• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Euston - Birmingham New Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello

Is anyone able to find a cheap split for travel (using a PRIV) between Euston and Birmingham New Street and return, where the trains in question (1503 EUS - BHM and 1650 return) call at Rugby, Coventry, Birmingham International and Birmingham New Street?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

calc7

Established Member
Do you hold a season ticket (such as London travelcard)?

No. Though I'm happy to consider anything that makes it cheaper overall (so rovers/rangers/other things aren't out of the question).

I'm also happy to do as many splits as it takes - so don't need to be restricted to just one split.

This has come about because 90048/WB64 is allocated those trains today - I'd go for a run-out, but as they don't stop at MKC, it would mean (as far as I can see) splitting at least at Rugby, and it's coming up with a fare of around £30 return for that (not to mention the Rugby - BHM and return bit too), which is a bit much for a general trip out.

sonic2009

Established Member
I would think it's harder to get the journey cheaper than £30.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Using Condition 19c :

19. Using a combination of tickets
You may use two or more tickets for one journey as long as together they cover the entire
journey and one of the following applies:
(a) they are both Zonal Tickets (unless special conditions prohibit their use);
(b) the train you are in calls at a station where you change from one
ticket to another; or
(c) one of the tickets is a Season Ticket (which for this purpose does not include
Season Tickets or travel passes issued on behalf of a passenger transport
executive or local authority) or a leisure travel pass, and the other ticket(s) is/are not.

Here's my option for you :

London Euston - Milton Keynes Central VIRGIN ONLY SDR £7.25
Milton Keynes Central - Rugby ANY PERMITTED SDR £3.50
West Midlands Day Ranger £5.40 (Priv Discount is available on this).

Total : £16.15

The West Midlands day ranger is classified as a leisure travel pass. I think i'm correct with the above option satisfying condition 19c ( will someone please clarify).

And also be prepared to have a discussion with the Barrier Staff at Euston.

Last edited:

gnolife

Established Member
For the purposes of this Condition, a “leisure travel pass” means any multi-journey ticket
(excluding Season Tickets) valid for:
(i) at least 7 consecutive days; or
(ii) at least 3 days in a period of at least 7 consecutive days
and includes rover tickets, travel passes, flexipass tickets and BritRail passes

Quoted from the National Rail Condition of Carriage
The split mentioned above is not valid, as a WMDR doesn't fit the definiton of Leisure travel Pass

Are the EUS - MKC and MKC - RUG tickets valid in this case, given that the trains don't stop at MKC?

sonic2009

Established Member
Quoted from the National Rail Condition of Carriage
The split mentioned above is not valid, as a WMDR doesn't fit the definiton of Leisure travel Pass

Oops I forgot about that one!

Replace it then with a Heart of England 3 in 7 ( I believe PRIV is available) which I work out to be with 75% discount £17.75
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Are the EUS - MKC and MKC - RUG tickets valid in this case, given that the trains don't stop at MKC?

No as the train has to stop at MKC.

If EUS - MKC and MKC - RUG was valid, I could twin them with RUG - COV and COV - BHM.

However, I thought that it wasn't possible to purchase the EUS - MKC and MKC - RUG tickets, as neither service calls at MKC. Is that correct?

Edit - just seen the response above. A pity!

Status
Not open for further replies.