• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurotunnel Class 92

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristopherJ

Can anyone explain the ownership and allocation of the class 92 locomotives owned by Eurotunnel?

As far as I understand, the locos are owned outright, not leased from a ROSCO, by Groupe Eurotunnel S.A and then hired to the Europorte subsidiaries of GBRf for domestic UK operations and Europorte Channel for international Channel Tunnel operations. Which means there must be two separate pools of locos - one for each subsidiary, so a GBRf loco can't turn up on a EC working through the Tunnel and an EC loco can't turn up on a GBRf working in the UK... Correct? :? I always thought a loco change occurs and legal operation of the train switches between subsidiaries at Dollands Moor?

However, last month I saw a blue and orange GBRf class 92 at Fréthun Tunnel yard - which means the fleet must be allocated to one universal pool shared between GBRf and EC?

As well as the GBRf 92 inside the yard at Fréthun, there were several triple grey 92s inside the Eurotunnel depot at Coquelles. Are all Eurotunnel 92s allocated to Coquelles or do they still get treatment at Crewe IEMD when this side of the channel?

Never thought I'd see a GBRf loco along side both a Fret SNCF green Prima and both an ECR white and grey 186 TRAXX and a G-something Vossloh diesel-hydraulic thingy. Looked very surreal. As if people have actually began to give a damn about running railfreight through the Channel Tunnel! /sarcasm.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Schnellzug

Established Member
Officially, I believe the Europorte locos are allocated to Coquelles, all the active locos are allocated to GBET (which i presume is a joint GBRf/Eurotunnel pool); the stored ones are PTXX. This is a useful site which has just been updated; choose '90-97' from the list at the bottom to find the class 92 list.

Boothby97

Established Member
They don't tend to make it north of Rugby, so maintenence on GBRf/Europorte locos is not done at Crewe IEMD anymore.
Thanks, Sam

Phil6219

Wasn't there an issue last year when GBRF started to operate 92s, as DBS have access to all of the spare parts and would not let them have some, hence the rumours that GB would be forced to strip one or two down for parts. Which given EWS and DBS penchant for sacrificing it's own locos to stop the competition from having them would make the rumours more believable.

Phil 8-)

fgwrich

Established Member
Wasn't there an issue last year when GBRF started to operate 92s, as DBS have access to all of the spare parts and would not let them have some, hence the rumours that GB would be forced to strip one or two down for parts. Which given EWS and DBS penchant for sacrificing it's own locos to stop the competition from having them would make the rumours more believable.

Phil 8-)

Don't forget that the GB Operated locos are the former Eurostar (Stored at Crewe) & SNCF locos - The spares issue came around after Eurotunnels purchase of 5 of the 92s stored at Crewe from Eurostar, but as EWS / DBS has the spare parts required to return those 92s to traffic, and as GBRf / Eurotunnel are a rival freight operator operating through the Chunnel, DBS Blocked access to the spares - Which as you said, resulted in the talk of the sacrificing of several 92s to return several to traffic...Nice one DBS!

Status
Not open for further replies.