• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar, TGV seating for adults + under-4s

Status
Not open for further replies.

BahrainLad

Planning a trip down to the southwest of France towards the end of July, when hopefully travel restrictions will be eased a bit more.

Route is London - Paris - Bordeaux - Ste Foy Le Grande.

Passengers are myself, my daughter (3) and my brother. So my daughter doesn't need a ticket.

Seems I can book London - Bordeaux on Eurostar.com, or London - SFLG all the way through on RailEurope. I like to collect Eurostar points, so can I do that on either platform? (I wonder if I would get points for the full spend if I booked on E*, but only the E* sector spend on RE.). What about Trainline? I suppose I may want to book Standard Premier + TGV First Class and then 2nd class on the TER, but RE won't let you do this on one ticket.

How do I select seats? I presume if I book on Eurostar.com, I would be able to select seats for the Eurostar legs on their website? I presume any booking for the TGV will just give me something random (but RE allows upper/lower/duo/solo I think?)

For my daughter, I think I can get a €9 seat reservation on the same TGV from the InOui website so she could have a seat without a ticket, but how do you get this adjacent to wherever Eurostar/RE have dumped you. Is it feasible/allowed to book 2 x €9 reservations at the same transaction just to get two seats together? Or even 3, if my brother joins us (he may be on a separate itinerary for either the outbound/return anyway)? Am I likely to get a telling off for doing this and not sitting in the seat on my ticket?

Any thoughts?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Kelford

Seems I can book London - Bordeaux on Eurostar.com, or London - SFLG all the way through on RailEurope. I like to collect Eurostar points, so can I do that on either platform? (I wonder if I would get points for the full spend if I booked on E*, but only the E* sector spend on RE.). What about Trainline? I suppose I may want to book Standard Premier + TGV First Class and then 2nd class on the TER, but RE won't let you do this on one ticket.
Try Oui.SNCF you can book London - SFLG provided the two governments let you.

blackfive460

I'm not sure what Eurostar's policy is for young children occupying seats or what SNCF's current policy is but from the experience of a family friend a few years ago who did the same as you are proposing for the TGV; just getting a seat reservation for the child, he found that SNCF expect children without a ticket to sit on the parents lap. He was told that, if they occupy a seat then they are expected to have a ticket for the journey and was made to purchase a full price ticket on the train so it would be worth checking what the rules are. An advance purchase child ticket may well prove a safer bet!

BahrainLad

I'm not sure what Eurostar's policy is for young children occupying seats or what SNCF's current policy is but from the experience of a family friend a few years ago who did the same as you are proposing for the TGV; just getting a seat reservation for the child, he found that SNCF expect children without a ticket to sit on the parents lap. He was told that, if they occupy a seat then they are expected to have a ticket for the journey and was made to purchase a full price ticket on the train so it would be worth checking what the rules are. An advance purchase child ticket may well prove a safer bet!

I think you must need to be careful which kind of reservation you get. I assume from this

On French domestic TGV & Intercité trains you can buy a special ticket called a Forfait Bambin for a fixed €9 per journey which gives your infant their own reserved seat, well worth it on a long trip. You'll automatically get a forfait Bambin if you buy your tickets at www.trainline.eu or en.oui.sncf and add your infant as a passenger with their correct date of birth/age. Forfait Bambin is not sold at any of the Rail Europe websites.

it can't just be any seat reservation, it needs to be a specific "Forfait Bambin." Certainly the InOui website will price up €9 in either standard or first class on any train without an issue.

blackfive460

I think you must need to be careful which kind of reservation you get. I assume from this

On French domestic TGV & Intercité trains you can buy a special ticket called a Forfait Bambin for a fixed €9 per journey which gives your infant their own reserved seat, well worth it on a long trip. You'll automatically get a forfait Bambin if you buy your tickets at www.trainline.eu or en.oui.sncf and add your infant as a passenger with their correct date of birth/age. Forfait Bambin is not sold at any of the Rail Europe websites.

it can't just be any seat reservation, it needs to be a specific "Forfait Bambin." Certainly the InOui website will price up €9 in either standard or first class on any train without an issue.

Good to have up to date information!
What I posted was from a few years ago and things have either changed in the meantime or it's entirely possible that my informant had the wrong kind of reservation.

Status
Not open for further replies.