• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Euston mainline to Kings Cross underground

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
Having stupidly paid an extra £4.90 for a ‘London Underground Zones 1-3 to London Terminals’ ticket, on top of my Hereford to Euston (which in fact reads ‘to London Terminals’), I am determined to actually use the extra ticket rather than walk to Kings Cross.

It looks like I have to walk to Euston Square anyway as the tube station at Euston doesn’t serve the Hammersmith or Circle lines, which rather defeats the object by having to walk five minutes in the wrong direction.

I take it there isn’t a way to connect from Euston underground station and get onto a Kings Cross line?

I am perfectly capable of walking it but annoyed that I booked what I thought was a through ticket but which turned out to be a Hereford to Euston plus a separate London Underground (rip-off) ticket. Could have used my Oyster for less than £4.90.

Lesson learned :( . When I have booked Hereford to Kings Cross via Paddington the single ticket includes the tube connection, so I just assumed it would be the same even though I went via Birmingham.

(This has been discussed elsewhere on the forum so I don’t need another kicking!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gazthomas

Established Member
Crikey. I really wouldn't bother. By the time you've got to Euston Square, or the deep lines at Euston you could have walked to Kings Cross and back in the same time. I'm happy to send you the money to save you the trouble and stress!

In answer your question though, you can take the Victoria line from Euston to Kings Cross, but honestly, the walk from the platforms at Kings Cross to the exits can almost be as long as walking from Euston! And the City branch of the Northern Line too, if you like a tight squeeze!

Last edited:

trainophile

Established Member
Haha, thanks for the quick reply and wise words. Yes I am being silly, it’s just annoying to waste the ticket even though on the scale of what I waste every year through changing plans it’s pretty inconsequential.

I’ve got quite a heavy backpack but I can manage the walk. Got to find where I’m staying when I get there too, but I’ve got all afternoon!

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The Victoria and Northern Lines both operate direct from Euston to Kings Cross St Pancras, avoiding the need to go to Euston Square.

trainophile

Established Member
Oops thanks Hadders, I will know next time!

Came out of Euston to see some posters on lampposts pointing out a walking route to Kings Cross, so I took that as a message just for me and followed them! Found the hotel quite easily with the aid of Google Maps. (It’s okay for £45 a night, given the Premier Inn Hub wanted £170! If anyone wants details please PM me.)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you must take LU, take the deep level tube rather than the sub surface Metropolitan Railway.

But it's better to walk.

The walk is along reasonably pleasant quiet roads (via Brill Place/Phoenix Road; see map); do not walk along the busy Euston Road (for health & stress reasons, quite apart from the fact it takes longer!)

bionic

It's a bit of a quirk that if you use the Northern line from Euston to Kings X you catch a southbound train but if you get the Victoria line it's a northbound train! Obviously you'd be mad to do either as it's quicker, cheaper and far more pleasant to walk.

cjp

It's a bit of a quirk that if you use the Northern line from Euston to Kings X you catch a southbound train but if you get the Victoria line it's a northbound train! Obviously you'd be mad to do either as it's quicker, cheaper and far more pleasant to walk.
Unless it is raining cats and dogs that is.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Even more ironic that you're actually going west-east!

jon0844

Veteran Member
The well signed walk between the two stations is all very good, but I still don't feel comfortable doing it at night.

I still get people approaching me with sob stories most nights on the main road too, but at least there's a lot of people and vehicles around in comparison.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The well signed walk between the two stations is all very good, but I still don't feel comfortable doing it at night.

I still get people approaching me with sob stories most nights on the main road too, but at least there's a lot of people and vehicles around in comparison.

I normally take a slight variation when walking between Euston and Kings Cross.

I walk down Doric Way then through a passageway called Churchway that brings you out opposite the Somers Town Coffee House (that’s actually a pub not a coffee shop). There’s a side gate taking you through the courtyard of the flats that comes out on Ossulston Street. From there walk down Dangoor Walk (the new footpath between the new Crick Institute Building and the British Library) which comes out on Midland Road directly opposite the entrance to St Pancras. Saves a couple of minutes.

I’ve walked this route regularly late at night (the latest being after 1am) and never had a problem.

bionic

You get a few characters round the back of Somerstown if you are cutting through the backstreets at night. If you are worried stay on the main road. I've lived in London all my life but you need to use a bit of common sense. If you start strolling around backstreets and estates with suitcases and your phone out and you get robbed, I wouldnt say you deserved it but you definitely set yourself up for it. You won't have any bother on the main road.

bramling

Veteran Member
You get a few characters round the back of Somerstown if you are cutting through the backstreets at night. If you are worried stay on the main road. I've lived in London all my life but you need to use a bit of common sense. If you start strolling around backstreets and estates with suitcases and your phone out and you get robbed, I wouldnt say you deserved it but you definitely set yourself up for it. You won't have any bother on the main road.

To be fair, I’ve known people get robbed on the Euston abroad between Euston and King’s Cross, however as others have said you’ve at least got the prospect of others being around. The Somerstown back streets can be quite isolated at night.

On balance I’d go for Euston Road between 2200 and daybreak.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I appreciate that walking between Euston and Kings Cross is better than using the underground but what if you are coming from Waterloo.

Is it better to get a tube to Euston and walk or take a combination of tubes to Kings Cross, even you are already underground?

These combinations could be:
Jubilee to Green Park and then Victoria line
Bakerloo line to Oxford Circus then Victoira Line
Northern Line to Leicester Square then Piccadilly line
Along with a few others I suspect are slower.

bramling

Veteran Member
I appreciate that walking between Euston and Kings Cross is better than using the underground but what if you are coming from Waterloo.

Is it better to get a tube to Euston and walk or take a combination of tubes to Kings Cross, even you are already underground?

These combinations could be:
Bakerloo line to Oxford Circus then Victoira Line
Northern Line to Leicester Square then Piccadilly line
Along with a few others I suspect are slower.

Generally Bakerloo and Victoria lines is considered to be the best, however Northern and Piccadilly lines is also not bad especially if one positions self at the right end of the trains so as to make a quick interchange at Leicester Square.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Generally Bakerloo and Victoria lines is considered to be the best, however Northern and Piccadilly lines is also not bad especially if one positions self at the right end of the trains so as to make a quick interchange at Leicester Square.
Google recommend Jubilee and Bakerloo options but don't always get it right. On the perticular day I travelled, I was fortunate to be travelling at a time when I could alight at Clapham Junction and go to London Victoira and then get the Victoira line from there.

bionic

The walk between the Jubilee and Victoria lines at Green Park is miles. You definitely don't want to go that way. Bakerloo and Victoria lines have cross platform interchange at Oxford Circus.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
If you're on a stopping train into Waterloo it's probably quicker to change to the Victoria at Vauxhall.

infobleep

Veteran Member
If you're on a stopping train into Waterloo it's probably quicker to change to the Victoria at Vauxhall.
Alas I wouldn't be in the cases I'm referring to. Not unless you want to get a stopping train from Guildford to Vauxhall or from Woking to Surbtion, followed by Surbtion to Vauxhall. I doubt those are faster.

rebmcr

Established Member
The walk between the Jubilee and Victoria lines at Green Park is miles. You definitely don't want to go that way. Bakerloo and Victoria lines have cross platform interchange at Oxford Circus.

Wrong, the walk between the Piccadilly and other lines is miles. J to V at Green Park is only about 50 metres, it's a great change.

For this journey, the best is the cross-platform at Oxford Circus as you say.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
No it isn’t, the long interchange at Green Park is between the Jubilee and Piccadilly, or Victoria and Piccadilly.

We have had the issue over what is the best route from Waterloo to Kings +, it is undoubtedly via Oxford Circus which is a cross platform interchange.

infobleep

Veteran Member
No it isn’t, the long interchange at Green Park is between the Jubilee and Piccadilly, or Victoria and Piccadilly.

We have had the issue over what is the best route from Waterloo to Kings +, it is undoubtedly via Oxford Circus which is a cross platform interchange.
I can never remember which stations have fast interchanges and which require a hike.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

I've tried that; it's better to just carry on to Waterloo and do the Oxford Circus cross-platform thing.

Vauxhall is an awful station to try to change at. Very crowded, narrow staircases, the Underground is across a busy road ( yes there is a pedestrian crossing but even so... )...

trebor79

Established Member
In answer your question though, you can take the Victoria line from Euston to Kings Cross, but honestly, the walk from the platforms at Kings Cross to the exits can almost be as long as walking from Euston!

Only if you obediently follow the signs that direct you on the ridiculous walk backwards and forwards and into the new concourse.
I ignore them and use the much shorter and quicker routes up the old escalators into the old ticket hall.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
if you have lots of luggage, the sub surface lines are much better than the deep tube lines, due to being about 50% bigger and not so crowded. Also, they're easier to access in most cases

Belperpete

Established Member
Having spotted the signs, I decided to try it on my last visit, to get from Euston to StP. It was dark, it is not the most salubrious part of London, and there were not many people about, so I did not feel too comfortable. To top it off, I must have missed a sign somewhere, and got lost. I certainly won't be making the walk that way again in the dark.

Belperpete

Established Member
if you have lots of luggage, the sub surface lines are much better than the deep tube lines, due to being about 50% bigger and not so crowded. Also, they're easier to access in most cases
Not sure that I would agree with the later. Most sub-surface lines involve lots of steps, which can make life difficult if you have a buggy, luggage, etc. whereas the deep tube lines are accessed by lifts or escalators.

On the subject of interchanges, if travelling between Euston and Earls Court or beyond on the District, I have tended to travel via Victoria. However, they have now made the interchange escalators one way, which involves a long diversionary walk if interchanging from Vic to District (OK the other way).

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
On the subject of interchanges, if travelling between Euston and Earls Court or beyond on the District, I have tended to travel via Victoria. However, they have now made the interchange escalators one way, which involves a long diversionary walk if interchanging from Vic to District (OK the other way).
That is only a temporary thing by the way, due to escalator replacement works.

Hophead

Established Member
I've tried that; it's better to just carry on to Waterloo and do the Oxford Circus cross-platform thing.

Vauxhall is an awful station to try to change at. Very crowded, narrow staircases, the Underground is across a busy road ( yes there is a pedestrian crossing but even so... )...

But there is a subway. Agree on the crowds on the stairs down from the mainline platforms (though that will depend on time of day). Other than that, I don't find it to be too much of a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.