• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostars

Status
Not open for further replies.

i wonderd what is the point where the Eurostar makes the switch between the third rail and the pantograph?
is it happen during the train moves or the driver must do it when the train stops?
where do they do it?

another thing - why Virgin Trains use Pendolinos to Holyhead if most of the is not electrified? i guess that the class 57 which drag them can't work on the speeds the Pedos work. why not using Voyagers?

thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LucaZone

The change from 3rd rail to OHE is made just round the corner from Fawkham Junction. Ordinarily enough, at the very start of the OHE for the CTRL line which begins officially at Southfleet Junction.

Its done on the go, the driver raises the 3rd Rail Shoes causing the train to run neutral. He then raises the Panto at each end once the train is under the wires and waits for a sign on the trackside to tell him he can energise from the OHE.

On >>THIS<< map its the tiny turn off to the left just below the red dot for Ebbsfleet Parkway station. Right above the word 'Singlewell'
Edited (by doublepost prevention system):
As for the Holyhead line being served by 390's under drag. 390's have more seats (even if you sling several voyagers together - but this would then be a wasteful use of 4/5-car units), are compatible with alot of the line before reaching the non-electrified section, and possibly make things more convienient, allocation wise. I think it would be more a point of expense and pointlessness as to why they dont drag the 390 with a Class 57 all the way from Euston.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
And remember, Voyagers are assigned to VXC, not VWC. They are two different companies. I believe VWC would have to hire them from XC, which would be a complete waste of time and effort when Pendos can run for 80-90% of the journey.

And Voyagers do run some of the services.

LucaZone said:
The change from 3rd rail to OHE is made just round the corner from Fawkham Junction. Ordinarily enough, at the very start of the OHE for the CTRL line which begins officially at Southfleet Junction.

Its done on the go, the driver raises the 3rd Rail Shoes causing the train to run neutral. He then raises the Panto at each end once the train is under the wires and waits for a sign on the trackside to tell him he can energise from the OHE.

On >>THIS<< map its the tiny turn off to the left just below the red dot for Ebbsfleet Parkway station. Right above the word 'Singlewell'
Edited (by doublepost prevention system):
As for the Holyhead line being served by 390's under drag. 390's have more seats (even if you sling several voyagers together - but this would then be a wasteful use of 4/5-car units), are compatible with alot of the line before reaching the non-electrified section, and possibly make things more convienient, allocation wise. I think it would be more a point of expense and pointlessness as to why they dont drag the 390 with a Class 57 all the way from Euston.
1. when Pendo is draged by 57 - where is the power from? i mean power for air condition, light etc....
2. is it possible that i saw that Pendo has 2 pantographs? what for?
3. are classes 373 and 92 the only classes that have third rail shoes and pantograph?

sorry for the weird questions. the only information i can get is from the net. i m not living in GB (i wish i was...)

Julian G

Established Member
43000 said:
1. when Pendo is draged by 57 - where is the power from? i mean power for air condition, light etc....
3. are classes 373 and 92 the only classes that have third rail shoes and pantograph?

sorry for the weird questions. the only information i can get is from the net. i m not living in GB (i wish i was...)
1) They get the power from the 57
3) No, Classes 313,319 have both third rail shoes and Pantographs (Since I have to mention the pair together, I think i'm going to have to leave the computer for a while)

TheSlash

Established Member
43000 said:

1. An electric jumper is connected between the loco and the train called an ETS, Electric Train Supply. This powers the 'auxilliary' functions {heating, lighting and communication}
2. I expect it has 2, 1 for back up
3. The 377/2 and 319 {not sure if the whole class or just subsector class members} have AC and DC capabilities.
The Desiro fleet is designed to work on both but currently only runs on one or the other i believe

Sprinter

Pendolino's although are physically one whole train, they are configured to be two half trains, so that if one pantograph has failed, in most cases the other panto (at the rear of the unit to which the train is travelling) can be raised to carry on with the journey.

Some West Coast 350s have had 3rd rail shoes fitted and have been testing on the SWT network near Basingstoke.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
313s, 319s, 325s, 350s, 375/6s and 377/2s have both pantographs and shoes. The 375/6s though work for South Eastern and don't use the pantograph, and the 350s work for Central and Silverlink and don't use the shoes, although they have been tested on third rail. I don't think the 375/6s have ever been tested on AC. AFAIK they were fitted with pantographs for possible use on the CTRL or for through services using the ELL when extended. The 365s, 375s, 377s, 444s and 450s are all capable of running of both AC overhead and DC third rail, but the former lacks shoes, and the latter lack pantographs.

clagmonster

Established Member
In addition, class 71 is fitted with both a pan and 3rd rail shoes. However, only one, E5001 still exists in preservation. While it used to be mainline certified, I don't believe it is any more and I am not sure of its current location. While, in BR days the locos only ever worked on Southern Region third rail lines, yards were not fitted with 3rd rail but with overhead (still DC) due to obvious safety issues.

Julian G

Established Member
TheSlash said:
1. An electric jumper is connected between the loco and the train called an ETS, Electric Train Supply. This powers the 'auxilliary' functions {heating, lighting and communication}
2. I expect it has 2, 1 for back up
3. The 377/2 and 319 {not sure if the whole class or just subsector class members} have AC and DC capabilities.
The Desiro fleet is designed to work on both but currently only runs on one or the other i believe
it's the 319 Class now
319/2 got their pantograph back before being kicked off from Brighton Express to Watford-Brighton Allocations

Status
Not open for further replies.