• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar stock condition

Status
Not open for further replies.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I used HS1 from Stratford yesterday. Whilst waiting for my train, and for connections at Folkestone, I saw a few Class 373 pass by- both at speed, and one that halted heading towards St Pancras inside Stratford. They were almost brown enough with dirt to obscure the rampant patches of rust on their bodywork where the paint has flaked away.

Why has the fleet been allowed to get into such a condition? Isn't this supposed to be a premier service?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
I always wondered why they didn't at least fix up the front (and rear) of the trains to make sure the Eurostar logos were visible. I'm sure I've seen quite a few where the decals had all but disappeared.

I presume they've at least done that now the logo has changed?!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The ends of every train I saw had the new logos- the cleaning that they've done to make sure the vinyls stick just highlights how brown the rest of the train is.
I know we've got some Eurostar employees on here- let me assure you this isn't an attack on you- it's your management that have to take the blame for not giving enough resources to those responsible for maintaining them

Daimler

Established Member
From my experience, quite the norm. I'm travelling by Eurostar on a regular basis at the moment, and pretty much every train I use is externally filthy.

Mike C

The ends of every train I saw had the new logos- the cleaning that they've done to make sure the vinyls stick just highlights how brown the rest of the train is.
I know we've got some Eurostar employees on here- let me assure you this isn't an attack on you- it's your management that have to take the blame for not giving enough resources to those responsible for maintaining them

The trains are to have a major mid life overhaul and refurbishment starting soon. This will address the issue mentioned here along with new interiors and new livery.

The environment in the channel tunnel is a moist, warm and salty combination that is more corrosive than normally encountered by UK rolling stock.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Another factor, I imagine, is the drought order in the UK... does this mean train washing is minimal at Temple Mills at the moment and is more likely to be carried out only at Fforest and Le Landy?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
It's only just come into force. The trains have been filthy for a long time.

Clip

Established Member
Another factor, I imagine, is the drought order in the UK... does this mean train washing is minimal at Temple Mills at the moment and is more likely to be carried out only at Fforest and Le Landy?

The drought order has no influence on businesses just yet and I imagine that the train wshes have some sort of water retention facility to recycle the water that is used. If not they should have.

I do know other TOCs and indeed the DLR are using their train washes in the same fasion as they have always done.

A60K

The trains are to have a major mid life overhaul and refurbishment starting soon. This will address the issue mentioned here along with new interiors and new livery.

The environment in the channel tunnel is a moist, warm and salty combination that is more corrosive than normally encountered by UK rolling stock.
The train I was on last Saturday was missing all the Eurostar logos by the doors - you could see where the old ones had been and frankly it looked terrible. Hopefully there will be a better paint job when they're refurbished and durable logos.

Mike C

The train I was on last Saturday was missing all the Eurostar logos by the doors - you could see where the old ones had been and frankly it looked terrible. Hopefully there will be a better paint job when they're refurbished and durable logos.

Did you catch the set number?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.