• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostars to Glasgow

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristopherJ

I've just been having a go at the NLL 1991 SimSig Timetable and I had a Train carrying headcode 9X84 as the 08:25 Glasgow Central - Paris Nord enter my screen.

This seems like a very unfamiliar working for a Eurostar and it’s got me thinking if this was a real working or just fiction added to the SimSig timetable?

Would anybody know anymore to if this was a real working and if there is a site with photo’s of this working? As I would be interested in seeing a photo of a 373 in Glasgow Central! :o

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Simming

IIRC that Timetable has eurostars in there as if it were a "could have been" scenario, I think it says that in the TT description.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Eurostars have worked as far north as Newcastle at least (not in passenger service), but I don't think they have been any further north than that.

Simming

and they where too big for the platforms so I hear.

Although, how far north did they go on trials on the WCML, or was that only to Manchester?

Jordy

Established Member
I've seen a picture of one on test at Crewe in an old 'Rail' mag. I think that one was going to Manchester.

Jordy

Galvanize

Never been a Eurostar at Glasgow Central, and Eurostars didn't even run to Waterloo in 1991! It's fictional and a "What if" diagram, part of the sadly ill-fated regional eurostar. Indeed, track was renewed and lowered preparing for Eurostars to Birmingham, Manchester and glasgow. Kensington Olympia would also of been a potential station for Eurostar UK, the customs buildings were built especially, but like the trackwork on the NLL, this proved unessiary.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Until recently, Longsight had "L'Eurostar habite ici" on the side of it (which apparently is incorrect in French), and, as recently as 1999 a North of London Eurostar went to Manchester via the Trent Valley and the WCML.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
At one stage some trains waited at Birmingham International for a regional eurostar to pass even though there was no service running

Guinness

Established Member
Jordy said:
I've seen a picture of one on test at Crewe in an old 'Rail' mag. I think that one was going to Manchester.

Jordy

That explains the "Welcome to Crewe" Advertising board (Billboard) on the WCML with a picture of a Eurostar on.

One thing is sure though there would be plenty of room for a eurostar to fit into Glasgow Central alright. Although i don't think there's any need for it as long as GNER and Virgin are around

clagmonster

Established Member
I believe one has been dragged to Glasgow by a pair of 37s for clearance tests.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
DescendingSadly said:
But it belongs to GNER ;)
'Fraid not, GNER don't own any rolling stock (to my knowledge). It's leased from Eurostar, and is off lease next month.

Get them while you can!

Rob

matt said:
At one stage some trains waited at Birmingham International for a regional eurostar to pass even though there was no service running
A similar thing happened with the Nightstar services. The timings were in Trust, so the signalling system thought they ran even though they didn't.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Are the paths still 'reserved' for these trains, preventing other services from using them, or has that all stopped now?

TheSlash

Established Member
I think only recently, like within the last year, did it stop, as i remember a typically uninformative press article about it.

Harold

yorkie said:
Eurostars have worked as far north as Newcastle at least (not in passenger service), but I don't think they have been any further north than that.

i would have thought that the platforms between newcastle and Glasgow (apart from Edinburgh Waverley) where too short for the gner eurostars, they struggle enough fitting the coaches into the longest platform at Kings X.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
HBaileyton135 said:
i would have thought that the platforms between newcastle and Glasgow (apart from Edinburgh Waverley) where too short for the gner eurostars, they struggle enough fitting the coaches into the longest platform at Kings X.
Maybe, but such a service could (and probably would) have run non-stop between Edinburgh and Newcastle, as many of the longer-distance GNER services do, and even if the platforms were too short SDO can be used.

In any case, they'll never be used north of York again.

Tomnick

Established Member
Somehow doubt that long platforms would cause a serious problem :shock: ;) .

Status
Not open for further replies.