• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

elementalpat

Apparently, there are big delays on this route. NR just reports there is some sort of incident on a Thalys train.

There is a French info link provided by NR, but my French ability is near zero! tried Google translate but that proved to be near useless.

Translation:

Traffic problems on the High Speed ​​Line North ...

Following the failure of a Thalys attic, near TGV Haute-Picardie, traffic was completely stopped in this area at 9:15. It gradually takes on a track since noon.

Some trains take a different route via the classic line to bypass the area of the incident.

- Delays to 40 minutes between 2:40 must be provided for all TGV and Thalys trains traveling in this area.

Finally, note that major delays are expected due to reuse of trains delayed by the incident.

To find out if your train is concerned, click here and enter its number.

I am guessing the 'Thalys attic' is the pantograph

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dvboy

Established Member
Was fine travelling from Lille-St Pancras this morning, though I woke up to a lot of snow and it was still snowing when I left Lille at 1134cet

I did however notice a TGV to Calais "retard 1h00" on the board.

tsr

Established Member
Basically, a Thalys train's crew apparently reported a possible fire on board some time before 0835hrs near Combles, with a diversion for other trains onto slower lines, since a major fire service response was initiated. There were further technical problems through Calais due to at least one Eurostar train reported as having a technical problem (possibly due to a blizzard taking place).

I am told that customers should speak to station staff to arrange for their tickets to be valid if they miss their connections.

Oscar

Fares Advisor
Latest update from Infolignes:
Difficultés de circulation sur la Ligne à Grande Vitesse Nord
La circulation a été totalement interrompue dans ce secteur de 9h15 à 15h20 à la suite de la panne d'un Thalys près de TGV Haute-Picardie. Elle est à nouveau perturbée depuis 16h en raison d'un problème d'alimentation électrique entre Lille et Arras.
-Des retards compris entre 30mn et 2h sont à prévoir pour une vingtaine de TGV et Thalys.
Notez que certains trains empruntent un autre itinéraire afin de contourner l'incident.
Afin de savoir si votre train est concerné, cliquez ici et indiquez son numéro.
Rough translation:
Disruption on the LGV Nord
Rail services were completely halted on this line from 09.15 until 15.20 after a Thalys broke down near TGV Haute-Picardie. The line has been disrupted again since 16.00 because of overhead catenary problems between Lille and Arras.
Delays of between 30 minutes and 2 hours are to be expected for 20 TGV and Thalys trains.
Please note that certain trains are following an alternative route to avoid this.
To find out if your train is affected, click here and type in its number.

MCR247

Established Member
Delays...in France?!?!

But I thought there was never delays anywhere except the UK because the rail system in every other country had a miles better train system?!

MCR247

Established Member
And DON'T somewhere dare say that some of the delays are due to snow, my head just might explode..!

:P

WestCoast

Established Member
Delays...in France?!?!

But I thought there was never delays anywhere except the UK because the rail system in every other country had a miles better train system?!

Everywhere has delays, it's completely inevitable. However, if you asked me would I rather be stuck on a TGV Duplex or a Voyager then that's a different story.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Europe has plenty of problems - recent journeys on DB have included a loco failure on departure from Hamburg (80 late) - an Utrecht to Berlin train with no 1st class , buffet car or air con , a journey (same trip) from Berlin to Poznan which due to pathetic regulating at the iconic Berlin HBF (track and station roof in trouble due to rushed implementation for World Cup some years ago) - missed every connection going in Poland. The S-Bahn in Berlin running on limited timetables due to serious stock problems.

It aint always better over there....ever used the Paris RER in the suburbs at night - would rather travel Sth London metro anytime for feeling safe and secure.

Mike C

Pantograph in French is (wait for it..) le pantograph.

The problem is ongoing. It will impact on tomorrows services.

WestCoast

Established Member
Europe has plenty of problems - recent journeys on DB have included a loco failure on departure from Hamburg (80 late) - an Utrecht to Berlin train with no 1st class , buffet car or air con , a journey (same trip) from Berlin to Poznan which due to pathetic regulating at the iconic Berlin HBF (track and station roof in trouble due to rushed implementation for World Cup some years ago) - missed every connection going in Poland. The S-Bahn in Berlin running on limited timetables due to serious stock problems. .

To be fair, I don't think anyone said that Europe doesn't have various problems, I've experienced many myself.

However, the one everyone harps on about is Japan for being so punctual and perfect! No idea what the reality there is.

tsr

Established Member
To be fair, I don't think anyone said that Europe doesn't have various problems, I've experienced many myself.

However, the one everyone harps on about is Japan for being so punctual and perfect! No idea what the reality there is.

What about the Swiss railways? Rumour has it that they are not quite as bad as the rest of Europe! ;)

Talking of the Eurostar, though... delays until midday tomorrow (at least) are apparently expected. More details from NRE:

Incident created:

05/03/2012 10:37

Route affected:

London St Pancras International, Ebbsfleet International, Ashford International and Paris Nord

Train operator affected:

Eurostar

Description:

Eurostar services between London St Pancras International and Paris Nord are being delayed by overhead wire problems.

Because of this, there are delays of up to 60 minutes between London St Pancras International and Paris Nord. Disruption to services is expected to continue until midday on Tuesday 6 March.

Services between London St Pancras, Lille Europe and Brussel Zuid / Bruxelles Midi are not affected by this.

Changes to services on Tuesday 6 March:

Some early morning services have been cancelled. Full details of these and the alternative services passengers can use are here.

I think that's English for "oops"!

WestCoast

Established Member
What about the Swiss railways? Rumour has it that they are not quite as bad as the rest of Europe! ;)

Talking of the Eurostar, though... delays until midday tomorrow (at least) are apparently expected. More details from NRE:

I think that's English for "oops"!

...and we've never seen overhead line problems on the ECML, have we? :lol:

It's not a big deal, disruption happens everywhere (including Switzerland), apart from Japan I am told.:roll:

dvboy

Established Member
Glad I was on an earlier train now. Report on BBC website seems to contradict NRE info about Lille/Brussels trains not being affected.

amcluesent

Thousands of Eurostar passengers including catwalk models today told of their ‘hellish’ journeys after a faulty with an overhead power cable delayed services by up to 11 hours.

Those travelling between London and Paris were worst hit, with some stranded in the Channel Tunnel without food or light.

Others said they arrived in the French capital at 1am with no hotel room, but the only accommodation made available to them was in a stationary train.

Incredible, what happened to the diesel units that are supposed to pull trains out the tunnel?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
...and we've never seen overhead line problems on the ECML, have we? :lol:

It's not a big deal, disruption happens everywhere (including Switzerland), apart from Japan I am told.:roll:

Quiz question, which railway runs the highest proportion of trains on time, i.e. up to 59 seconds late. JR Eastern (as featured and lauded on Top Gear a few years back), or LOROL?

tsr

Established Member
Incredible, what happened to the diesel units that are supposed to pull trains out the tunnel?

It's an interesting question. I strongly recommend you read the report from when those Eurostar trains got stuck a couple of years ago in the tunnels due to snow getting stuck in the trains' vents. I would put the link here, but it's a while since I last used it, and therefore I don't have it to hand. One of the problems - reading between the lines only a very little bit - was that it was harder than expected, for various reasons, to get the Thunderbirds through. The problems were compounded by trains failing (more than once, IIRC) when they tried to make them tow each other out of the tunnels.

If the diesel locos could actually have been any use in the event of the more recent delays, then I don't believe they can have taken many measures to prevent similar issues, otherwise these repeated delays wouldn't have occurred.

Obviously, these locos may not have been much use because it was actually a problem with an OHLE cable falling onto the track, due to heavy snow, therefore blocking the line. Also, the (suspected) fire on the Thalys train earlier in the day resulted in the LGV being blocked for the emergency response.

And Claudia Schiffer was picked up by car from the mouth of the tunnel!!. What makes her more important than everyone else?.

Im guessing the problems effected other services in France and not just Eurostar.

Status
Not open for further replies.