HST right now and having walked through six coaches to the cafe bar earlier, most people were on some sort of device.

I don't think everyone is that I bothered.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I was offered and shown a reason but I'm not prepared to divulge the reason on a publicly available forum.

I can't see it being anything other than this: £€

There is certainly no safety reason for it, as there exist high-speed trains with seats better aligned to windows.

I can accept it in Standard to an extent, as Standard is designed down to a price. First Class is supposed to be a premium, quality product, and to me, full window alignment is an essential part of that.

AM9

Veteran Member
Probably simply that you can get more seats in the coach if you don't align with the windows. The sad fact is that a lot of people don't care about the view.

If a lot of people did, it would mean that there were less window seats available.

Aligned seats by design went out with the MKII LHCS so that the bodyshells could be common. It's one thing shuffling the furniture around to make best use of the space. Changing a type approved body shell just to improve the view for some of the passengers, would be a sheer waste of money.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Aligned seats by design went out with the MKII LHCS so that the bodyshells could be common. It's one thing shuffling the furniture around to make best use of the space. Changing a type approved body shell just to improve the view for some of the passengers, would be a sheer waste of money.

I do see that point, but was the Mk3 model not that the standard bodyshell was designed for a First Class layout, so at least seats could align in one of the two classes? Designing it so it fits neither is just sloppy.

Phil.

Established Member
So as the first class seats are not aligned with the windows on either a 373 or a 374, could you elaborate on why a refurbished 373 is a much nicer proposition than a 374?

The atmosphere is just nicer. The 373 interior is still solid looking but the 374 looks flimsy. Plastic coat hook, plastic bendy foot rests, that sort of thing. The buffet in a 374 is half buffet half seating like on the East Coast electrics. The thing is, there is an automatic sliding door between the two sections so anyone sitting adjacent is subjected to the door sliding back and forth whilst people traipse to the buffet. You might think that it's the same on the ECML stock with people traipsing back and forth but believe me when there's a continuously opening and closing door involved it makes all the difference. There's also more luggage storage area in a 373. Without the storage areas in coaches 9&10 on the 373 it's going to be interesting to see how large groups are dealt with that currently tend to get all of their luggage put in the aforesaid space.

Status
Not open for further replies.