• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Euston to Clapham Junction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nym

Established Member
Minimising walking from the concourse you'd be best with going by LO via Willesden Junction. But it takes a loooonnnggg time

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Victoria line to Vauxhall and then train mainline to Clapham.

Wolfie

Established Member
any advice please on the best way to get from Euston to Clapham Junc with least amount of walking and train changes.

Three thoughts come to mind, depends if your priorities are speed, lack of level changes or what...

a Northern line (Charing Cross branch) to Waterloo, take a train from there;

b Victoria line to Vauxhall change onto mainline there;

c London Overground (Euston-Watford branch) to Willesdon Junction, change to London Overground (North London line) to Clapham Junction (this is my wildcard which is a little slower but perhaps more interesting......)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hum, interupted mid-typing by a phone call and suddenly two of my suggestions had already been posted.....:oops:

Nym

Established Member
Or one could combine the buses across central London and a train from Vic or Waterloo from there, that or LO would minimise walking since there is a heck of a lot on LUL to just get on and off the network.

For example, when I had to get down to Holborn yesterday morning, I just walked, was quicker than any other mode...(!)

EDIT: From Euston...

Wolfie

Established Member
There's nothing great. A slow 170 from Victoria or a 77 from Waterloo.

TfL's suggestion (via the routeplanner!) is:

EUSTON: 168, 88, 188 to ALDWYCH

ALDWYCH: 87 to CLAPHAM JUNCTION

Journey time approx 1h10!!!

Deerfold

Veteran Member
TfL's suggestion (via the routeplanner!) is:

EUSTON: 168, 88, 188 to ALDWYCH

ALDWYCH: 87 to CLAPHAM JUNCTION

Journey time approx 1h10!!!

Yes, I was looking at combining tube and bus. If I was doing it all by bus and minimising walking I'd probably do 59/68 from Euston to Waterloo and then 77 to Clapham Junction but it would be slow during the day.

Thanks for all your valued replies, time is of the essence as we are travelling down from Runcorn with a Megabus ticket, train arrives Euston about 16:00 and we head back home the same evening around 21:15. As it was only £4.50 for the 2 of us its worth going for a few hours spotting in London. It will cost more for a Travelcard :)

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It will cost more for a Travelcard :)

If you are just going from Euston to Clapham Junction and back then don't buy a travelcard, especially if you have Oyster cards. (I can't remember whether you've asked about Oyster before?) After 1600 on a weekday will cost £3.60 if you change at Vauxhall and returning later will cost £3.10 either way. The scenic route (via LO) is cheaper but will take ages. If you have a railcard logged on your Oyster then the return becomes £2.05, or probably less because you'll cap at the reduced off-peak zone 1-2 cap of £4.60.

If you are just going from Euston to Clapham Junction and back then don't buy a travelcard, especially if you have Oyster cards. (I can't remember whether you've asked about Oyster before?) After 1600 on a weekday will cost £3.60 if you change at Vauxhall and returning later will cost £3.10 either way. The scenic route (via LO) is cheaper but will take ages. If you have a railcard logged on your Oyster then the return becomes £2.05, or probably less because you'll cap at the reduced off-peak zone 1-2 cap of £4.60.

When I have asked for help on previous trips to London members have suggested the use of Oyster cards however I have never purchased one simply because I have read that many threads where people seem to have problems I prefer the Travelcard, with Senior Railcard its not that expensive and I am more familiar with that type of ticketing. I will however look into the Oyster Card "thing" and give it some thought. Thanks Mike for your advice.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
On the other hand, if you're spotting at Clapham, then a paper travelcard would be the better option, as that way you won't encounter the maximum journey time issue.

Statto

Established Member
Thanks for all your valued replies, time is of the essence as we are travelling down from Runcorn with a Megabus ticket, train arrives Euston about 16:00 and we head back home the same evening around 21:15. As it was only £4.50 for the 2 of us its worth going for a few hours spotting in London. It will cost more for a Travelcard :)

What day of the Week, as if your going Mon to Fri it may be better to get the Tube to either Waterloo or Victoria & change there rather than getting the bus through the Rush Hour.

What day of the Week, as if your going Mon to Fri it may be better to get the Tube to either Waterloo or Victoria & change there rather than getting the bus through the Rush Hour.
We are going midweek next week, looking at suggestions I will probably go Victoria or Vauxhall and then surface to Clapham.

Status
Not open for further replies.