• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurotunnel changes name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Ohe dear, they didn't think that one through did they?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ges-name-getlink-prepares-post-brexit-future/

Eurotunnel has changed its name to Getlink after more than 30 years as part of a corporate rebrand ahead of Brexit.

The French company, which operates the Channel Tunnel, said that it wanted to adopt a "very Anglo-Saxon" name as it expands its business interests.

The change of branding will only take place at a corporate level, with customers booking the shuttle service between Folkestone and Calais continuing to book with Eurotunnel's Le Shuttle service.

However it is likely to draw comparisons with other historic name changes, such as the Post Office's decision to call itself Consignia in 2001.

The name was subsequently dropped. The name may also draw comparisons with the Sealink ferry service, which went out of operation in the 1990s around the time the tunnel started operating.

A Getlink spokesman said: "No massive expensive brand identity organisation came in. It’s Get – go and acquire...

I can forsee people calling them "GetLost" now...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
Sounds like a cheap and nasty ferry service. How foolish.
It's only Eurotunnel Group that is changing its name, the tunnel service will still be Eurotunnel.

Incidentally, an abbreviation of "Groupe EuroTunnel" is GET...

Lrd

Established Member
It's only Eurotunnel Group that is changing its name, the tunnel service will still be Eurotunnel.

Thanks for that, I was hoping that was the case. A bit like Google and Alphabet...

Gordon

A marketing slogan for passengers could be

*** Consignia yourself across the channel in 35 minutes - use Getlink***

Senex

Established Member

I wonder how much they paid consultants to suggest that.

Hophead

Established Member
I wonder how much they paid consultants to suggest that.
Nothing at all - they came up with it themselves. And, as others have said, the only people likely to notice will be investors.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Thankfully it's not a "customer facing" brand- the car service is still "Eurotunnel Shuttle", and Eurostar isn't owned by the group at all.

Totally stupid.. Just as bad as SNCF with throwing house hold brand names like TGV and RER out of the window...

Just what are those marketing executives smoking across the channel?! Whatever it is, I need to get some!!

duesselmartin

Established Member
Lufthansa ditched its good name in most short haul flights for Germanwings / Eurowings. Also daft. I am sure a low cost brand could have been created with the name Lufthansa in it. But thats off topic.

On Moderation
Totally stupid.. Just as bad as SNCF with throwing house hold brand names like TGV and RER out of the window...

Just what are those marketing executives smoking across the channel?! Whatever it is, I need to get some!!
Not sure the British can talk.... ditching the InterCity brand (which had awareness of 90%+ as I recall it) was monumentally stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.