• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Euston Square Puzzle

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
All of the above I believe, though I've not heard of work ever starting on the turnback loop. The station west of Euston that served what became one of the branches of the Northern survived as a ventilation pump room but has either been demolished already or is about to be, as it's in the HS2 footprint. The one for the other branch was to the east, and I think on the site of what became the BR Headquarters on Eversholt Street. Both of those had lifts and I believe were connected at shallow depth to a common entrance to the main line station, as well as a deeper-level interchange connection with a ticket office for people to book their onward journeys when they were different companies.
Google found a site with some good photos of the sort of thing you mention, showing some examples of disused passenger tunnels, empty lift shafts, and ventilation tunnels, as well as that ticket office:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Google found a site with some good photos of the sort of thing you mention, showing some examples of disused passenger tunnels, empty lift shafts, and ventilation tunnels, as well as that ticket office:

Thanks for that, I hadn't seen that particular one but there are several others to look at too.

Recessio

If they do pedestrianise the North end of Gordon St to put this entrance in, does make wish they'd consider pedestrianising the street all the way down to Torrington Place, or at least Gordon Square. Absolutely lethal with the amount of students wandering in between traffic at the moment.

Regardless, this new entrance and link to Euston will be of huge benefit for people arriving at UCL and the rest of the University of London, not having to cross the Euston Road too.

Status
Not open for further replies.