• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar seat changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Got bumped from a table to backwards facing airline seats both ways. Is this normal? Why does this go on and why is there a seat selector if it isn’t respected? I do not believe there was a stock change.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Got bumped from a table to backwards facing airline seats both ways. Is this normal? Why does this go on and why is there a seat selector if it isn’t respected? I do not believe there was a stock change.

This is what the E* website states:

Can I choose my seat?

If you book at eurostar.com or by calling us, you can choose a seat when you book, or log in to Manage a booking later on to change where you’re sitting, subject to availability.

Don’t forget to re-print your tickets or save the new ones on your phone if you change seats.

https://help.eurostar.com/faq/uk-en/question/Can-I-choose-my-seat

Nothing there that indicates that they reserve the right to change it.

Adlington

Conditions of carriage:
6.2 We will endeavour to honour the advance seating request shown on your ticket, however we cannot guarantee that you will be able to sit in any particular seat. We reserve the right to change your seat at any time, even after you have boarded the train

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I know they *can* do it, it just seems odd to have got it twice.

I Tweeted the guard (some of the guards actually tweet live) and he moved us to another pair of free table seats and gave us free drink vouchers which was pretty decent. He couldn't understand why it had happened.

Very strange. Is there some feature, for example, that allows frequent traveller members to bump people from their favourite seats? Or does the Schengen "portion" vary in size, a bit like if you book economy seats in low-numbered rows on legacy airline flights you're quite likely to lose them as the curtain moves based on business class demand?

An interesting observation on the side - the French staff I encountered were properly moody and seem to think passengers are nothing but trouble (the buffet steward snatched the vouchers off us with a real feeling of Gallic disdain, the one on the way out was similarly abrupt and rude) whereas the English guard was excellent, seeming proud of his train and nothing being too much trouble.

And the e320s are very nice, particularly the seats. In particular I like the way you can extend the seat base out for more underthigh support if you're tall, and the proper high backs, nice and wide too. Not as classy looking as an ICE and a bit rough riding ("typisch Siemens") but otherwise excellent; far, far better than any of the TGV-derived rubbish that Alstom like trotting out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.