• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostars fleet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The NoL sets would have been going through the Channel Tunnel in pairs, not as standalone units, which would have meant that they would be no different in size then to the full size 373 units.

You see what would have happened is a set from Glasgow/Edingburgh would have joined up with a set from say Manchester at somewhere like Ebbsfleet say joined together and then gone on from there coupled together.

Wow, no, you've imagined all of that. That's quite some fantasy. The reality is that they were designed to operate solo, with the same ability to split in the middle as the Three Capitals sets, just with four less carriages so they could fit into (some) domestic platforms.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RobShipway

Established Member
Wow, no, you've imagined all of that. That's quite some fantasy. The reality is that they were designed to operate solo, with the same ability to split in the middle as the Three Capitals sets, just with four less carriages so they could fit into (some) domestic platforms.

Well, if I have imagined it then so did Daft as I got those details directly from them years ago when the project was being planned.

Bridge189

They've always been allowed through as solo units (two half sets).

I don't think 373s are permitted/passed to run coupled together unless it's an emergency drag, certainly not at 186mph, so as TGV says I doubt that was ever an option.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Well, if I have imagined it then so did Daft as I got those details directly from them years ago when the project was being planned.
you've misunderstood what they said, your source was badly misguided or you've misremembered what you were told. Seriously. Because, as TGV says, there was never any chance two NOL units operating together. Where on earth would a train that long go to, anyway? The NOL sets are still a huge 320 m long, a double set would need a 640m platform!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
What is the status of the long out of use Belgian set?

3101/2 is currently split; the trailers are at a suppliers in France being used to trial refurbishment stuff; I forget the name of the village but it was detailed in Today's Railways Europe a few months ago.

The power cars are either still at Temple Mills ( but indoors ) or are at Hellemes; I can't remember which.

I am told the set will be refurbished, but will not be the first one out - more likely the last one to be done!

fgwrich

Established Member
3101/2 is currently split; the trailers are at a suppliers in France being used to trial refurbishment stuff; I forget the name of the village but it was detailed in Today's Railways Europe a few months ago.

The power cars are either still at Temple Mills ( but indoors ) or are at Hellemes; I can't remember which.

I am told the set will be refurbished, but will not be the first one out - more likely the last one to be done!

Is one of those powercars up at Brush Loughborough?

Bridge189

Would that not cost a lot more than its worth? Hasn't that set been a spare parts donor for about 12 years. Surely it would make more sense to poach SNCFs 3C 373s.

Electrostar

In theory and if there was demand could the NoL sets be used to supplement SouthEastern High Speed services? I assume they're cleared for HS1 and have third rail capabilities, even if the shoes are currently removed.

button_boxer

Established Member
In theory and if there was demand could the NoL sets be used to supplement SouthEastern High Speed services? I assume they're cleared for HS1 and have third rail capabilities, even if the shoes are currently removed.

Would they have sufficient acceleration for the more frequent stops of a domestic service?

D365

Veteran Member

Would they have sufficient acceleration for the more frequent stops of a domestic service?

Probably not suitable, if ever... Aren't they too long anyway?

34D

Established Member

Would that not cost a lot more than its worth? Hasn't that set been a spare parts donor for about 12 years. Surely it would make more sense to poach SNCFs 3C 373s.

From memory, did 3101/3102 have some kind of advertising livery in July 2000? If so, I believe I had it from Waterloo to Paris GDN.

Wasn't there another set (NoL perhaps) that has never carried passengers and has been used a christmas tree for many years?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

Yes, I believe it has been out of traffic ever since it derailed when a WW1 trench collapsed underneath it at speed.

However, I have been repeatedly told by people at HQ who should know that it will eventually return to service, so...

34D

Established Member
Yes, I believe it has been out of traffic ever since it derailed when a WW1 trench collapsed underneath it at speed.

However, I have been repeatedly told by people at HQ who should know that it will eventually return to service, so...

I'm wrong in my post above. By googling, I see that the 3101 3102 accident was June 2000.

I don't suppose anyone can help me with details of a set in advertising vinyl in July 2000 at all? Sadly at the time I was more interested in the girlfriend I was taking to Paris than the haulage there.

Bridge189

It was a fairly minor incident so I'm surprised the sets been out for nigh on 13 years. I don't dispute that it's returning to traffic but you can guarantee the cost wll be astronomical.

starrymarkb

Established Member
This is apparently the new 373 livery...

r3215.jpg

jopsuk

Veteran Member
it could just be poor photos/reproduction on the model- I'd bet it is the same shade as the e320

Yew

Established Member
I dont like the lines on the nose, but the carriages look nice. in some ways it reminds me of Intercity liveries

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I mean on the whole, as the current "white" 373s look awful when they haven't been washed!

Aye- white is NEVER a good colour unless you're prepared to put the trains through a carriage wash pretty much daily.

D365

Veteran Member
Sadly at the time I was more interested in the girlfriend I was taking to Paris than the haulage there.

Rightly so? :P

it could just be poor photos/reproduction on the model- I'd bet it is the same shade as the e320

You'd imagine so.

Aye- white is NEVER a good colour unless you're prepared to put the trains through a carriage wash pretty much daily.

Silver isn't great either...

Pumbaa

Established Member
Or to show up the snow before it gets inside.

Very good ;)

I don't like the way the cabside window sits out of kilter with all the styling, it could have done with the top painted in slightly I think.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I think it would look better without the white band, but overall I really like it - it's a very good livery, far better than the present predominantly grey and yellow scheme.

BestWestern

Established Member
I think it would look better without the white band, but overall I really like it - it's a very good livery, far better than the present predominantly grey and yellow scheme.

I concur. Very smart, professional and what one might expect of an international train service. The current scheme is pretty poor IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.