• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar not stopping at Ashford

Status
Not open for further replies.

flash

I believe that Eurostar drivers do not have much route knowledge in depth as a mainline driver does. But need to know multiple rule books.
As the computer highlights the speed he/she should go at all times.

You may well be right whilst on a cab signaled line, Ashford being a colour light signaled line our route knowledge is exactly the same as any other driver. In this case the problem at Ashford concerns the separation between 25kv AC areas and 750v DC areas, the resulting potential differences short circuit through a electronics card on the E320 - this 'fried' card is used for SNCF classic line signalling. The consequence of this unexpected problem is that E320's are not being diagrammed to call at Ashford - with stops being cancelled accordingly. In an emergency the units can still stop.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlexNL

Established Member
I don't think Flemish is needed, the route from the French border to Halle will be controlled by Wallonian signal boxes. The line mostly runs through the French speaking part of Belgium.

As far as I'm aware, a different driver takes over in Brussels for the direct Eurostars to Amsterdam.

alex397

Established Member
The units I had today on my return trip from Ashford to Paris were both unrefurbished Class 373 units . This being 3215 on ES9002 and 3223 on ES9055.

I was surprised to see unrefurbished 373 units still in service (I have not been following the main Eurostar thread so forgive my ignorance if there is info about that). It was great to have a ride on them, as it is likely to be my last ride on them. I wonder how long it will be until those particular units will be scrapped. They seemed to be running smoothly and relatively quietly. Whilst I quite like the classic interior, it was looking very tired and worn. It was also really noticeable that they had no plugs or WiFi, after getting used to the newer units.

At Paris Nord, I managed to see all current working types all lined up together - the classic Eurostar, the refurbished E300 and the new E320.

I have a trip from Ashford to Brussels booked for a months time which is scheduled for a E320 - will be interesting to see if the problem is fixed by then, or if I end up with a classic or refurbished E300.

MarcVD

I don't think Flemish is needed, the route from the French border to Halle will be controlled by Wallonian signal boxes. The line mostly runs through the French speaking part of Belgium.

The whole line is under control of a single signalling centre located in Brussels.

alex397

Established Member
At Ashford Intl today at 12.00, an E320 (4018 to be precise) arrived from the London direction.

Seeing as there is no Eurostar due at this time, the destination displays just said 'EUROSTAR', there were seemingly no passengers and the cab had staff with hi-viz, I assume this was here to test whatever updates they have made to sort out the Ashford issue.

It was still at the platform when the local train I was on departed at 12.05.

alex397

Established Member
I had a weekend trip to Brussels from Ashford this weekend. On Saturday 19th (ES9110), it was a refurbished 373 (3212). I think the refurb is excellent, both inside and out - its great that some will still survive and have given a new lease of life.

Today (Sun 20th), it was due to be a 374 (on ES9149) , and therefore not stopping at Ashford and so expected to get off at Ebbsfleet (for those who don't know, Eurostar cover the costs of travelling back to Ashford on the Southeastern 'Javelins', apparently by giving a special stamp on the ticket). However, when checking in, we were given new seats, and were informed that it was a different train. To my surprise, it was un-refurbished 3214, and it did stop at Ashford, which was a great relief to me. Great to have another ride on the un-refurbished 373s - the interior was tired though, and there were quite a few corrosion holes in the exterior bodywork!

Status
Not open for further replies.